HiRez Poll Weather Report - TALE SPINNIN' [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Weather Report - TALE SPINNIN'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Rather, I imagine those two AF releases were purchased in lesser numbers thanks to their lack of quad.
Yes but AF felt that their lower production costs was worth losing just a few resulting sales.

D/V has stepped up and rectified the situation twice now in regards to quad masters we failed to get after having them in the pipeline.

The RTF was an earth shaking event when it arrived with quad, but “Tales had a more subdued response. But reviews in this thread are quite strong.

It does not mean GF’s All the Girls in the World is coming out in quad.

How’s the stereo layer on this multichannel release? I’m wondering if this could be considered the definitive digital version for both stereo and quad mixes. That would be great!
Edit: on a separate matter: is it clear from the liner notes who mixed this album to quad? Thanks

Last edited:
How’s the stereo layer on this multichannel release? I’m wondering if this could be considered the definitive digital version for both stereo and quad mixes. That would be great!
Edit: on a separate matter: is it clear from the liner notes who mixed this album to quad? Thanks

yes, the rear inlay states;

Quadraphonic remix engineer : Bruce Botnick

Great, thanks. I didn’t know that Bruce did also surround mixes. I’ve listened to it only once and I quite like it.

you're welcome 🙂

he also mixed Best Of The Doors into Quad (with Paul Rothchild), plus he mixed all the classic Doors albums into 5.1 for the Perception boxset and he mixed some Dave Mason, Mac Davis and Earth Wind & Fire Quad albums.

Tale Spinnin' is, for me, his best surround music mix, its wonderful! its a QQ "10" all day long in my book! 👍

I haven't heard any other masterings of this album—stereo or quad, analog or digital—so I can't comment comparatively, but in isolation, the stereo mix sounds great and is up to Michael Dutton's usual high standard.

I haven't heard any other masterings of this album—stereo or quad, analog or digital—so I can't comment comparatively, but in isolation, the stereo mix sounds great and is up to Michael Dutton's usual high standard.
Thanks for the opinion. I agree that Michael Dutton has done a pretty good job so far. I'm going to pull the trigger on this title :)

I wonder if Bruce Botnick has heard the RW&F SACDs in 4.0, or this WR 4.0 reissue on SACD and what he thinks of his old quad mixes and their resurrection in modern times? I should call him up and ask him.

Dynamite release! Fidelity is wonderful, the surround mix is very immersive and the booklet has interesting liner notes detailing the history of the band and the tracks on this album. Complex music like this truly benefits from a quad release. There is so much detail in the music, having it spread out over 4 speakers really does it justice. A 10 from me.

Back