Weird Al: Streaming Revenue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

đź‘‚ 500 MPH EARS đź‘‚
QQ Supporter
Yeah, um, well I guess that's the difference between 80k streams & 26 billion streams. I've always liked Al's music but never think about it too often. He needs something up his profile. Maybe date a football player.
Well at this rate and after last night, it’s possible a lot of Seahawks players will be fully available in about a month. (No, I’m not bitter or panicking.)

I believe the way streaming revenue is distributed isn't "logical" either: the more popular artists get a bigger share of everything, it's not just broken down by individual stream count.

Plus it's rife with corruption: there are streaming farms set up by labels to guarantee their artists get high counts.

Somebody who used get paid to do that posted a video, not sure if it's been taken down or not.

I believe the way streaming revenue is distributed isn't "logical" either: the more popular artists get a bigger share of everything, it's not just broken down by individual stream count.

Plus it's rife with corruption: there are streaming farms set up by labels to guarantee their artists get high counts.

Somebody who used get paid to do that posted a video, not sure if it's been taken down or not.
Streaming farms?

Yeah, um, well I guess that's the difference between 80k streams & 26 billion streams. I've always liked Al's music but never think about it too often. He needs something to up his profile. Maybe date a football player.
Yeah, I'm kinda in the free market camp. I have never considered buying anything or streaming anything from AL. On the other hand, I set an alarm to try and time the window of sale for a Taylor cardigan sweater at the request of my daughter. It sold out between my refreshes on her store web page. Bam! All gone. Taylor sold out Sofi stadium....like 80,000 people!

Anywho...the market will always work itself out if given the opportunity. All these unfair practices and "farms" or whatever hurting people??? What? Let's get some more regulations and rules to make everybody a winner!

fckn ridiculous...
like Dr. John would refer to it... the music RACKET!..not "business"
The Netflix series "The Playlist" shines light on the beginnings of Spotify (Daniel Ek) and their idea or mission that music needs to be free. That vision up against the industry (Per Sundin) Sony Music Sweden, who's vision is that music can't be free.

Originally the industry was primarily up against The Pirate Bay, that name describes their intended purpose. Personally I still occasionally look for titles there if I can't find them elsewhere. I like downloads and have never embraced streaming. Spotify brought in the idea of streaming and instant search and playback, that became an even bigger threat to the industry.

Out of legal wrangling the eventually came to a deal obviously to appease the industry. Nether of the two sides gave a damn about the artist. I'm sure that the rich superstars had enough clout to ensure that they got their cut but screw the little guy!

Anywho...the market will always work itself out if given the opportunity. All these unfair practices and "farms" or whatever hurting people??? What? Let's get some more regulations and rules to make everybody a winner!

Who said anything about regulation? Or are you just someone who tries to bring politics into everything?

Who said anything about regulation? Or are you just someone who tries to bring politics into everything?
I'm just speaking my opinion...putting my thoughts out there on more of an economic theory than political. I didn't lesrn market theories in a course in politics or in somesort of political party literature. It was in a business education program, agnostic from a political standpoint.

But...!, I certainly welcome a discourse of a political nature if it can be done without undue emotion and includes a valuable exchange of thoughts and ideas, and of course outside QQ Forum!

But yeah, I'm a free market guy. If that gets anybody riled up in concept alone, I doubt a good discourse we could have. 🤣

Well if Al is doing the math right, this is pretty damn shocking:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/weird-al-yankovic-thanks-spotify-064407648.html
It makes me wonder why artists have embraced the streaming approach? Maybe they should go back to physical media. That has had better return in the past, yes?
Artists emphatically haven't embraced streaming, but at this stage of the game, they effectively have no choice. As music writer Wayne Robins put it on his Substack yesterday: Spotify is "the music streaming app from which I get value, even if the musicians, songwriters, and artists don’t."

Last edited:
I'm just speaking my opinion...putting my thoughts out there on more of an economic theory than political. I didn't lesrn market theories in a course in politics or in somesort of political party literature. It was in a business education program, agnostic from a political standpoint.

But...!, I certainly welcome a discourse of a political nature if it can be done without undue emotion and includes a valuable exchange of thoughts and ideas, and of course outside QQ Forum!

But yeah, I'm a free market guy. If that gets anybody riled up in concept alone, I doubt a good discourse we could have. 🤣

Trying to put everything in simple black/white is why you probably can't have "good discourse" with anyone outside whatever bubble you're in. You can't have economics without politics, and you can't have a market without regulation. There is no such thing as a purely free market. Your politically agnostic business education program has failed you.

Back