what were the best quad car stereos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbyquad

I was thinking about putting a quad system in my 79 vw bus and was wondering how to go about it.

Should i think about a modern 5.1 system or an older quad 8 track?

And what were the best car quad systems in the 70's?

Back in the day, I had a Lear Jet quad 8 / FM deck. It was a great unit. But I'd probably steer toward a portable DVD player such as the Panasonic DVD-PA65. No screen but video outputs provided. I bought it because it does DVD Audio and plays all my DTS CDR discs (even though specs say it won't)

newbyquad said:
I was thinking about putting a quad system in my 79 vw bus and was wondering how to go about it.

Should i think about a modern 5.1 system or an older quad 8 track?

And what were the best car quad systems in the 70's?
My vote for the all time best quad car 8 track goes to the Craig/Pioneer 3129. This deck was extremely well made with a beefy chassis and powerfull (for it's day) amp. I installed a number of these in the mid seventies. They were pretty spendy, around $200 if memory serves.

If you want to go analogue, a Rockford Fosgate RFQ5000 will give you a choice of quad or 5.1. The Fosgate Gavotte was an earlier version of it. A car 5.1 DVD player would be the ultimate, especially if it has Pro-Logic II in it. There are DTS CD players that are decent too, and not as costly.

Whatever you do, don't go with a sherwood DTS CD system, nothing but complete and utter crap.

Back