What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Petty: An American Treasure (Deluxe). The sound is OK but it could have been better if the powers that be hadn't (apparently) decided to add more compression to the CD and iTunes versions. Presumably this is an attempt to force people who want to avoid compression to buy the much more expensive vinyl and hi-res download versions.

Have been anxious to get this one:

And Oar Again - Alexander "Skip" Spence 3 CD

Bought this on LP, UK CD, expanded CD, more expanded CD, and this one. It originally sold "double linoleum."

Skip was the original drummer in Jefferson Airplane. Marty Balin's obit in Rolling Stone refers to him as "Slip(sic)."

He left Airplane to form Moby Grape.

There was a tribute album to Oar featuring Robert Plant and others.

Tom Petty: An American Treasure (Deluxe). The sound is OK but it could have been better if the powers that be hadn't (apparently) decided to add more compression to the CD and iTunes versions. Presumably this is an attempt to force people who want to avoid compression to buy the much more expensive vinyl and hi-res download versions.

Uggg! Mines being shipped from amazonUK. Had I known extra compression was being added I would have cancelled.....

Have been anxious to get this one:

And Oar Again - Alexander "Skip" Spence 3 CD

Bought this on LP, UK CD, expanded CD, more expanded CD, and this one. It originally sold "double linoleum."

Skip was the original drummer in Jefferson Airplane. Marty Balin's obit in Rolling Stone refers to him as "Slip(sic)."

He left Airplane to form Moby Grape.

There was a tribute album to Oar featuring Robert Plant and others.

I bought a copy of the 1999 Sundazed CD editon of Oar about 3 weeks ago. Supposed to be the original mix (with 10 bonus tracks). Sounds great!

Uggg! Mines being shipped from amazonUK. Had I known extra compression was being added I would have cancelled.....

It's listenable and the content is very good but the sound is not quite as good as it could have been. The same weekend I bought the new Aretha Franklin singles collection which, although in mono (which is OK for the material), has its dynamic range intact. It's a shame that Tom Petty's material couldn't have ben given the same respect for us CD buyers.

Not everyone's cup of blue eyed soul, but I've been stocking up on original vinyl releases of The Rascals....yeah, like everyone else after Sgt. Peppers they had a couple of "concept" albums....and jazz, I've developed a fondness for Anita O'Day, great talent even if her vices got the better of her sometimes.

Latest used cds Ella Fitzgerald Take Love Easy JVC XRCD.......yes it does sound very good
Mickey Hart. Planet Drum. On reliable Rykodisc
Gorecki symphony no 3. Nonsuch cd

I did pick up Egypt Station with the two extra tracks And like a lot of the songs.

Then there are some Kinks double cd legacy editions, John Coltrane. Larry Young Unity.............

I only worked 5 hours today, so when I got off I headed downtown to my record stores. The first one was able to tease me with box sets I can't afford yet with the G & R set and the Roxy Box. I am sure there were more but I wasn't looking that hard. The other had a few Tull & King Crimson boxes. I was only looking for a couple newer cd's I had not bought yet. I ended up with : Paul Weller - True Meanings deluxe, Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Downey To Lubbock, The Posies - Frosting On The Beater 2 disc set, The Pandoras - Hey! It's The Pandoras and the bluray of The US Festival. I was looking for a couple others, but will get them off the net. I felt like it was a pretty good music day. I now look at the titles after I have typed this and realize it was a very diverse music purchasing day. Scott

T
I only worked 5 hours today, so when I got off I headed downtown to my record stores. The first one was able to tease me with box sets I can't afford yet with the G & R set and the Roxy Box. I am sure there were more but I wasn't looking that hard. The other had a few Tull & King Crimson boxes. I was only looking for a couple newer cd's I had not bought yet. I ended up with : Paul Weller - True Meanings deluxe, Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Downey To Lubbock, The Posies - Frosting On The Beater 2 disc set, The Pandoras - Hey! It's The Pandoras and the bluray of The US Festival. I was looking for a couple others, but will get them off the net. I felt like it was a pretty good music day. I now look at the titles after I have typed this and realize it was a very diverse music purchasing day. Scott

The Posies Awesome :SB:LB:SB

CD : Phil Collins 'Plays Well With Others' - an eclectic mix of his sessions and odds and ends. Some nice stuff on there that even a gigantic Genesis nerd like me hadn't heard yet. :)

LP : XTC 'Apple Venus' and 'Wasp Star', both the new 200g vinyl reissues. Very impressed with them both.

Patrick Hawes: The Great War Symphony. Great sound, very well recorded. It should provide a nice companion piece to the new Peter Jackson movie "They Shall Not Grow Old" which, judging by the previews, features some stunning restoration and colourization work.

The Target edition of Steve's big comeback album (with 5 extra tracks)

45162761071_ccae0eb774.jpg

Back