What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edgar Winter's White Trash (Sony CD EK 30512).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 161
Give it everything you've got. Like many, I came in on Frankenstein and TOCOAN. Then started buying all Edgar Winter albums. White Trash has moments as does the overblown Shock Treatment. Saw them live as that ST was new, introducing Bad Company as support act that night. I found that Entrance (1970) was terribly underrated and perhaps was the most realized album he made IMHO. It showcased all of his strengths, had an amazing jazz feel, Tobacco Road and some actual seeds of Frankenstein. The CD issue sounds really good and is well worth seeking out.

From QQ deep space

Got this in the mail today from Japan. Playing time 47:44

Attachments

• dire_straits_platinum.jpg
    dire_straits_platinum.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 156
Saw them live as that ST was new, introducing Bad Company as support act that night.

I saw that tour as well - at the Toronto show it was Bad Company, ELO and Edgar Winter. I was just 2 months shy of 15 back then and loved every minute of it.

These were in the mail today:

Yann Tiersen - Infinity
yanntiersen-infinity.jpg

Echo & the Bunnymen - Meteorites
echobunnymen_meteoriteslp.jpg

Smoke Fairies - Smoke Fairies
5060246125177.zoom.1.jpg

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye.

SHM-CD Turquoise HR Cutting.

What surprised me is this isn't the MFSL SACD mastering which Universal Japan re-used for their SHM-SACD but a brand new 2013 flat DSD transfer from the master tapes by Kevin Reeves. From the first few tracks I've heard so far it sounds excellent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 140
Who's Next - The Who.

2013 "Turquoise HR Cutting" SHM-CD from the 2010 SHM-SACD DSD transfer by Jon Astley. Just played it all the way through (again!) and it sounds really great, possibly the best I've ever heard it.

After the Steve Hoffman CD, the W.German Polydor CD, a US MCA CD without SH's mastering and this version.. I think I'm done with this one on optical disc now, until/unless we ever see a 5.1 :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 135
Surprisingly Who's Next is still in print on SHM SACD. Is that SHM CD from the DSD master?

Who's Next - The Who.

2013 "Turquoise HR Cutting" SHM-CD from the 2010 SHM-SACD DSD transfer by Jon Astley. Just played it all the way through (again!) and it sounds really great, possibly the best I've ever heard it.

After the Steve Hoffman CD, the W.German Polydor CD, a US MCA CD without SH's mastering and this version.. I think I'm done with this one on optical disc now, until/unless we ever see a 5.1 :)

I can't seem to locate this one. Anyone have a link? Thanks

I'd get that one but I'm only a QQ'aphile, not an audiophile.. :D

How do they like SHM over at the SHF?
Over there anything other than a standard CD is snake oil. Doesn't matter how much better it sounds.

Over there anything other than a standard CD is snake oil. Doesn't matter how much better it sounds.

oh dear.. I'm clearly not fit to be an audiophile, I love most of the new Platinum & HR Cutting Turquoise SHM's and SHM-SACDs I've been getting from Japan lately! :eek: almost all of them sound truly excellent to me! must be all the snake oil in my tank makes me snake hips Joe! :banana:

What's wrong with new music? Stuff recorded in 2014 or thereabouts ... I listen to satellite radio -- don't know if they have that in the UK, but that's where I hear new music, and sometimes at the gym. Can't listen to dead people all the time.

What's wrong with new music? Stuff recorded in 2014 or thereabouts ... I listen to satellite radio -- don't know if they have that in the UK, but that's where I hear new music, and sometimes at the gym. Can't listen to dead people all the time.

Nothing at all, it's mainly a practical consideration though there's other reasons behind it too :)

I tend to buy new music by younger artists more disposably than older stuff, usually on iTunes and the older music I treat as more collectible so I still like to get 60's/70's/80's/90's stuff on a physical format.

on iTunes I can just buy new singles as individual tracks or EPs without eating into anymore shelf space and its great for chart or pop albums too since most of the time the mastering doesn't require CD or Hi-Res etc., so it all works perfectly well for me in lossy download form.

My last iTunes downloads were things like the Aloe Blacc and Pharell albums, stuff like that, where I really don't want or need physical discs or lossless D/L's and I generally play them more on the go on my iDevices rather than sat in the sweet spot between the big speakers! The speakers and discs are reserved for the oldies but goldies.

Back