What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Adam! What's it like?

oh I don't know yet Mike, I'll let you know how I get on with decoding etc :)

on a related tangent, am going to see Motown the Musical tomorrow night with me bessie mate.. ain't nothin like the real thing (baby).. but a jukebox musical of all their big hits is the next big thing I guess!? should be fun.. I wonder what Marvin numbers they'll do.. I also wonder what Stevie Wonder stuff they'll do.. ahh..

IMG_0037.JPG

Got a sealed copy off eBay and played it once...incredible mix! On "moanin" there is an instrument in each speaker. Would love to see a DVD-A conversion of this. Also it has a green "victor world group" label which I've never seen before. according to mark Anderson discography there is a Q8...has anyone seen/heard it?

Great jazz recording in quad

Good catch for a rarity, FB ! (y)

I believe this( WEA-)AtlanticVirgin pressing went OOP quite early in the 70's . And yes I do have a copy. :smokin

Collectible it may be FW.. but sadly this copy I've acquired is borderline unplayable.. not even worth the £4 I paid for it.. pressed wildly off centre and a poppy click fest throughout.. ah well, it's not as if we don't have a discrete version on M/C SACD already! :D

Collectible it may be FW.. but sadly this copy I've acquired is borderline unplayable.. not even worth the £4 I paid for it.. pressed wildly off centre and a poppy click fest throughout.. ah well, it's not as if we don't have a discrete version on M/C SACD already! :D

Don't feel too bad. I believe my 74 pressing in cd-4 is poppy-ticky as well . Those early years they pressed cd-4......hits and misses for the most part.

It's no wonder why CD-4 was the first to go----no brainer, really.:rolleyes:

I held onto a sealed copy of tubular bells CD-4 for 22 years thinking it would command a good price. It did not bring much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. fredy
I have a copy as well have not played it yet.
I believe I read some ware her on QQ that the CD-4 version mix was crap, I cant verify this I have not listened to it to pass comment but I do like the SQ version.
Bill.

Hi. fredy
I have a copy as well have not played it yet.
I believe I read some ware her on QQ that the CD-4 version mix was crap, I cant verify this I have not listened to it to pass comment but I do like the SQ version.
Bill.

oh I don't know Bill, I just presumed it was the same Quad as the SQ/SACD.. it sounded so bad I nearly threw it in the bin tbh.. but have framed it instead as it's one of those ubiquitous "cool" covers.. bah! :p

oh I don't know Bill, I just presumed it was the same Quad as the SQ/SACD.. it sounded so bad I nearly threw it in the bin tbh.. but have framed it instead as it's one of those ubiquitous "cool" covers.. bah! :p

I don't have that SACD yet ,,,passed on it about a decade ago---too costly then.

That CD-4 DISC is a rarity though and I was not impressed with mine and always pulled out one of the two SQ editions I own to have a cleaner ,quieter listen to.........so that's how much I luv mine.:rolleyes:

That's CD-4 though , Sometimes they bowl you over , but then there are times even a good discrete mix can offend when it's full of amplified pops, ticks, and scratchy sounding signal breakup.
I can only imagine what fabulous expletives the recording engineers had after listening to an inferior disc .
Too bad many many, more discrete reels or cassettes were not manufacturered .

And in your case Freddums, you are now spoiled as ALL of us are with true clean discrete SACD, DVDA, BLU-RAY, DVD, and DTS CD.

Oh well, we get what they give us I suppose.
:D

GREAT title, Adam. This was one of my suggestions [as well as Bmoura] to Dutton Vocalion for a QUAD SACD transfer. How does it sound? I only have it on a remastered Stereo RBCD.

I heard a conversion sometime last year, its very good with a nice active surround mix.
It'll be interesting to see how the new stylus & demod combo work out, I shall test it with this one soon.

I heard a conversion sometime last year, its very good with a nice active surround mix.
It'll be interesting to see how the new stylus & demod combo work out, I shall test it with this one soon.

Is that stylus you bought considered an upgrade? Guess I don't know what you currently have/had.... I assume it is, or you wouldn't have spent the moolah on it.

Is that stylus you bought considered an upgrade? Guess I don't know what you currently have/had.... I assume it is, or you wouldn't have spent the moolah on it.

hey Gene, I guess you could say it's an upgrade of sorts but more than anything my AT cart was knackered (it has had quite some use in all fairness) so I needed to get something.. maybe a sideways step rather than an upgrade to some, seeing as they're similar price points and both have their pros and cons, etc.

The old cart was an Audio Technica AT440MLb, which some QQ-ers have had good experiences with, with CD-4 and/or with SQ/QS/Stereo. Personally I've never been totally captivated by its sound or its performance with CD-4 LPs, though the AT was a huge step up from my old Ortofon OM5, I got a hankering back for the old Denon MC sound I used to have and love.. so after seeing someone here and at the Hoffman board posting to the effect that their newly acquired Denon DL-110 played back their CD-4 records no problem (despite it not being a Shibata or MicroLine stylus, it's frequency range capability extends to 45khz as it is a "special elliptical" something akin to a fine line stylus, afaik) anyway.. i thought what the heck I'll get one, so I did and have given it a brief play around with over the weekend, so far, so not bad (y)

hey Gene, I guess you could say it's an upgrade of sorts but more than anything my AT cart was knackered (it has had quite some use in all fairness) so I needed to get something.. maybe a sideways step rather than an upgrade to some, seeing as they're similar price points and both have their pros and cons, etc.

The old cart was an Audio Technica AT440MLb, which some QQ-ers have had good experiences with, with CD-4 and/or with SQ/QS/Stereo. Personally I've never been totally captivated by its sound or its performance with CD-4 LPs, though the AT was a huge step up from my old Ortofon OM5, I got a hankering back for the old Denon MC sound I used to have and love.. so after seeing someone here and at the Hoffman board posting to the effect that their newly acquired Denon DL-110 played back their CD-4 records no problem (despite it not being a Shibata or MicroLine stylus, it's frequency range capability extends to 45khz as it is a "special elliptical" something akin to a fine line stylus, afaik) anyway.. i thought what the heck I'll get one, so I did and have given it a brief play around with over the weekend, so far, so not bad (y)

Well, Adamblue, sounds like you have a sock drawer, an underwear drawer and, er, a cartridge drawer. Ever think of adding some of those room tune devices to your listening space to help control the sound? I, personally, could NOT live without them as MOST [if not ALL] listening spaces are hardly optimized for sound reinforcement. Those built in Audyssey gizmos are somewhat effective, but seriously, you are such a fanatic, you need to look into optimizing your listening space. Helps control the bass and reflective sounds and I really don't give a flying f**k* what all the anti-snake oil critics 'mumble.....' THEY WORK

[*Pardon the Purple Prose]

Last edited:
Back