What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERANO PORTEÑO
TANGO ALL STARS
CD-4 (CD4W-7066)
*First time I tried to order this one from discogs, the seller sent me a stereo only version, which I don't see in discogs;
(that one had the OBI, unfortunately this Quad didn't) but it looks to be in Mint condition.

folder.jpg

There are so many lovely Quad LPs to be found nowadays as record collectors either sell their collections or their estates do after their passing.

I initially resisted buying CD-4 records because of the amount of aggro involved with the playback experience, I was missing out on too many great titles. I'll eventually get the necessary gear, but in the meantime, I'm having a ball finding these beauties. I'm a huge fan of Instrumental Pop (what people usually call Easy Listening) which less and less in demand, which makes it easier for me to get at decent prices, except for a few exceptions.

The first pressing of the Bridge Over Troubled Water album came with an obi like the one for the Love Story album. My pressing must be a later one or they may have decided to switch obi designs somewhere down the road.

Richard Gold Orchestra - Last Tango In Paris / Big Band Screen Spectacle

Grand Fantastic Strings – Love Story / Fantastic Strings Mood

Grand Fantastic Strings – Bridge Over Troubled Water - The Great Hits Of The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel

Grand Fantastic Strings - Touch Me In The Morning / World Top Hit Vol. 2

CD-4 01.jpg

Last edited:
@fizzywiggs41

Do you expect a good Quad effect playing CD-4 through a decoder? I've never considered doing that.
It won't be exactly as intended , but....
I'm hoping for a "happy accident" type of effect . (Eg TYA -ASIT , 2013 CD)

Speaking of which :
I also picked up a stereo copy of Hayward and Lodges - Blue Jays , Now that recording was a mix down from the 4channel master tapes .
According to Ray Thomas , Threshold Studios was set up for quadraphonic firstly and then Stereo. So all the Threshold releases in the mid/early 70's were mixdowns from 4channel.(probably 73 onwards).

IIRC, Rush used a Blue Jays record as their intro tape on an early tour.

That's interesting to note. I assume not the bird nor the baseball team .

BTW Baggie , how are you making out with your newly acquired CD-4 System ?
Are you finding some quadradiscs are a task to demodulate , over others ?

More importantly do they need good cleanings , and is your stylus doin it's job ?

That's interesting to note. I assume not the bird nor the baseball team .

BTW Baggie , how are you making out with your newly acquired CD-4 System ?
Are you finding some quadradiscs are a task to demodulate , over others ?

More importantly do they need good cleanings , and is your stylus doin it's job ?
The band! Pre-Moody Blues, maybe?
I haven't messed with CD-4 much yet, due to life.
You've asked excellent questions.
I hope they'll receive excellent answers, in due time.

Playing any CD-4 record through a matrix decoder is exactly the same as playing any regular two channel record through a matrix decoder. The results are totally dependent on how information from the two channels is "interpreted" by the decoder circuitry. The ultrasonic engravings on the CD-4 record don't even enter into it.

Now, if the CD-4 mix is different from the two channel record of the same title, you may get different results from that of if you play the regular two channel record but it has nothing to do with the record being a CD-4 record per se.

Doug

Just got this one in from Japan; has anyone heard this CD-4?
Looks like the title is ~ "Warner Beatniks*, New Jazz Sextet – jazz composition with four sources" "Jazz in Quadarphonic"
https://www.discogs.com/release/10005033-ワーナービートニックス-ニュージャズセクステット-四つの音源によるジ
I'll need to clean it first before I attempt a play.

What I found interesting, is the inside cover has each song laid out in Quad as to where the instruments are (see pic 2)

Also being a Warner Brothers -(pic 3).; maybe Rhino can do a Quadio of it :LOL:

folder.jpg

inside R.jpg

LP SIDE 1.jpg

Back