What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stylistics 'Rockin' Roll Baby' (CD4W-7063)

My first Avco Japanese CD-4 - there are 6 Stylistics, 2 Van McCoy, & 1 Louis Armstrong album in total from Avco that are part of the JVC 'CD4W' series. These seem incredibly difficult to find (even moreso than the Motown titles that are part of the same series) unless you're prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on a Buy It Now on eBay. So suffice it to say I was really happy to find this one (from a seller in Russia of all places!) for only 10 Euros. I think I did pretty well, as a copy sold on eBay last week for $71 US.

stylistics-rrb-1.jpg

stylistics-rrb-2.jpg

stylistics-rrb-7.jpg

stylistics-rrb-8.jpg

"God bless you (Dave)
You make me feel brand new
(Dave).." :eek:

I have had to accept I'll most likely never own most of the CD-4 Quads from Japan I really want (the Motown, Avco & Feliciano Japanese Quad LPs are top of the list.. as you say, they regularly go for nutzoid sums.. :( )

ah well.. "nobody wants Quad", "Quad's a tough sell", etc.. (that must be why these old Quad records regularly change hands for a small fortune.. :confused: )

Hi. All

Another batch of CD-4 came the other day.

( RCA. CD-4 R4J-7005 -Lecuona Cuban Boys Malaguena )-
( RCA. CD-4 R4J-7003 -Grand Fantastic Strings Super 50-16 Sound )-
( RCA. CD-4 R4J-7008 -Grand Fantastic Strings Fantastic Strings Mood Vol.3 )-
( Victor CD-4 CD4B-5008 -Latin Rhythm Festival )-
( Philips. CD-4 4DX-62 -Paul Mauriat Fascinating Sound CD-4 )-
( Philips. CD-4 4DX-6 -Super Stereo Sound Peter Covent International )-

IMG_1188.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg

Picked these up as 2nd copies. Fairly rare to find sealed copies and at a price I am willing to pay. Learned my lesson about buying opened records from Ebay no mater how "mint" the seller says they are. These two titles get a lot of play. The Elvis even cam with a poster.

Attachments

• Elvis & Godfather.jpg
    Elvis & Godfather.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 148
Wow, the jacket looks to be in fantastic condition! Every time I see one of those Japanese Motown CD-4's my heart flutters a little. :music

Wow, the jacket looks to be in fantastic condition! Every time I see one of those Japanese Motown CD-4's my heart flutters a little. :music

It is in pretty good nick.. (the disc ain't bad either.. :eek: )

..no obi strip.. but I don't mind Dirty Diana without her sash on, so long as she leaves that hat on, the saucy little minx! :yikes

Not a threadcrap at all, not least since I have more CD-4 discs on "the pile" to take snaps of and will pop by here and post about them arriving etc when I get round to it but will just take this opportunity to say that as of now I'm having to unfortunately put my CD-4 exploits on hold, for the moment at least.. why?

1.) Finances
(the whole exercise has cost me a small fortune, I can't afford to do CD-4 and resume other 5.1 and Quad buying, something has to give and its CD-4 at this time),

2.) Sound quality issues
(Before I play around with CD-4 any more, I need to try and troubleshoot and hopefully discover whatever it is in the chain that is causing the Left channels of my demods too often to suffer unpleasant splatter and distortion... the Right channels are, most of the time, ok, or at least nowhere near as bad as the Left pair, usually. I suspect its either a turntable setup issue, or the demodulator maybe.. or it could just be that unless I can get sealed or mint CD-4 vinyl its a waste of time and money, I don't know..)

anyway, I'm happy for you all here who can get CD-4 working to your satisfaction,
right now I can't so I'm (reluctantly, somewhat) throwing in the towel..! :D

I just love the Mancini Salutes Sousa album. It is one of the very few albums that I own on CD4, Q4 & Q8. It is also a title that I hope Dutton releases soon.

I just love the Mancini Salutes Sousa album. It is one of the very few albums that I own on CD4, Q4 & Q8. It is also a title that I hope Dutton releases soon.

oh yes! I had a big silly grin on my face at various points the first time I heard the Quad..

..more discrete, active and playful surround than I was expecting including stuff like round the room pans
(FL > FR > RR culminating in the big bass drum BOOM in the centre) and a particularly cool trick of a moderately slow across the room pan
that makes the marching band appear to literally walk from one side of your room to the other! (FL & RL >>> FR & RR) :D

..my 50th CD-4 LP.. :eek:

may God give me the strength to demodulate it! :party
I don't know..I do have my doubts whether GOD (whichever one you may be referring to) is a Surround fan... if a Deity were a Surround fan, it should have NEVER gone away...so I think we're dealing here with Saints...who , some of them , are the REAL deities......

Back