What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, interesting day at the flea market. I bought these all together for $20.

A compiltion disc I've never seen or heard of. Columbia Special Products SQ Quadraphonic (SQ)
(Some interesting things. Typical early Columbia quad. The required Open Up Wide by Chase. Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Barbara, etc. )

Loggins And Messina (SQ) (I have Full Sail already, that's all the L&M isn't it?)

A couple Capitol Quads.

Instrumental Hit Sounds of John Morell (SQ)

New Songs of The Seventies - Sounds of The Seventies Orchestra (SQ)

Great Hits From The Great Gatsby Era - Enoch Light & The Light Brigate (SQ)

I can't wait to try this with my EV-4 decoder.

Bonnie Koloc - after all this time (EV-4) (This has the big Ovation Records gold EV-4 sticker on the cover.)

Hmm, interesting day at the flea market. I bought these all together for $20.

A compiltion disc I've never seen or heard of. Columbia Special Products SQ Quadraphonic (SQ)
(Some interesting things. Typical early Columbia quad. The required Open Up Wide by Chase. Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Barbara, etc. )

Loggins And Messina (SQ) (I have Full Sail already, that's all the L&M isn't it?)

A couple Capitol Quads.

Instrumental Hit Sounds of John Morell (SQ)

New Songs of The Seventies - Sounds of The Seventies Orchestra (SQ)

Great Hits From The Great Gatsby Era - Enoch Light & The Light Brigate (SQ)

I can't wait to try this with my EV-4 decoder.

Bonnie Koloc - after all this time (EV-4) (This has the big Ovation Records gold EV-4 sticker on the cover.)

I'd be interested to know how it sounds through the Surround Master compared to your EV-4 Decoder...:phones

The Surround Master seems to do a pretty good job (if not totally faithful) for EV-4...

Last edited:
That's 1/2 of the Loggins & Messina. Native Sons is the other US release. Sittin' In was also released in Japan.
271003345755.jpg

...Loggins And Messina (SQ) (I have Full Sail already, that's all the L&M isn't it?)...

Ah, I got a package today. A lot of SQ's I got for $39 shipped.

Santana III (SQ)

Azteca (SQ)

Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits (SQ)

Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky (SQ)

Santana (First self titled) (SQ) (I have wanted this one so much)

I think I did pretty darn good on this buy. I've also been waiting to hear EW&F in quad. I really need Spirit and That's the Way of the World but this will do for now. I listened to I Wanna Take You Higher from Sly's hits the other night on the Surround Master (from one of the SQ compilations). It was amazing, so I have *high* hopes for the rest of that record. I've never even heard Azteca in stereo so that should be neat.

I got fed up waiting for the old stuff to be re-released on DVD-Audio/Blu-ray, so my first SQ Vinyl since Mike Oldfield's "Exposed" in 1979 has arrived! Sitting on the shelves are the SQ discs I bought way back then, Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", BJH "Once Again", Edgar Winter's "They Only Come Out At Night", Deep Purple's "Machine Head", Mike Oldfield's "Boxed", & "Exposed".

So I now possess the SQ version of Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives OF Henry VIII" :banana:

The only trouble is the turntable has packed in and all I've got to decode it is the simple basic SQ decode box I built as a student in 1977/78. So whilst I work out what do about that, I'm going to trawl the internet for more quad vinyl!

Yes! Good luck on SQ buying! Remember, I am also out there shopping too. ;) I try to keep ebay purchases to a minimum though (while it may not look like it sometimes).

I don't want to sound like a broken record/PR man but the Surround Master is worth looking in to for quality SQ decoding.

Also, take your time and enjoy searching for the perfect turntable for your requirements. For me, turntble shopping is one of the most enjoyable experiences in the world.

Yes, I am a staunch believer in getting the REAL stuff (unless it's prohibitively /ridiculously expensive)

I got 3 copies of the Santana III(one of them a minty Jap pressing!), the first one (minty too, aamof , I think it's a promo copy!?), The Sly one, and the Azteca one...not to mention 2 copies of Aerosmith's GYW, etc,)
I think that they are great investments, not from a financial point of view (although now it seems more so than a few years ago), but for security sake...yes, the Sly one is on a "Robin" reel and the Santana III is in an inmaculate dts cd from another Robin Reel, but, I have some wicked homemade conversions of Santana I, and Azteca...
(Alas, the only EW&F I have is the SACD "Gratitude" which is one of the best sounding SACD ever!)

Good job , and slowly you'll get there...I also have stopped getting stuff from ebay cause I was getting tired of getting ripped off and , even though Ppal is "your friend", it's always a hassle...

John Svensson said:
It could be "rarer" simply because they were a fairly unknown act at that point.....I'd be interested in others comments also, I can grab a minty copy in a local shop for $20.
I have a quad copy of Carol King's "Music" enroute, labeled as such....the QU-88013 stamping. A QS coup I feel also. John S.

I was thinking about this. I haven't played this yet. I wanted to touch on the fact a couple people said that this was a "QS Coup". Are you guys saying that this was a Columbia quad marketed as their normal SQ but actually encoded in QS? Weird. Are there other turncoat quad releases? Is there a list somewhere?

Carole King Music was released on Ode '70 Records, which was owned by Lou Adler. Ode '70 was a custom label of A&M. Many Ode '70 titles were released in QS, along with A&M's first Quad release: Come from the Shadows - Joan Baez. All subsequent A&M vinyl was released in SQ (CD-4 in Japan.) A&M was pressed by Columbia until they switched to RCA and CD-4 in '75. Ode '70 was sold to CBS many years later.

The original Ode was distributed by Columbia. They continue to distribute these titles, most notably Spirit. When Ode '70 signed with A&M, Spirit was signed to Epic (Columbia proper.)

I was thinking about this. I haven't played this yet. I wanted to touch on the fact a couple people said that this was a "QS Coup". Are you guys saying that this was a Columbia quad marketed as their normal SQ but actually encoded in QS? Weird. Are there other turncoat quad releases? Is there a list somewhere?

Carole King Music was released on Ode '70 Records, which was owned by Lou Adler. Ode '70 was a custom label of A&M. Many Ode '70 titles were released in QS, along with A&M's first Quad release: Come from the Shadows - Joan Baez. All subsequent A&M vinyl was released in SQ (CD-4 in Japan.) A&M was pressed by Columbia until they switched to RCA and CD-4 in '75. Ode '70 was sold to CBS many years later.

The original Ode was distributed by Columbia. They continue to distribute these titles, most notably Spirit. When Ode '70 signed with A&M, Spirit was signed to Epic (Columbia proper.)

I'd better pick up the quad of this that I saw locally here...(y)

Also refer to the A&M page:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/aandm.htm

I quoted the wrong post to get the answer I need. I sould have quoted the post about REO Speedwagon Lost In A Dream. That was being called a "QS coup" record. I was trying to verify that it was QS instead of SQ as advertised being an Epic/Columbia quad. Also if that applies to This Time We Mean It (which I need to find). Sorry for the confusion.

But I do have Come From the Shadows too :D

Sly and the Family Stone "Small Talk" had never had this one until I bumped into the SQ copy at my local store, pristine vinyl condition too. Not bad music or mix...though not as hot as the Greatest Hits.
I have a QS 101 Strings enroute also, "Today's Hits"....don't have quite as high hopes for that!

John Svensson said:
Sly and the Family Stone "Small Talk" had never had this one until I bumped into the SQ copy at my local store, pristine vinyl condition too. Not bad music or mix...though not as hot as the Greatest Hits.
I have a QS 101 Strings enroute also, "Today's Hits"....don't have quite as high hopes for that!

Nice! I still need to try out my copy of Sly Stone High On You

Something came in the mail for me today. This is one of those ebay purchases where I don't know if everyone else missed it, or if no one cares about this LP. The listing had the title mistaken with one of his other albums.

Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm (SQ) (was like $21 shipped)

Contains his big hit "Disco Lady"

Very very minty. Cover is almost like new. I'm guessing that this pretty darn rare as there doesn't seem to be any mention of it on QQ and it is a 1976 end-of-the-era quad.

I am a big disco fan, so I bought it mainly for "Disco Lady" and a handfull of other songs on it which are disco-ish.

"Move it in , move it around, Shove it In, around, about, Disco Lady"

Interesting to see the A&M version of "Music".

My copy of Carole King's "Music" is on the Ode label and has a cropped picture of Carole at the piano on side 1 and the normal Ode quad label on side 2. The song titles are all listed on side 2.

There is also a lyrics sheet included and the inner sleeve has quad information on one side which indicates where the vocals and instruments should occur in the quadraphonic soundfield. It also has a fold over flap at the top.

It is a nice presentation.

Doug

Interesting to see the A&M version of "Music".

My copy of Carole King's "Music" is on the Ode label and has a cropped picture of Carole at the piano on side 1 and the normal Ode quad label on side 2. The song titles are all listed on side 2.

There is also a lyrics sheet included and the inner sleeve has quad information on one side which indicates where the vocals and instruments should occur in the quadraphonic soundfield. It also has a fold over flap at the top.

It is a nice presentation.

Doug

Sounds like there are at least three different versions of the record label, as there is the Japanese one also....

attachment.php

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-Music-on-vinyl&p=89610&viewfull=1#post89610

Back