What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

More matrix LP`s

( Vanguard. QS 4R-13 4R-14 -Blessed Are Joan Baez 2 LP set Volume 1. & 2. )-
( EMI. SQ Q2LA-9200 -Leonard Bernstien Schuman Cello Concerto )-

IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg

I dig me some Mac Davis. Good memories of the family watching his TV show back in the 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a rather nice album I think, Gene.. all the Mac Davis Quads (I've heard) are good solid records imho, nice tunes, great voice and arrangements.. perfect for a label like Dutton Vocalion to redo nowadays on Surround SACD I reckon.. :eek:

He had 5 Quad records in all afaik.. (maybe more but this is what I've got and all I could find info for trawling about online)..

Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me ('72),
Stop And Smell The Roses ('74),
All The Love In The World ('75),
Burnin' Thing ('75),
Thunder In The Afternoon ('77)..

Baby/Stop/Love Quads mixed by Don Young/Harold J Kleiner,
Burnin' Quad mixed by Bruce Botnick,
Thunder remixed by A.N.Onymous (no credit! :D ..and no "Quad familiar" names on the production & technical side of things so anybody's guess really..!)

fwiw Baby/Stop/All were no trouble to get in good nick, Thunder a bit harder and Burnin' v.difficult to track down at all in any condition (lucked out and got one in really good shape! phew! :p ).. curious as you'd think the Quad from 1977 would be the toughy as that was its last non-Classical hurrah.. but 1975 seems to be the year of the real Quad toughies (and the year of the only Columbia & assoc label SQ LP I really truly actually want at this stage.. Isley's Heat Is On.. ;) )

Hi. All
More matrix LP`s came today.

( Trio. SQ TD-4 -The Other Side Of Beatles )-
( PYE. ASTOR QS 2QUAD 1032 Military Musical Pageant 1975 Wembley Stadium 2 LP set )-
( Project3. SQ PR 5000 QD Enoch Light & The Light Brigade Spanish Strings )-
( EMI. SQ [1C 065-14079 Q] -Chopin Sonaten Alexis Weissenberg )-
( EMI. SQ Q2LA-9207 -Berlioz-Harold in Italy Leonard Bernstein )-

IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1231.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg

Last edited:
Friends - B.B. King (QS)

Recorded at Sigma Sound in Philadelphia (where all the PIR albums/quads were done) and engineered by Joe Tarsia (who owned the studio) and also mixed the quads of O'Jays 'Survival' and MFSB 'Love Is The Message', this one seems like it should be right up your street. ;)

Recorded at Sigma Sound in Philadelphia (where all the PIR albums/quads were done) and engineered by Joe Tarsia (who owned the studio) and also mixed the quads of O'Jays 'Survival' and MFSB 'Love Is The Message', this one seems like it should be right up your street. ;)

Oh yes Dave! :upthumb

..it is rather nice.. still prefer the O'Jays/MFSB etc., though there are flashes where this is almost BB King meets the Philly Soul sound,
not quite but v. enjoyable and indeed very much up my street as you rightly surmise!

..Surround Master does a pretty good job decoding it by and large too imho, the Involve boys should be proud :worthy

"Friends.. Friends, Friends, Friends, Friends, Friends, Friends, Friends.." :music
(lyrics by Will I Am Shakespeare)

I wonder if Friends was culled from leftovers from 'To Know You Is To Love You', the album B.B. King released the year before. Exactly the same backing musicians, same producer, recorded at Sigma Sound with Joe Tarsia, etc. Both albums are really short too, not much over 30 minutes - it's like they came out of those sessions with 65 or 70 minutes of music and decided that they could milk it for two short albums rather than one all-killer-no-filler one.

According to Mark Anderson's quad discography, 'To Know You Is To Love You' was released in quad, but only on Q8. It makes it a bit of an anomaly because I think all of B.B. King's albums from '71 to '74 saw QS LP release. I wonder why not that one? B.B. King's Q8 tapes seem to be as rare as hen's teeth too, I have no idea if half of the ones listed in the quad discography even exist or not!

I wonder if Friends was culled from leftovers from 'To Know You Is To Love You', the album B.B. King released the year before. Exactly the same backing musicians, same producer, recorded at Sigma Sound with Joe Tarsia, etc. Both albums are really short too, not much over 30 minutes - it's like they came out of those sessions with 65 or 70 minutes of music and decided that they could milk it for two short albums rather than one all-killer-no-filler one.

According to Mark Anderson's quad discography, 'To Know You Is To Love You' was released in quad, but only on Q8. It makes it a bit of an anomaly because I think all of B.B. King's albums from '71 to '74 saw QS LP release. I wonder why not that one? B.B. King's Q8 tapes seem to be as rare as hen's teeth too, I have no idea if half of the ones listed in the quad discography even exist or not!

Blimey.. very interesting..! Thanks Sherlock Dave! :upthumb

So.. (you know where I'm going with this, Dave ;) ) ...what's the chances any LP or even CD/download of that BB King album "To Know You Is To Love You" might be stealth QS-encoded?

iirc the iTunes of Crusaders' Southern Comfort album did some funky stuff thru PLII Music back when I was fiddling around with all that.. and that never got an official Quad release, did it? just that demo on the Quad headphones record or something iirc..? I should try it thru the Surround Master..!

(Ps. 2KnoUIs2LuvU Q8 not @Discogs.. ;) ..that might smoke one out.. ;) )

Edit: Scrap that about the iTunes of Southern Comfort, unless it was on the store and they've taken it down its not there now and I don't have it on my 'puter.. nah seems unlikely, musta been a CD, never had it on LP.. oops.. :eek: ..anyway I'll still try it! :D

Back