What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HANDEL / MESSIAH [VANGUARD SQ x 3 LP]

*The silver looking emblem on this box set on the upper left prominently advertises Quadraphonic Sound, and is not a sticker but an actual part of the image. The second scan is the back of the Booklet that shows how the microphones were positioned. And the last (3rd) scan details how Vanguard SQ Classical performances are recorded (#2 in Red.) So you can get a pretty good idea from these how it's going to sound in Quad.

folder.jpg

folder BOOKLET REAR.jpg

folder LP SLEEVE.jpg

Isnt Gos and @fredblue the authority on the Johnny Mathis quads? Nice jacket and tie Mr M.
oh yes! i adore this man's singing! 💘
i've all his Quads (numerous! 😅) except the Live In Person one but my favourite is the Thom Bell Produced/Larry Keyes mixed Quad "I'm Coming Home", which to me is just stunning 😍

Oh okay but I'm a physical disc guy not a streamer (except for tv)
Yes I'm an old fart.
It's fine really, not many folks can actually get the intended Quad out of Sony's bastard child 360RA, myself included; such a waist!

I agree though, that Mathis is some nice easy listening sick shit in Quad 🥳

I must look for that fredblue reccomended quad.....
Can't somebody reissue some quad Mathis?
My guess would be the only company interested in Johnny Mathis would be Dutton Vocalian. That style of music would fix in extremely well for what they offer.

I wonder who owns the rights? Columbia? Or maybe Mathis himself has control of this catalog. :unsure: That would likely make it harder to do.

oh yes! i adore this man's singing! 💘
i've all his Quads (numerous! 😅) except the Live In Person one but my favourite is the Thom Bell Produced/Larry Keyes mixed Quad "I'm Coming Home", which to me is just stunning 😍
I have that album, and I concur. Great mix, and all of the songs are great. The title cut is my favorite.

Over the past year or two I picked up several Johnny Mathis SQ encoded albums. I rather enjoyed them, not something that I would want to listen to everyday but good nonetheless. Back in the day I wouldn't have touched these with a ten foot pole. I must be getting old!

They would be a great choice for Dutton Vocalion, fitting their more usual easy listening style.

More than enough releases for a Quadio box set as well. It seems that Rhino has gotten away from those Quadio box sets now.

Over the past year or two I picked up several Johnny Mathis SQ encoded albums. I rather enjoyed them, not something that I would want to listen to everyday but good nonetheless. Back in the day I wouldn't have touched these with a ten foot pole. I must be getting old!

They would be a great choice for Dutton Vocalion, fitting their more usual easy listening style.

More than enough releases for a Quadio box set as well. It seems that Rhino has gotten away from those Quadio box sets now.
i was very fortunate my Dad was into so many great singers of the 50's/60's/70's and while us kids were growing up he was always playing their music around the house, so we were brought up on records by the likes of Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Jack Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Vic Damone, Peggy Lee, Matt Monro, Mel Tormé, all that good stuff, so whenever i go exploring for Quad/5.1/Atmos i lap up all and any Surround Music by singers of that ilk i can find 🤩

Dutton Vocalion are definitely our best hope for any releases of the Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams Quads, so absolutely got my fingers crossed on that front..!🤞🙏

i was very fortunate my Dad was into so many great singers of the 50's/60's/70's and while us kids were growing up he was always playing their music around the house, so we were brought up on records by the likes of Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Jack Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Vic Damone, Peggy Lee, Matt Monro, Mel Tormé, all that good stuff, so whenever i go exploring for Quad/5.1/Atmos i lap up all and any Surround Music by singers of that ilk i can find 🤩

Dutton Vocalion are definitely our best hope for any releases of the Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams Quads, so absolutely got my fingers crossed on that front..!🤞🙏
Sounds like my house, though if it was Frank Sinatra or anything with a harpsicord my mother would go to the other room :LOL:

The Mathis quads are Sony titles so they'd be ripe for reissue by D-V - and Mike is eager to do them - but it hasn't happened, primarily because of the huge 68-disc The Voice of Romance box set that Sony Legacy put out a few years back.

The same goes for some of the other remaining easy listening quads that haven't been reissued yet, it's simply that they're in print elsewhere, like the two Perry Como titles and all of the Charley Pride and Andy Williams titles are with BGO, and similarly there are some other titles with the Cherry Red subsidiaries. However, as I've said many times before, these things change, and licensing contracts expire year on year. So what wasn't available last year might be available this year, and so on!

Bought this album in a used record store , more of a curiosity than a demo for SQ matrix . Although they do have some sound effects on 3 tracks.

I notice the music tracks come from a 1970 King Records album.

Vanguard VSQ -3X SQ quad matrix

View attachment 100902View attachment 100903
Fizzy, looks like that Tokyo Cuban Boys song was also available on this early Technics. Is that an QS or something else?

https://www.discogs.com/release/8883900-Various-Technics-4Channel-Record

Back