What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first I do not have any involvement with the Surround Master
other than I have heard it and let other Quad collectors know about it
I am telling people what I have seen and heard
on my system
I have played with Quad in all it,s forms
for 40 years
I am not selling anything
I just enjoy Music

Which leads to a question. Would improper "Encoding" in the 1970s affect any decoding? In other words, would "Decoding" also have to figure out the variables of each and every "encoding" from each original release? Does the original encoder factor in at all? Thanks.

Actually there is a thread here with Martin Willcocks, the inventor of the TATE system that suggested further decoding improvements could be made with the SQ System by detecting which encoder had been used on an album. How you do that is something that few know I suspect... !

Actually there is a thread here with Martin Willcocks, the inventor of the TATE system that suggested further decoding improvements could be made with the SQ System by detecting which encoder had been used on an album. How you do that is something that few know I suspect... !

Do you have the different types of encoders in your mind?:

- Classic SQ encoders
- Forward oriented SQ encoders
- Backward oriented SQ encoders
- London Box
- whatnot

Those encoding equations are known.

Or do you mean imperfections of an encoder itself, like having to apply 87° phase shift instead of 90° in decoding, because the encoder is a little bit "off"?

-Kristian

Perhaps everyone can work together to get the "Math" correct if there is a problem. It is interesting as a "Matrix" guy to read about the math and try to wrap my head around how all these systems worked in the 1970s or not. Sounds, highly complicated. :)

But, would be great if we could all work together to finally crack the code once and for all. We rare few Quad folks are the only ones who care about this. Which makes the work just that more important. Thanks.

I've already done it..........

first I do not have any involvement with the Surround Master
other than I have heard it and let other Quad collectors know about it
I am telling people what I have seen and heard
on my system
I have played with Quad in all it,s forms
for 40 years
I am not selling anything
I just enjoy Music

So your refusing my offer so you can back up your comments. Says it all........

Or do you mean imperfections of an encoder itself, like having to apply 87° phase shift instead of 90° in decoding, because the encoder is a little bit "off"?

-Kristian

Hi, yes, I was just casually wondering if "imperfections of an encoder itself" changed the decoding math in any way. I was just curious as I'm trying to wrap my head around the math. Very interesting. I wonder how one would know if an encoder is "off?" Is there a way of knowing or does it not really matter.

Hi, yes, I was just casually wondering if "imperfections of an encoder itself" changed the decoding math in any way. I was just curious as I'm trying to wrap my head around the math. Very interesting. I wonder how one would know if an encoder is "off?" Is there a way of knowing or does it not really matter.

I'd like to add my views on this annoying point.

During my initial work on decoding SQ, i found that the test tones on the infamous SQ1000? test LP were actually off by a couple of degrees. This was caused by the use of normal tolerance (probably 5%) components of the time, so i'm guessing there's no encoder out there that is/was 'spot on'. This obviously goes for QS too.

I originally was going to go down the road of not using exactly 90 degrees, but to use, say, 87, but then i thought that there was no guarentee that the error on a particular encoder was not say a degree or two the other way, so i kept to using 90 degrees as it seemed the 'center point' of what was actually used.

I did try the 87 degree version on the test tones, and i really struggled to hear any worthwhile difference, and when it comes to music, i would doubt there would be any noticable difference at all.

Just my views on what is a very interesting topic, glad it was brought up

By the way:

If the encoder has imperfections with its phase shifting then the applied phase shift is constant over the whole frequency range (in theory, or better say "ideally"), as long as the encoder is only single path. If the encoder is tripple path (encoding divided into different frequency ranges) then only a paticular frequency range might be "off".

But when I think about turntables not of linear tracking type then things start to be even worse when it comes to software decoding, since the phase shift is depending on the lateral tracking angle error, and so depending also on the encoded frequency, means lower frequencies do not show as much phase errors than higher frequencies.

Now, Bushmaster, try to examine the math for decoding with ten beers intus. ;)

-Kristian

I've already done it..........

"all Work together?"
:rolleyes:
I enjoy the virtual camaraderie of all folks interested in quad. I wish I had more to add or share in the way of information.
I got into this way late, I had found books mentioning encoding equation when I was in high school, but had never heard quad, if I had I would have devoured that knowledge, I was into math and learning a lot more back then. :)

O K...I'll work with this for a bit.

SQ encoding...Front + rear (out of Phase)

CD 4 encoding (that's right, encoded)...Front + rear - rear. Rear encoded into hi-frequency carrier. Discrete my ass.

Whew...I need another beer and I seem to be out of chips for the moment.

Now, wait a minute! I'm an American, and I have put away my share of good German beer. I spent two years in Bremerhaven. Now, if there's any place that can drive one to drink, that's it!!! (Just kidding; it was a great place.)

Back