What's your latest earworm???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still strains of side two of Kansas Leftoverture. Months now. This isn't necessarily a problem... I like that album! At the same time I'm not sure what to do. Normally rocking it out would help but I absolutely hate the AM radio sounding mix of that album. I think I mentioned this one if the "5.1 remixes you'd like to hear" thread.

Axis: Bold as Love SACD 2ch & mono IMHO his best LP & song- Little Wing

Motherlode - Loggins & Messina CD IMHO their best. What, no SQ/Q8?

This Was new 2ch, 4.1 & mono mixes on CD & DVD-V. My 5th copy and I like it better than I ever have.

Suavecito - Malo German CD

Matthew & Son - Cat Stevens CD (A&M box)

Me & Mrs. Jones SACD 2ch & Quad mixes

Phoebe Snow SACD My previous copies are Japan LP & Gold CD. SACD is best.

There are a raft of CD's, DVD's & BluRays that I haven't opened, yet each of these discs and tracks have been played several times. Half are new copies of old faves.

Axis: Bold as Love SACD 2ch & mono IMHO his best LP & song- Little Wing

Motherlode - Loggins & Messina CD IMHO their best. What, no SQ/Q8?

This Was new 2ch, 4.1 & mono mixes on CD & DVD-V. My 5th copy and I like it better than I ever have.

Suavecito - Malo German CD

Matthew & Son - Cat Stevens CD (A&M box)

Me & Mrs. Jones SACD 2ch & Quad mixes

Phoebe Snow SACD My previous copies are Japan LP & Gold CD. SACD is best.

There are a raft of CD's, DVD's & BluRays that I haven't opened, yet each of these discs and tracks have been played several times. Half are new copies of old faves.

Love your list Quad Goddess, I also love Mother Lode:love: (wayyyy under rated), and no Sittin' In quado_O??? Native Sons Q8 I thought was a bust(n)

Do you think that the music was a bust or the Quad mix?

For me it was mostly the music, it just didn't grab me like their other records, and I think it got in the way of me really listening to the mix!
I would really like your opinion of Native Sons - Quad Linda???

Last edited:
Of the 5 L&M studio albums of new material, it's in the middle for me. I like the mix and music. I'll give it a 9, perhaps 10.

You're not alone in being cold to this. In the early 2000's, there was a new greatest hits compilation at the time of their reunion tour. L&M chose to include nothing from Native Sons. Messina alluded to the time as something painful. Perhaps it was due to them breaking up.

The three Messina songs on side 1 of the LP are forgettable. One is about his Dad's death. Possibly this is why it was painful.

If you have a Q8 of Native Sons, try listening to program/LP side 2 only. Otherwise, listen to the 2 Loggins songs on side 1 and then all of side 2. Or, skip tracks 1, 2 & 4 on CD.

Wasting Our Time, Peacemaker, Foxfire, It's Alright and My Lady, My Love are all stellar.

I saw/heard them on that reunion tour at Northerly Island in Chicago.

L&M and Santana were my 2 favorite rock acts in the 70's.

Here are my ratings on the 5 L&M studio albums of new material:
1- Motherlode
2- Full Sail
3- Native Sons
4- Sittin' In
5- Loggins & Messina

Although it didn't sell well as a new release, I recommend the 2 CD (or LP) Finale. A fitting live epitaph to a great band!

For me it was mostly the music, it just didn't grab me like their other records, and I think it got in the way of me really listening to the mix!
I would really like your opinion of Native Sons - Quad Linda???

Last edited:
Of the 5 L&M studio albums of new material, it's in the middle for me. I like the mix and music. I'll give it a 9, perhaps 10.

You're not alone in being cold to this. In the early 2000's, there was a new greatest hits compilation at the time of their reunion tour. L&M chose to include nothing from Native Sons. Messina alluded to the time as something painful. Perhaps it was due to them breaking up.

The three Messina songs on side 1 of the LP are forgettable. One is about his Dad's death. Possibly this is why it was painful.

I saw/heard them on that reunion tour at Northerly Island in Chicago.

L&M and Santana were my 2 favorite rock acts in the 70's.

Here are my ratings on the 5 L&M studio albums of new material:
1- Motherlode
2- Full Sail
3- Native Sons
4- Sittin' In
5- Loggins & Messina

Although it didn't sell well as a new release, I recommend the 2 CD (or LP) Finale. A fitting live epitaph to a great band!

Thanks so much for your input; I'll be sure to go back and re-listen to Native Sons, the last time was about a year ago. I never got to see them live but enjoy the: DVD Sittin' In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl: Live (Scheiner mix.)

Thanks so much for your input; I'll be sure to go back and re-listen to Native Sons, the last time was about a year ago. I never got to see them live but enjoy the: DVD Sittin' In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl: Live (Scheiner mix.)

Yes, JP, that's an amazing concert and the E. Scheiner 5.1 remix is super fantastic. Two GREAT musicians...and a crackerjack band!

My last listen to Native Sons was the CD a month ago. It's one of my more listened to albums.

And, yes, that reunion DVD and live concert were spectacular. I've seen Loggins live perhaps 6 times. All good shows, but nothing as good as the L&M reunion show.

My last listen to Native Sons was the CD a month ago. It's one of my more listened to albums.

And, yes, that reunion DVD and live concert were spectacular. I've seen Loggins live perhaps 6 times. All good shows, but nothing as good as the L&M reunion show.

I'm wondering how you liked the Full Sail Quad SACD or compared to the Quad Q8/SQ LP?

...Native Sons Q8 I thought was a bust(n)

If you have a Q8 of Native Sons, try listening to program/LP side 2 only. Otherwise, listen to the 2 Loggins songs on side 1 and then all of side 2. Or, skip tracks 1, 2 & 4 on CD.

Native Sons is one of those weird Columbia quads that never appeared on Q8, only SQ. So no one’s ever heard the discrete mix.

I really like the opening track “Sweet Marie”- it’s a blast in quad with all kinds of vocal refrains popping up in the rears. The rest of the album is a nice quad listen as well, despite a few lousy tunes (“Pretty Princess” in paticular is insufferable). As you say it’s certainly no Full Sail, but I think it ain’t bad. Would love to hear a discrete version someday, especially because my SQ pressing is crackly and the inner groove tracks are barely listenable.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how you liked the Full Sail Quad SACD or compared to the Quad Q8/SQ LP?

I love the SACD! I've mostly listened to this in Quad on Q8. I have 2 copies of the SQ, 1 is still sealed w/Korvettes sticker.

Although the SACD is my favorite Quad version, the dbx LP is the best sounding 2ch version.

I've had this on cassette, Q8, SQ x 2, 1/2 speed LP, dbx LP, US CD, Mofi Gold CD and SACD. 9 copies! One of my favorite Quads, music and mix. You need it!

I love the SACD! I've mostly listened to this in Quad on Q8. I have 2 copies of the SQ, 1 is still sealed w/Korvettes sticker.

Although the SACD is my favorite Quad version, the dbx LP is the best sounding 2ch version.

I've had this on cassette, Q8, SQ x 2, 1/2 speed LP, dbx LP, US CD, Mofi Gold CD and SACD. 9 copies! One of my favorite Quads, music and mix. You need it!

Oh I got the SACD and just love it (hard to believe we have this so good!) But ohh my word & well done at the format diversity you have- like phytoplankton varietah:LOL:

Native Sons is one of those weird Columbia quads that never appeared on Q8, only SQ. So no one’s ever heard the discrete mix.

I really like the opening track “Sweet Marie”- it’s a blast in quad with all kinds of vocal refrains popping up in the rears. The rest of the album is a nice quad listen as well, despite a few lousy tunes (“Pretty Princess” in paticular is insufferable). As you say it’s certainly no Full Sail, but I think it ain’t bad. Would love to hear a discrete version someday, especially because my SQ pressing is crackly and the inner groove tracks are barely listenable.

So someone please tell me again that vinyl is superior to SACD, DVD-A, BR-A. :p I was listening to the quad of Sabbath's Paranoid in DTS. It is a needle drop of a CD4 and chock full of noises, clicks and pops. Wish I could find a nice clean Q8 if it even exists.

Back