WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic, I think I mentioned in this thread before but I was also quite disappointed in
the sound quality of the Who's Next release. On the poll I only gave it an 8. But knowing Steven Wilson as I do (not personally LOL) I'm confident he's done the best he could with what was available off the remaining masters. Too bad the reality is what it is. :cry:

Back on topic, I think I mentioned in this thread before but I was also quite disappointed in
the sound quality of the Who's Next release. On the poll I only gave it an 8. But knowing Steven Wilson as I do (not personally LOL) I'm confident he's done the best he could with what was available off the remaining masters. Too bad the reality is what it is. :cry:
And on the flip side, I’m thrilled with the sound quality of the release because it’s so much better than everything I’ve owned before.

I'll have to revise my ramblings in the more proper thread. Repeated listening reveals way more right than wrong! (And it was never "wrong".)

The comment on drums and bass maybe being back a bit or scrunched up front and the side channels being super dynamic and up front at the same time. I remember being humbled by the sound of the mono drum track on the Tommy remix. That's a pre-expectation. Maybe the first track dazzles initially with keys all over the top and back but the drums are a little less. The 2nd track, Bargain is pointedly weird with a very wet and quiet lead vocal and the drums a little stepped on while the side channels are hot and upfront. The 3rd track (and on) is actually a night and day great mix and none of the above. But maybe the overdub acoustic guitars are strong in the side channels at the start. So it seems like this pattern is going on.

But really what happened is there's a stinking upmix thrown in for track 2 and it's not even an intentional mix at all!

I think the final results here sound so good they're inviting high level critique. I suspect the reality is these are all rough around the edges recordings that were only ever produced and recorded so well to begin with - balls first, finesse second. The original mixes only went so far too. This was never meant to be or to stick around this long!

I'll have to revise my ramblings in the more proper thread. Repeated listening reveals way more right than wrong! (And it was never "wrong".)

The comment on drums and bass maybe being back a bit or scrunched up front and the side channels being super dynamic and up front at the same time. I remember being humbled by the sound of the mono drum track on the Tommy remix. That's a pre-expectation. Maybe the first track dazzles initially with keys all over the top and back but the drums are a little less. The 2nd track, Bargain is pointedly weird with a very wet and quiet lead vocal and the drums a little stepped on while the side channels are hot and upfront. The 3rd track (and on) is actually a night and day great mix and none of the above. But maybe the overdub acoustic guitars are strong in the side channels at the start. So it seems like this pattern is going on.

But really what happened is there's a stinking upmix thrown in for track 2 and it's not even an intentional mix at all!

I think the final results here sound so good they're inviting high level critique. I suspect the reality is these are all rough around the edges recordings that were only ever produced and recorded so well to begin with - balls first, finesse second. The original mixes only went so far too. This was never meant to be or to stick around this long!

I’d argue the original recordings and mixes were great. Probably the best in The Who’s catalog. Glyn Johns deserves his reputation.

I am almost certain (though I can’t think of any specific examples at the moment) that I have some CDs that have embedded data (song titles etc.) on the disc itself. When I play these on my Oppo player, which is not connected to the internet in any way, I see these titles on-screen. Maybe it is only SACDs that do this? Not sure.
CD text... Many CDs are released without it, but some have it. When I burn a CD-R, I always include CD text.

But tracks on redbook CD do not have embedded tags (except for CD-TEXT). Your computer may present those tracks as files, they are absolutely not files on the CD (this is why they’re called tracks). Just disconnect your computer from the internet, you’ll see that there is no metadata on CD tracks (except for CD-TEXT).

Finally, this is a slow process as I don't want to de-value the expense that I put out for this Japanese Edition.
After all discs have been ripped for future listening, I am now starting to listen.
I will listen to the surround last, as it is Disc 11. I chose not to listen to Disc 1.
My first listen is Disc 2, SHM CD, Luxman>Stereo pre amp>Stereo amp. Excellent tone and stereo.
R-28268602-1694837943-2865.jpg

Ive kind of started listening in reverse order
First the surround then the San Francisco live concert which I think is fantastic both from a performance and sound quality aspect.
Some of the Live at the Young Vic tracks already appeared on an expanded CD of Whos Next but its great to have the whole thing now.

This is a great box set once you get over the price.

I attest that what the big book says about censorship in Spain in the first edition of Who's Next is true.

The book, on page 34, says:

“The album was a hit around the world, although some countries found certain tracks questionable. For example, in Spain, under Franco’s oppressive, strongly catholic regime, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’, and ‘Love Ain’t For Keeping’ were omitted from the release. Presumably fighting in the streets and suggesting something other than permanent love was taboo. It would seem that acts of public urination also offended them, as the cover image was replaced by a live shot (which they managed to print the wrong way round, turning guitarist and bassist into left-handed players!). Spain would also censor The Who’s follow up album, Quadrophenia, by masking the naked women in the booklet and omitting the track ‘Doctor Jimmy’."

Below is a picture of my old vinyl with the wrong way round of the live shot cover, that shows Entwistle and Townshend at the opposite way where they used to be on stage. Also, the back cover with the “short” track list that was released in Spain.

Also, I got the Quadrophenia vinyls, and we all young fans were desperately searching for the ‘Doctor Jimmy’ song which was impossible to find and listen to here in Spain for several years.

Curious memories of my youth!

1696365267449.png

1696365320875.png

I attest that what the big book says about censorship in Spain in the first edition of Who's Next is true.

“The album was a hit around the world, although some countries found certain tracks questionable. For example, in Spain, under Franco’s oppressive, strongly catholic regime, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’, and ‘Love Ain’t For Keeping’ were omitted from the release. Presumably fighting in the streets and suggesting something other than permanent love was taboo. It would seem that acts of public urination also offended them, as the cover image was replaced by a live shot (which they managed to print the wrong way round, turning guitarist and bassist into left-handed players!). Spain would also censor The Who’s follow up album, Quadrophenia, by masking the naked women in the booklet and omitting the track ‘Doctor Jimmy’."

Below is a picture of my old vinyl with the wrong way round of the live shot cover, that shows Entwistle and Townshend at the opposite way where they used to be on stage. Also, the back cover with the “short” track list that was released in Spain.

Also, I got the Quadrophenia vinyls, and we all young fans were desperately searching for the ‘Doctor Jimmy’ song which was impossible to find and listen to here in Spain for several years.

View attachment 96901

View attachment 96902
Sargain!

View attachment 96901

View attachment 96902
That is amazing.
I will never be an apologist for a dictator, but this article highlights an interesting legacy (for us tennis fans!)
🇪🇸 🎾 👍🏼

https://www.wbur.org/npr/1179107328/rafael-nadal-carlos-alcaraz-french-open-spanish-tennis

Back