Why am I just now discovering this?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depeche

QQ Supporter
Hi, I was starting to upgrade to Mofi, etc. vinyl and was going to buy the new half speed master of Tears For Fears The Hurting when one of the reviewers highly suggested the SDE Blu-ray version. Having just recently upgraded my home theater speakers, I thought I'll give it a shot. OMG, hit play and was almost immediately in tears over how awesome listening to something in 5.1 was compared to the hundreds of times I had listened to this album in the past. I was hooked and now have switched my vinyl upgrading to SACD/DVD/Blu-ray audio. Funny thing is I have bought many CD deluxe editions over the years that included a 5.1, etc. mixes that I totally ignored. I have already found Beatles, Depeche Mode and Tears For Fears mixes in their deluxe edition releases. Looking forward to finding recommendations here on the forum for new releases as well as older stuff. Currently trying to decide which version of Rumours to get, SACD or DVD. Even pre-ordered the soon to released Pink Floyd DSOTM standalone blu-ray today even though I just bought the 2021 Japanese SACD. Thanks for having me!

Currently trying to decide which version of Rumours to get, SACD or DVD. Even pre-ordered the soon to released Pink Floyd DSOTM standalone blu-ray today even though I just bought the 2021 Japanese SACD. Thanks for having me!
I'm not sure about the SACD version, but the DVD-A version of Rumours has the center channel slightly out of sync with the other channels during "Go Your Own Way", resulting in vocals that sound double-tracked. I describe the issue more here:
Fixing Rumours 5.1: Out of phase center channel of "Go Your Own Way" and out of phase LFE channel

Hi, I was starting to upgrade to Mofi, etc. vinyl and was going to buy the new half speed master of Tears For Fears The Hurting when one of the reviewers highly suggested the SDE Blu-ray version. Having just recently upgraded my home theater speakers, I thought I'll give it a shot. OMG, hit play and was almost immediately in tears over how awesome listening to something in 5.1 was compared to the hundreds of times I had listened to this album in the past. I was hooked and now have switched my vinyl upgrading to SACD/DVD/Blu-ray audio. Funny thing is I have bought many CD deluxe editions over the years that included a 5.1, etc. mixes that I totally ignored. I have already found Beatles, Depeche Mode and Tears For Fears mixes in their deluxe edition releases. Looking forward to finding recommendations here on the forum for new releases as well as older stuff. Currently trying to decide which version of Rumours to get, SACD or DVD. Even pre-ordered the soon to released Pink Floyd DSOTM standalone blu-ray today even though I just bought the 2021 Japanese SACD. Thanks for having me!
I still remember the first time I listened to 5.1 over 20 years ago. Yup, when that initial 5.1 moment gets you there's no going back to stereo!

"Even pre-ordered the soon to released Pink Floyd DSOTM standalone blu-ray today even though I just bought the 2021 Japanese SACD"

Did I miss something??? Is there a stand alone blu-ray to be released and can be preordered??
Plse tell me more!!!

By the way, welcome to this forum!!!!
I had a similar experience like you when I first time listened to "Wish You Were Here" on 5.1 SACD:

Better late than never! 😅🥳

Welcome to QQ 🤗

WELCOME TO :51QQ

Welcome aboard! Surround, whether it’s our beloved matrix quad or 7.1.6, is, at least to most of us here, game-changing, and maybe one of the best-kept secrets in audiophilia. Some of us have been singing its praises for half a century (damned geezers!) and some have recently discovered the joys of being in the middle of it all.

Glad you’re part of the club, and hang on to your wallet!

"Even pre-ordered the soon to released Pink Floyd DSOTM standalone blu-ray today even though I just bought the 2021 Japanese SACD"

Did I miss something??? Is there a stand alone blu-ray to be released and can be preordered??
Plse tell me more!!!

By the way, welcome to this forum!!!!
I had a similar experience like you when I first time listened to "Wish You Were Here" on 5.1 SACD:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...8-31&utm_content=daily_newsletter#post-720084

See pages 157 to 161 in the owners manual for the options to create fake surround sound from stereo (streaming etc.).

Kirk Bayne

Welcome to QQ and the world of surround sound music, depeche. When done properly it's a wonderful experience (as you've discovered.) I was absolutely blown away back in the 70's by a young Catholic priest's impressive quadraphonic system - that was an eye opening (ear opening?) experience a younger me has never forgotten. But while I've been into multi-channel music for a good while now, I joined this forum fairly recently. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are people who frequent this forum who have some serious expertise and real experience in the industry. Soak it all in, learn some things in the process, but above all, savor the music and the additional nuances provided by such recordings. Be warned though that this can almost become an addiction. 😁 Enjoy!

Hi, I was starting to upgrade to Mofi, etc. vinyl and was going to buy the new half speed master of Tears For Fears The Hurting when one of the reviewers highly suggested the SDE Blu-ray version. Having just recently upgraded my home theater speakers, I thought I'll give it a shot. OMG, hit play and was almost immediately in tears over how awesome listening to something in 5.1 was compared to the hundreds of times I had listened to this album in the past. I was hooked and now have switched my vinyl upgrading to SACD/DVD/Blu-ray audio. Funny thing is I have bought many CD deluxe editions over the years that included a 5.1, etc. mixes that I totally ignored. I have already found Beatles, Depeche Mode and Tears For Fears mixes in their deluxe edition releases. Looking forward to finding recommendations here on the forum for new releases....
Welcome, Looking forward to what you think of your existing 5.1 collection, in particular the DMs and Beatles.

Back