Woodstock complete performances 38 CD box set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of you are probably aware of Woodstock Complete. This is an effort begun years ago to compile every known scrap of audio from the event, in order to recreate the whole thing as completely as possible, with the best available source material.

Not sure if there have been any "official" releases before now; earlier editions are still floating around out there in the usual channels.

I had the 2012 edition for awhile; I think I actually listened to the whole thing once (probably during August - peak nostalgia, heh). A lot of the extra stuff is sourced from audience recordings of widely varying quality; much of it is pretty rough. I'm not sure I even kept it.

For eight hundred bucks, it would at least be nice to know what if any actual new material is in the Rhino box, but they don't seem to provide any specifics regarding that.

And yeah, the 38-CD thing seems pretty silly these days, although maybe less so considering the target market for something like this.

Last edited:
I’ll never buy this but I’m curious about the 432 songs it contains. Is there a total song listing anywhere?

I don't have a complete song list, however over at The Second Disc they stated that the box "will include every note performed onstage by every act at Yasgur’s Farm over those three days of peace and music, save two tracks by Jimi Hendrix (omitted at the request of his family) and one song from Sha Na Na (which couldn’t be used due to a tape gap)."

Y
Unbelievable honestly...and....$800? Jeez.....they must think we all want to rush out and buy this worn out piece of history. I'm pretty much over it... see it... listen to it......done with it.
No Sense- I guess I would consider if I had attended. But, I have the BD copy of the film. That is satisfactory to me, if they had additional footage again, maybe I consider. But OMG!! o_O $800.00 samolians- man. If I had $800.00 peppers I would fix the GMC. Pay a few bills. But I'm a poor man- very poor.😭

I would love to buy a Blu-ray Audio or SACD version with high-resolution audio over less discs. But as others have said, $800 for 38 CDs and a Blu-ray is ridiculous. Also, let's not forget that all editions of the Woodstock film were either two Blu-rays or three Blu-rays, so Rhino is probably going to be shorting customers on hours of extras that are available on the WB editions.

And dividing the price tag into the number of CDs gets us to over $21 a disc, while dividing it into the number of unreleased tracks is a hair under $3 a song. Even totaled together, you still pay over $1.85 for each of 432 tracks.

The packaging--namely the plywood box with canvas interior--goes some way to ameliorating the price, but not by more than $200, in my opinion. It sounds like a great set, for half the current asking price.

I would love to buy a Blu-ray Audio or SACD version with high-resolution audio over less discs. But as others have said, $800 for 38 CDs and a Blu-ray is ridiculous. Also, let's not forget that all editions of the Woodstock film were either two Blu-rays or three Blu-rays, so Rhino is probably going to be shorting customers on hours of extras that are available on the WB editions.

And dividing the price tag into the number of CDs gets us to over $21 a disc, while dividing it into the number of unreleased tracks is a hair under $3 a song. Even totaled together, you still pay over $1.85 for each of 432 tracks.

The packaging--namely the plywood box with canvas interior--goes some way to ameliorating the price, but not by more than $200, in my opinion. It sounds like a great set, for half the current asking price.

A few years ago, AmazonUS was blowing out the DELUXE 3 disc BD~V WOODSTOCK set with all the paraphernalia for a paltry $10. I purchased it and was well satisfied. And IMO, how GREAT can even the remastered audio sound on those 38 RBCDs? The Dolby True HD 5.1 audio on the BD~V was at best 'serviceable.' So basically what you hear on the LOSSLESS BD~Vs is what'll you'll 'partially' hear on those 16/44.1 RBCDs ...... mid fi at best.

Completists or people who actually did attend the concert might be encouraged to invest in this box set ....... But I also wonder if THE VERY BEST of WOODSTOCK is already contained on the restored BD~Vs and the rest is perhaps ... filler?

Agreed on all the posts above about putting the audio on Blurays.
Another way is download files in lossless.
As someone who has now converted all my CDs to FLAC I believe CDs are a pain if you have limited space as I do here in China.
I am embracing non physical format out of convenience. Don't get me wrong I love holding a CD and reading the books but the reality is I don't have unlimited space for 1000s of discs and box sets

I can see original attendees buying the complete set, at least those who can afford it. The best possible keepsake of a legendary event. Personally, I'd like to hear some of the artists' complete sets that I have never heard, but it would take me more than 3 days to sit through all of that.

38 CDs and $800 and the Hendrix set is still incomplete?!

There needs to be a special kind of award for something like that...

I haven't even downloaded any of the fan made roio sets. This still smells of bootleg.

They'll all sell, to the same folks who bought that G n'R Locked n' Loaded set...:)
Point to be made here is that NOBODY bought that G n'R Locked n' Loaded set......The GnR official shop is selling it now for under $500 with free shipping!!! I'll put my $$$ on it that it will still drop even further to around $300

There is a set list link on the Rhino Website, but when I click on it. it says......."ACCESS DENIED"!!

Anyone have any better luck?

just type in www.rhino.com and the woodstock set is on their front page. I would buy this for sure but not at 800. my price point would probably be somewhere around 300 -400.00 and yes I would listen to every disc, but prob not all at once.

just type in www.rhino.com and the woodstock set is on their front page. I would buy this for sure but not at 800. my price point would probably be somewhere around 300 -400.00 and yes I would listen to every disc, but prob not all at once.

That's not the problem....you can't access the songlist….scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the link...

Point to be made here is that NOBODY bought that G n'R Locked n' Loaded set......The GnR official shop is selling it now for under $500 with free shipping!!! I'll put my $$$ on it that it will still drop even further to around $300

Actually I would surmise that sales were very good for that Loaded Set....what you haven't taken in consideration is that they had 10,000 of them for sale...I doubt they thought they would sell them all at the original price but they probably sold enough to hit their number and the initial sales were from the website only...so they didn't have any distribution issues to deal with and increased profits...

Back