Xenakis: Kraanerg

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I wanted to quote a review of the 5.1 mix of Xenakis' "Kraanerg" that I just read on a progressive rock forum called Progressive Ears. The poster goes by the name "neuroticdog". This is the kind of enthusiastic review that makes me want to buy something even though I know it's probably not my cup of tea.

---------------------------

I just listened to the Xenakis piece "La Legende d'Eer" (Mode, DVD video 96/24 bit Hi-def) cranked on my 5.1 system (wife at work...phew) and here are my fragmented disjointed thoughts:

1-Can this be any more dense? No, it can't

2-This is some supernatural alien shit

3-There are snippits of this 47 minute piece that vaguely reminded me of Larks Tongues in Aspic, percussion wise

4-The layers of metaillic percussion, deep space drone, incessant jibbering of the above mentioned alien shit, full on rage in bedlam left me completely f'ed up, tongue tied and crucified.

5-I physically could not wipe the chesire cat grin off my face during the majority of this thing

6-I'm seriously considering forceably ejecting my wife from the house so I can experience this face melter again along with the companion 5.1 DVD I picked up (Mode, Electronic Music Vol 2 with three more Xenakis pieces on it)

7-One more thing...woe betide any pathetic sole that happend to be walking down my street when this was in full onslaught.

-----------------------------------

Hmmmm

"The tumultous climate of 1968 is reflected in the score. It's breathtaking and unusual use of 4-channel tape consists entirely of manipulated recordings of the orchestral music. The result continuum of instrumental and studio produced sounds create a kaleidoscopically disorienting sound experience."

I tried Xenakis a few years ago. I'm pretty open minded, but even this was a bit too out there for me. While the review you quoted is compelling, thank god for youtube. I only got about 5 minutes into this piece before I was ready to shoot myself. Not for me, but I gave it a try.

Back