HiRez Poll XTC - Oranges and Lemons [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC - Oranges and Lemons

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Imagine my surprise to see this as the lowest rated XTC mix!

I absolutely love this album, and I love this mix.

First things first, it is most certainly the most 80s sounding of the XTC output. For that reason alone, it may bias some ratings out of the gate. It is also an enormously busy and dense record, even by XTC standards. I doubt that there is a more difficult mix to craft in their catalog.

Garden of Earthly Delights is a perfect example. There are about a zillion things going on in this song, but you have absolutely no hope of comprehending them all in a stereo mix. None. This surround mix has me hearing things I haven't heard before, and hearing things I had heard with much more clarity. This song is the most obvious example, but examples abound all over this album.

The backing vocals are in the rear throughout the album and are perfect that way. They really do deserve their own spot because they are stunning at times.

Mayor Of Simpleton is probably the most straightforward song on the album and it still sounds enveloping and full. Even "simpleton" XTC is not so simple...

As always, there are a number of extras that come with it that are icing on the cake. SW's stereo mix is very good, with that little touch of added clarity that you expect. Just a phenomenal job on the surround mix though for what I imagine was a very challenging project.

Easy 10.

I just started listening to the instrumental versions of these songs and songs from the other XTC blu-rays and it’s such a cool, fresh perspective. I was thinking about what @JonUrban said on the Teaser And The Firecat thread, and while I do the same thing - listen once to the 5.1 mix in awe and possibly never pull it out again - every once in a while I decide to explore some of the other non-surround goodies and I’m pleasantly surprised.

An absolute 10 all day long. Wasn't familiar with any XTC before this series and I have been blown away by every single one of them.
Beautiful warm sound on this one and the songs are fantastic. In a perfect world I could do without "Pink Thing" but even then there are things to like about that one. Fidelity is amazing and the mixes are nothing less than what we've come to expect from Mr. Wilson.

Highlights for me are "King for a Day", "The Loving", "Poor Skeleton Steps Out", "Scarecrow People", "Cynical Days", "Across This Antheap", "Hold Me My Daddy", and "Chalkhills and Children".
This is finally back in stock after being out of print, get this!!

Back