Yellowjackets "Lifecycle" 5.1 Heads Up SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just released a few weeks ago, "Lifecycle" (Heads Up 9139) is 5.1 SACD featuring guest band member, Mike Stern on guitar. Typically, the Yellowjackets get lumped into the "smooth jazz" genre while in reality they haven't gone in that direction for years. The addition of Stern gives them some excellent, muscular guitar playing reminiscent of Metheny and John Scofield, while never sounding out of place.

Sonically, this is an excellent recording - great instrumental separation and a very "live in the studio" feel. The 5.1 mix is good not great and while the rears are active from time to time they are mainly there for "presence" - a little bit more than just ambience. The excellent rhythm section of Jimmy Haslip on bass and Marcus Baylor on percussion are well recorded and sit perfectly in the mix - you can tell these guys have been together for a long time!

Compositionally I can't get too excited - workman like contemporary jazz that makes up with stellar playing what it lacks in originality. Still a worthwhile addition for fans and novices - and it's a new SACD 5.1 release! Gotta support this stuff before it all goes away!

Thank you for the "Heads Up" (har har) on this SACD. Without reviews from other QQers I wouldn't know about these discs. I agree, support the format whenever possible if your tastes oblige!

Added to the shopping list!
Josh :)

Back