Yes - Talk 30th Anniversary set (No surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-talk-reissue-box-set/

I like Talk, so this was an instant pre-order via Burning Shed.

This is one of those surprise releases that I wouldn’t have ever considered possible.

yes_talk-30th-anniversary_boxset.jpeg

I saw this and was very disappointed there was no MCH mix. Ironically, the Talk tour was in surround sound, sponsored by DTS! Though TBH, I didn't notice any discrete surround at the show; I think it was probably mostly for ambience.

My favourite band, but an album of there's that I really don't like, only remastered, coupled with a (possibly) bootleg quality live recording, and no surround mix. It's a no from me!

I hadn’t originally owned this and bought it at the same time Heaven & Earth came out... 2014.

I was so disappointed with H&E, especially being Squire’s last album.

But Talk was a different matter. It reminded me of what Rabin brings to the table in terms of being a bit more adventurous than Howe (at least at that time.)

The Calling was a strong song, and Endless Dream could have been amazing in surround with the right mixer.

I’ll assume cost is the reason, but I don’t imagine Rabin would have said no to mixing the album in surround if asked.

Anyway... I didn’t have Talk on my bingo card of deluxe releases this year or any year. Total surprise.

Can we now more enthusiastically hope for a deluxe package of 90125?

Given the nature of how it was produced originally - an early all-digital recording and mix done on four Macs that relied on an IBM PC for sync - the challenges in reconstructing the multitracks and effects (which would be 30-year-old computer software at this point) are probably greater than if it was recorded on plain old two-inch analog tape. This would make it really cost prohibitive, especially for an album with pretty narrow commercial appeal.

Given the nature of how it was produced originally - an early all-digital recording and mix done on four Macs that relied on an IBM PC for sync - the challenges in reconstructing the multitracks and effects (which would be 30-year-old computer software at this point) are probably greater than if it was recorded on plain old two-inch analog tape. This would make it really cost prohibitive, especially for an album with pretty narrow commercial appeal.

That makes sense. Good insight. Thnaks!

funny, I had just got a brand new sealed cassette (CrO2 tape) a few weeks ago and it sounds heavenly, a bit compressed but full bass , I prefer it to the CD...

I always thought it was one of the best sounding later Yes albums and really liked the music. A missed opportunity not to include a surround remix - I wonder if the multi's are lost for this recording or if they were just lazy. Without a surround mix, I'll happily keep my collector's edition CD.

I actually like it quite a bit.
Same here. Looking at your profile pic, would love to see some Atmos FZ releases besides Overnight Sensation. As Dweezil just did Atmos mix for 50th anniversary Deep Purple Machine Head, perhaps he'll tackle Apostrophe. And it's long past time for a video release of the 1988 tour - since Bob Stone recorded it 0n 64 tracks of Mitsubishi digital, and that it was a 9-piece band of phenomenal musicians, there'd be plenty of tracks to work with for a 9.1.4 Atmos mix.

Back