22 Rolling Stones Reissues Coming to SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
While not Multichannel SACDs, this one is of interest to folks with SACD players.

At HE 2002 today, it was announced that 22 of the Rolling Stones albums controlled by Abkco Records will be issued on Hybrid Stereo SACDs (Stereo SACD track and Stereo CD track) in August.

Check these links for more details:

Billboard Magazine Story
www.billboard.com/billboa...id=1502752

Jam Web Story
www.canoe.ca/JamRollingSt...s-can.html

I wouldn't get too excited yet. ABCKO sucks when it comes to stereo content on their releases. Many classic Stones cuts are only commercially available in mono. I already cringe that they are not supporting ANY multichannel mixes, leading me to think they may force their mono stuff on us again. I don't want to throw cold water on a potentially wonderful thing, but Variomatrix and DPLII decoding don't work on mono signals!!!

We'll have to wait and see what the sound is like on these. The good news is that ace mastering engineer Bob Ludwig is handling the remastering work. With his involvement, they should be good.

Here's the press release from ABKCO:

Aural Satisfaction, At Last: ABKCO Rolling Out The Rolling Stones Remastered Series

22 Classic Rolling Stones Titles Set for Release

NEW YORK, May 30, 2002 -- The entirety of the Rolling Stones' album catalog, originally released in the 60's and early '70's on ABKCO/London Records (ABKCO/Decca in the rest of the world) has been meticulously restored and will be re-released on a series of dual layer hybrid Super Audio discs under the banner ABKCO's The Rolling Stones Remastered. Twenty-two albums including Let It Bleed, Out of Our Heads, December's Children, Beggars Banquet, 12x5 and The Rolling Stones, Now! are part of the most comprehensive single artist re-issue series ever undertaken. Each disc has been encoded with two layers -- one containing a normal CD program, the other Super Audio CD program of the same repertoire. The idea is to provide complete backward and forward compatibility for the consumer, as the albums are playable on both SACD-compatible machines as well as standard CD players. Each dual layer disc was remastered using Sony's Direct Stream Digital process resulting in brilliant fidelity in both standard or SACD formats.

"Over the years, we have had many requests to re-issue these titles using the latest digital remastering techniques," remarked ABKCO's Jody Klein who noted that the albums were first released in the CD format in 1986. Klein, who supervised the development of ABKCO's The Rolling Stones Remastered Series stated, "Improvements in technology had only been incremental since then so we didn't feel there was a compelling reason to go back to the market with these classic albums -- until now." Klein cites DSD mastering which samples the original audio signal 2,822,400 times per second, 64 times faster than standard CD encoding, as one of the main catalysts for the series. "DSD more accurately reflects the sonic quality of analog than any other medium so the depth one hears on these discs in standard or SACD playback is quite amazing."

The restoration process for ABKCO's The Rolling Stones Remastered Series started with hundreds of hours of painstaking research on both sides of the Atlantic to determine the analog sources most true to the original Rolling Stones studio recordings.

Final mastering for all albums was completed under the direction of the legendary Bob Ludwig who commented, "While three generations of music fans, myself included, are all quite familiar with the Stones' material, DSD has afforded us the opportunity to showcase both their brilliance and rough edges all over again in a meaningful way."

All 22 of the albums in ABKCO's The Rolling Stones Remastered Series, highlighting such classic tracks as "Sympathy For The Devil," "Under My Thumb," "Street Fighting Man," "Mother's Little Helper," "The Last Time" and, of course, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," will be released August 20th with Universal handling distribution worldwide. Suggested retail list price is $18.98 for single disc packages.

A complete listing of the album titles in ABKCO's The Rolling Stones Remastered Series follows:
England's Newest Hitmakers
12x5
The Rolling Stones Now
Out Of Our Heads
Out of Our Heads - UK Version
December's Children
Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass)
Aftermath
Aftermath - UK Version
Got Live If You Want It!
Between The Buttons
Between The Buttons - UK Version
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2)
Let It Bleed
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Hot Rocks
More Hot Rocks
The Rolling Stones Singles Collection - The London Years
Metamorphosis - UK Version

SOURCE ABKCO RECORDS

Thanks for posting the release. I didn't see the word stereo anywhere there so I'm still very pessimistic about the whole thing. Especially when I see Ron Decline's name involved. I hope I'm wrong on this one...

no way i'm buyin' a stereo (or mono) only sacd. another good occasion lost in the dump.
If they think people will flock to buy these they are very wrong, unless they are priced as normal cd.
Maybe they think sacd is more copy-protected than the crappy stuff they are inserting now on regular cd, so sacd is the new way to go. They will be proved wrong, as they had been in the past, time and again.

What would be better is to have the Stones re record these albums in surround. Some of the later ones might could be remastered, but I notice that they aren't even promising stereo, much less surround. Big yawn!

The Quadfather

Yes, it's too bad they decided not to issue these in surround. I'm not a big Stones fan, but I do like their very early stuff and getting it in 5.1 would have been great. As it is, I too will pass on these as I'm not interested in getting more stereo (or mono) versions of stuff I already have.

I have heard an unconfirmed rumour that the material will be in stereo at least, with two tracks mentioned that have never been officially released in stereo. Still not multichannel, but better news.

More information on the Rolling Stones reissues on Stereo SACD. From today's issue of High Fidelity Review at www.highfidelityreview.co...ber=269341

In May, the big news from the Home Entertainment 2002 show was that ABKCO Records plans to reissue 22 albums by the Rolling Stones on SACD. Since that time, interest in the "Rolling Stones Remastered" project has remained high. Recently, ABKCO provided us with an update on the progress of this project. Here are the highlights of that update:

About The SACDs
Fans of the Rolling Stones and SACDs will be pleased to hear that the release of these SACDs remains on track for an August 20th release date. The initial set of the discs, now known as the "inaugural pressings" will carry a certificate of authenticity that will not be included in future pressings.

The project is said to be "one of the most comprehensive restoration and remastering programs ever undertaken for a major catalog". Each album will be made available as a Stereo Hybrid SACD which includes a Stereo Super Audio CD (SACD) layer as well as a standard CD layer. This will offer the consumer compatibility and playback on any SACD or CD player. With an SACD player, the laser pick-up automatically reads the SACD layer while a (standard) CD player’s laser pick-up will automatically read through the SACD layer to the CD layer.

Original art and liner copy including the essays by Anthony DeCurtis and Andrew Oldham that appeared in the original release of The Singles Collection have been replicated in digipacks that capture the look of the original LPs. While it was not possible to reproduce the original 3D cover of Their Satanic Majesties Request for the SACD version, the cover of this SACD will be printed on holographic board stock. Graphics and texts will be rendered exactly as they first appeared as part of the LP packages "without gratuitous after the fact embellishment", underscoring ABKCO's "commitment to authenticity that is the hallmark of The Rolling Stones Remastered Series".

ABKCO says that "every effort has been made to ensure that each of the 327 tracks presented on the 26 discs covering all 22 titles meet the highest audio standards that exist today making The Rolling Stones Remastered Series the Stones collection for the ages." The SACDs will sell for a suggested retail list price of $18.98 for the single disc SACDs in the United States market.

Both US and UK Versions Will Be Released
As we reported at HE 2002, in a number of instances, where the repertoire is substantially different, both domestic and - for the first time in this country -- UK versions of the original albums will be issued on SACD. This includes the albums Out of Our Heads, Aftermath and Between The Buttons.

The Stones album Metamorphosis has never been available on CD and ABKCO is releasing the UK version in The Rolling Stones Remastered Series as it includes two tracks not included on the US vinyl album that was originally released in 1975: “Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind” and “We’re Wasting Time.”

The Rolling Stones Remastered Series version of More Hot Rocks features three additional tracks. The album now includes the version of “Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" that originally appeared on the UK LP release Rolling Stones #2 as well as a version of “Poison Ivy” that has never before appeared on CD. The collection also features “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long.” The version now included first appeared with an overdubbed audience on Got Live If You Want It and will be making its CD debut in its un-dubbed form on The Rolling Stones Remastered Series edition of More Hot Rocks.

No Electronically Enhanced Stereo Used
Stones fans will be relieved to hear that all electronically reprocessed stereo recordings have been replaced with mono mixes. ABKCO says that "when available and appropriate", true stereo mixes replace their mono counterparts on the following songs: "2120 South Michigan Avenue," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Around And Around," "Confessin' The Blues," "Empty Heart," "Heart Of Stone," "Honky Tonk Women," "If You Need Me," "It's All Over Now," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Look What You've Done," "Paint It Black" and "Time Is On My Side."

Original, First Generation Masters Used Whenever Possible
ABKCO says that meticulous attention has been paid to ensure that original analog sources for all of these titles are as close to first generation as possible. Research conducted in New York and London turned up a number of "the best quality two-track masters ever used to produce discs by the Rolling Stones". The result is said to be recordings that when played back in SACD "provide unprecedented brilliance and rawness never before experienced outside of the Stones’ recording sessions". The Stereo CD version of these recordings was created with SACD's Super Bit Mapping Direct process.

Some Songs Will Be Featured For the First Time at the Correct Speed!
A surprising revelation from ABKCO is that a couple of Stones songs have never been released before at the correct speed! Apparently, during the research for analog sources for The Rolling Stones Remastered Series it was discovered that the production master for "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow?" and "Mother's Little Helper," responsible for producing original LP and CD releases, were recorded on a tape machine running at a faster than called for speed, resulting in a "slow" tape master when these songs were played back on a tape machine running at the proper speed.

A new master featuring correct speed versions of these tracks are included in The Rolling Stones Remastered Series SACD editions of December's Children, Big Hits (high tide & green grass), Between The Buttons, Flowers, Beggars Banquet, Through The Past Darkly, Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks and The Rolling Stones Singles Collection

Masters for The Singles Collection and Let It Bleed
Beyond that, this edition of The Singles Collection now reflects the original US and UK singles with original single masters used as sources while the track listing was not changed.

When the first generation master of Let It Bleed was found, it was discovered that the original intent for the album was for the tracks to be contiguous without bands of silence between the songs. The new version reflects that original intent though it may also be programmed on a track-by-track basis, as well.

The People Behind The Scenes
As the Rolling Stones Remastered series moves to the SACD pressing plant before its release, ABKCO has also released information on the team behind the album remasters. The people involved in the project are as follows:

Restoration Producer: Jody H. Klein
Sound Restoration and Archive Coordinator: Steve Rosenthal/the Magic Shop
Analog to Digital Transfers and Tape Archive Research: Teri Landi
Mastering: Bob Ludwig/Gateway Mastering
DSD Engineer: Gus Skinas
Additional Tape Archive Research: Jane Byrne and Mick McKenna
Additional Analog To Digital Transfer: Jon Astley and Pascal Byrne
Production Assistants: Maria Papazahariou and Laura Walton

Repackage Art Direction: Iris W. Keitel and Alisa Coleman-Ritz
Repackage Design: Zane Peterson/AGI
Art Production Assistants: Nicole Monea and Patricia Sheppard
Conception: Lenne Allik

More Information to Follow
We're continuing to follow the Rolling Stones Remastered project and will have more information on these SACDs in the days and weeks ahead. From all indications, these SACDs will be a real highlight for fans of the Rolling Stones and the SACD format.

Well, in anticipation of the release on August 27th of the 22 Rolling Stones SACD reissues, several of the web stores are taking preorders for the disks. The single disc, preorder prices look like this:
* Best Buy.Com - $12.99 each
* CD Universe - $13.29 each
* Amazon.Com - $13.99 each
* Tower Records.Com - $14.99 each
* Elusive Disc - $16.99 each
* Red Trumpet - $16.99 each

Hey there,

I'm curious to know what your opinions of the regular DSD remastered discs are, as compared to the SACD versions.

thanks,
Gabe

Hey there,

I'm curious to know what your opinions of the regular DSD remastered discs are, as compared to the SACD versions.

thanks,
Gabe

I have one, "Let it Bleed", and I have a few of the SACD's. I think the DSD remastered CD's are mostly pretty good actually. I still see some of the SACD's at used stores, Best Buy, Circuit City and a few other locations but I always pass them up. Somebody that has compared the remastered CD's to the SACD's can probably give you a better opinion, but I am happy with my one.

Chris

Hey there,

thanks,
Gabe

Not to start a fight, but that's like comparing a Porsche with a Taxi. Both will get you there. The SACD will have you in the front row. The DSD remastered will have you in the back of the stadium somewhere.

I have had all 22 hybrid SACD/CD's since day one and the painstaking, meticulous attention to detail with this Stones project by ABKCO lends itself to an SACD listing experience that is among the best I have heard come from a thirty year old, or more master tape reissue series. GET THE SACD's!

FYI. I spotted a copy of the "Singles Collection" SACD set at Oakville Best Buy yesterday.

... if anyone up here is looking for a copy.

the problem with buying these now is that they reissued them all as DSD remastered, which are CD only, with the same barcode as the SACD versions...making things very frustrating when trying to track them down after the switchover took place.

Not to start a fight, but that's like comparing a Porsche with a Taxi. Both will get you there. The SACD will have you in the front row. The DSD remastered will have you in the back of the stadium somewhere.

Except blindfolded you could probably still tell you were in a different car. With the CD versions of the Stones SACDs....not so much. Going by the CD layers of teh SACD hybrids (I haven't bought the standalone CDs) , when levelmatched the CD and DSD layers are *extremely* similar (and .wav comparison bears this out). I doubt I could tell them apart in an ABX.

Back