Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know which you prefer đź‘‚
Well, Norm
I selected one of my favourite tracks...LAZY

I compared all 3 versions on this release.
Each version has their own qualities which actually made it quite hard to pick one from the other.
But to summarise it was a close call between the 5.1 and Atmos mix.
The quad mix just lacked that extra clarity compared to the other two.
Talking of clarity that's where my preference lay at the door of the Atmos version.

I like the Atmos mix and I've read all the various comments regarding a wide spectrum of views, which put me slightly on edge in wondering what to expect. I need not have worried, Norm, the Atmos mix has what I enjoy in surround music. Being entertained. :) (y)

I think Machine Head is supposed to have some murkiness to the overall sound. It's a "sludgy metal" album that obviously has commercial leanings.

But what I want out of the US quad mix is the clarity of the drums. So that the sum of it all is the best of both worlds. Plus some alt. parts, a tad of analog reverb where they may not have been as much in the stereo mix. Sludgy murk with a tad more detail, and then that clarity to the drums.

But it's great that some are enjoying this very different new mix, and some just love their DVD-A from 25 years ago as their fave.

Is there no other album which has as many surround choices for the listener to choose from?

Well, at least it looks like I'll get it eventually.

DeepDiscount.com
Dear Valued Customer,

We thought you would like to know...

The item listed below has just shipped!

Depending on the shipping method you chose, it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.

DETAILS FOR SHIPPED ITEMS
Order Number:0890-3333-XXXXX
Shipping Method:USPS Media Mail
Shipping Address:
Jeffrey
Los Angeles CA
USA
QtyItem #DescriptionPriceTracking
1603497828852Machine Head (50th Anniversary Deluxe) - Deep Purple$58.64XXXXX
mail
Daily Deep Deal: A New Offer Every Day See Us On Facebook *

After playing all versions multiple times, I appreciate what each one has to offer in the way of detailing and sonics. However, my go to is still the 5.1 SACD. The others just don't seem to have the same impact.

I presume this refers to the SACD release of the 2001 5.1 mix that was originally released on DVD-A?

so far, i would probably give the atmos mix a 9 and the US Quad mix a 10.
I already know I like the US quad probably the best, I’m only concerned that the transfer is near perfection. So far no reports of a fake center or sub generated. It’s going to sound so killer cranked up loud on a Friday night with a chilly brew and a toke.

It's Quadio. Why would it be handled any differently from any other Quadio release?
Well it’s sort of Quadio file, but not a Quadio release. It’s a Universal release. Lots to happen when UK gets involved.

UK quad mix got up’d to 5.1 you’ll recall.

Just ordered a day ago from ImportCDs and received notification that it’s shipping. Yay!
Good. My order said that it was backordered into May, but they shipped the next day too. It came yesterday. I was so preoccupied by the eclipse, picking up my sister-in-law's dog to babysit, and doing my income taxes that I haven't even opened Machine Head yet. Obviously, my priorities are messed up. LOL

Back