Quad in a 7.1 (or 7.1.2 or 7.1.4) system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too... I was a beta tester of an early player, which was not region set. Those of us in the beta group were also given some discs. I got the region 1 and 2 versions of Blade Runner, the region 1 version of Mars Attacks, Interview with the Vampire and Twister. I bought the region 1 version of Waterworld (in a CD sized case) and the Mrs bought a few region 2 discs.
I wasn't that early. I waited until I could buy a DVD player with a hardware multi region mod and built in Dolby Digital and DTS decoder to 5.1 analogue outs to connect to my external pro logic decoder 5.1 inputs (Arcam Xeta 2 at the time connected to Arcam Delta 290 integrated stereo amp). The Xeta 2 multi channel analogue inputs were on a 25 pin D type connector and I had to buy a special lead from that to 6 RCAs.

VHS tapes. Ugh. I don't miss them. Only good thing was we had a rental store out here in the boondocks, 4 miles away. Had a good selection.
Hated the Sony? player I had, always a pita.
I still have my Panasonic 950 S-VHS deck in my rack and it still works. It was pretty much the top end deck towards the end of when you could still get decent decks. It has jog/shuttle and even jog/shuttle on the remote control! Built in edit controller (if you had 2 decks which I didn't), digital 2D comb filter for luma/chroma separation, digital timebase correction and noise reduction (both of which actually work usefully) and a bunch of other top end features. It's the most high end bit of kit I bought prior to my current AV amp. It has such presence in the rack I can't bring myself to pull it out. Plus I'd have a gap, less components over the years as more gets integrated into AVRs. I even still have 6 brand new in the shrink wrap 180 minute S-VHS tapes.

Also, some AVR's matrix the audio from the side surrounds to the rear surrounds too which is just plain wrong!
My new Yamaha AVR duplicates the surround signal into the backs automatically which I love the effect of. It just wraps around. Before I had this functionality I was actually taking 4.0 and 5.1 files into audacity and I would do the duplication the receiver is now doing and create new 6.0 and 7.1 files. I no longer have to do that.

Such is the compromise of not having rear speakers placed near the corners anymore... Listening to quad was much easier with a 5.1 channel speaker set-up!
Works perfectly. Surrounds at the side of the sweet spot up the wall and backs close to being in the back corners. As I said, sounds fantastic.

I still have my Panasonic 950 S-VHS deck in my rack and it still works. It was pretty much the top end deck towards the end of when you could still get decent decks. It has jog/shuttle and even jog/shuttle on the remote control! Built in edit controller (if you had 2 decks which I didn't), digital 2D comb filter for luma/chroma separation, digital timebase correction and noise reduction (both of which actually work usefully) and a bunch of other top end features. It's the most high end bit of kit I bought prior to my current AV amp. It has such presence in the rack I can't bring myself to pull it out. Plus I'd have a gap, less components over the years as more gets integrated into AVRs. I even still have 6 brand new in the shrink wrap 180 minute S-VHS tapes.
I worked with VCRs (both Beta and VHS. Oh, and U-matic!) in several jobs, and I had a Mitsubishi S-VHS hi-fi deck for several years until you couldn’t get parts for it. I have about a dozen tapes that I want to digitize, but it’s not much of a priority these days.

I'm not willing to have my rear surround channels coming out the side speakers because of someone's software bug 20 years ago. I suppose it might be considered a PITA to switch between two speaker manager presets? I grew up with vinyl and that took considerably more effort to listen to. The computer tinkering bits are the modern version of that to me.

I'm not willing to have my rear surround channels coming out the side speakers because of someone's software bug 20 years ago. I suppose it might be considered a PITA to switch between two speaker manager presets? I grew up with vinyl and that took considerably more effort to listen to. The computer tinkering bits are the modern version of that to me.
The sides (surrounds) and rears (backs) blend beautifully. Creates a nice 360 effect with the fronts. Like a giant pair of headphones.

Rears coming from the sides is too close to the fronts fronts for me. I want harder stronger separation, and having a four-corner square keeps thing separate if the mixer wanted it that way.
I feel the same way. I guess I’m just used to real Quad, the vintage Way and would love to hear the new mixes in that way. And I have decided not to go Dolby Atmos and all of that. I’m more interested in to channel listening, and Quad and don’t really even care so much for my 7.1 for movies and such. That’s just not a priority for me. Also, I am burden by the fact that my surrounds our Axiom QS8s which are quad polar, So they are loud and projecting up down forward and back but it’s distracting. At least in my ears.

Back