Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but there is precedent for audio blu-rays shipping with Atmos and non-Atmos surround mixes, e.g. Abbey Road.
And some people are claiming the mix is unimpressive on their systems, some of whom do not have Atmos capability.
I'd be pissed if I were them and there were no chance to try a dedicated 5.1 mix.

Actually, Mike, most UHD4K discs only have an ATMOS/7.1 option but fold down successfully to 5.1 with NO PROBLEMA!

Getting a headache. 🤯🤕

For everyone at home with only 5.1, try what I just did before going nuts about it.
Put in your Abbey Road and play it in Dolby Atmos.
I can hear everything I hear in the DTS-MA 5.1.
When I listen to Octopus, the bubble noises Baggins extracted from the height speakers in his YT vid are in the sound field quite nicely, thank you.
[Sony X800 HDMI into Yamaha 5.1 AVR]

At ease.

:51QQ

Maybe the authoring is sh*te and we should be able to get to the 5.1 via the menu!

Alternatively the VLC screen Jon has shown maybe shows the TrueHD Atmos structure - so there is a basic 5.1 mix which then uses the 'higher' Atmos levels to give 7.1 enhancements. Kind of like DTS does for 48k ->96k.

MakeMKV (and VLC, Audiomuxer and MMH etc) show the TrueHD (and DTS) Core streams. You can choose to rip rip/play or convert them). The BD menu shows only the main streams.

EDIT: Your AVR plays the stream (core, TrueHD or Atmos) it can decode based on its processor and your speaker configuration

It’s quite possible these are all mediocre mixes, in which case 7.1, Atmos or DTS won’t make any difference.

I listened to the entire album through my 5.1 system and the mixes are far from mediocre, in my opinion. There are elements isolated in the rears on every track. "Coming Down Again" has the harmony vocals spread all around the room and sounds amazing.

I listened to the entire album through my 5.1 system and the mixes are far from mediocre, in my opinion. There are elements isolated in the rears on every track. "Coming Down Again" has the harmony vocals spread all around the room and sounds amazing.
Do you find the mix front centric most of the time in some tracks? If not, then it is how my amp renders the 7.1 into 5 channels that makes it sound like that for me.

Just got my box drop from bull moose - 🐐 🐐 🕺 🐐 🐐
There must have been a change from the advertising department (who didn't get the memo) and the final release; here are the Front and Rear stickers that show what's happening- key word "Compatible."

GHS-BS F.jpg
GHS-BS R.jpg

Do you find the mix front centric most of the time in some tracks? If not, then it is how my amp renders the 7.1 into 5 channels that makes it sound like that for me.

I wouldn't say 'most of the time', but there are some sections where the rears aren't doing much. I suppose "Dancing With Mr. D" could've been mixed a bit more aggressively - the rears don't really feature until the first chorus. "Angie" is mostly upfront until the string parts come in. I don't know if I'd put it up there with the best Scheiner or Wilson stuff, but I'm happy with it so far.

Listening to the Brussels Affair CD now - great perfomances! Too bad they didn't do a surround mix of this too.

I wouldn't say 'most of the time', but there are some sections where the rears aren't doing much. I suppose "Dancing With Mr. D" could've been mixed a bit more aggressively - the rears don't really feature until the first chorus. "Angie" is mostly upfront until the string parts come in. I don't know if I'd put it up there with the best Scheiner or Wilson stuff, but I'm happy with it so far.

Listening to the Brussels Affair CD now - great perfomances! Too bad they didn't do a surround mix of this too.
I like it as well, but I think I'd have preferred it more if the mixes were more like the bonus tracks. I do think that as I don't have Atmos my system does not render it as well.

Getting your Goat (Head Soup) :ROFLMAO:

Ya know, Dunc, when push comes to shove .... I'd love to hear how it sounded in the studio through state of the art speakers, exotic cabling and separate pre amp/amps ........

Very doubtful any of us would be privy to such sonic splendor......ALTHOUGH ........Soon .... VERY soon ..... that's all I'll say for NOW!

Last edited:
"ohhh so nowww you're the sensible one!"
🤯 You've got to at least dance (Mrs. D.) with the prospective bride before you jump in bed with her and seal the deal!

Yo, Pupster, I'm presently GROOVING to Bernie Grundman's splendiferous remaster of Prince's 1999 which also came in the mail this morning. Absolutely astounding. Mr. D ...... Move Over ..... Mr P's IN THE HOUSE!

MakeMKV (and VLC, Audiomuxer and MMH etc) show the TrueHD (and DTS) Core streams. You can choose to rip rip/play or convert them). The BD menu shows only the main streams.

EDIT: Your AVR plays the stream (core, TrueHD or Atmos) it can decode based on its processor and your speaker configuration

So Garry, if you look at my screen shot of MakeMKV, it clearly shows a DD 5.1 mix which I grabbed with AudioMuxer and got onto my PC. Are you telling me that AudioMuxer downmixed the 7.1 to a 5.1 mix on it's own from the MKV file, or is there a 5.1 downmix already sitting there on the disc. If it is, then how do we know if it's a downmix or a real 5.1 mix?

So Garry, if you look at my screen shot of MakeMKV, it clearly shows a DD 5.1 mix which I grabbed with AudioMuxer and got onto my PC. Are you telling me that AudioMuxer downmixed the 7.1 to a 5.1 mix on it's own from the MKV file, or is there a 5.1 downmix already sitting there on the disc. If it is, then how do we know if it's a downmix or a real 5.1 mix?
By DD, do you mean AC3 or lossless? Also, do you see a DTS stream at all?

Back