The quandary: do I move on from my superb sounding 5.1 setup to be able to enjoy the latest surround technology? Thoughts/experiences welcome.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the highest Atmos bitrate you've all seen on a disc to date?
Atmos only comes in one flavor. 7.1 24/48, other stuff on the disc may have higher bitrates, but it isn't Atmos encoded. With the system change we are talking about, it's pretty easy to allow the Oppo, with it's high quality decoder, to decode everything but the Atmos. Since the MC-1 is a native 48khz processor, it works great for Atmos.

Got extra cables? All unbalanced connections? Zector switches how many channels? Make sure it works.

Now listening one I already have: Crime of the Century in 2.0 Pure Audio. Amazing how beautifully even the stereo release images to near surround...but I think it's about time for this to finally be released in (Atmos) surround...does anyone agree? I know Ken Scott does & is literally just waiting to be asked to do it.

Hint to Universal Music: 50th anniversary of the album this year would be an excellent time to do it. To quote the band themselves... "Is anyone listening"?

Adding the processor would also certainly give PA recordings like that locked in 2.0 purgatory (and Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life in particular) a new lease on life.

Atmos only comes in one flavor. 7.1 24bit/48khz

I was not aware that it doesn't go to 96khz...good to know.

Last edited:
Streaming Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus is often 5.1.
As I just implied, I don't think true audiophiles count that as Atmos:)

What are you using to upmix now?

So as for my upmixer, the unfortunately answer now is nothing. If you recall I mentioned I went through a McCormack /Conrad Johnson preamp before I got the AR. Well the only advantage (and I mean only) is that those CJ-based units had a slick ARM circuit which expanded 2ch into very convincing multi-channel (including center). The AR does not offer that feature...so the only method to expand 2ch is using the Oppo's primitive Neo-6 "enhancement" (which is very basic and has no adjustments so I don't even really count that). Oppo's Neo 6 vs CJ's ARM is analogous to streaming Atmos vs real disc Atmos :)

However, about a month ago I picked up from someone selling this cheap...which some of you may recognize. This also analog piece should do wonders taking a superb 2ch recording like the aforementioned Supertramp or Stevie Wonder and enhancing it to multi-channel (offers both side to side & front to back adjustments). So that's another option I plan to experiment with... make my own multi-channel out of the great-sounding stereo versions which are always offered. Been on call several weeks in a row for work and just haven't had the time yet.

https://www.schiit.com/products/syn
20240521_210108.jpg

Last edited:
But there is stuff that is streamed that isn't available any other way. Beatles Revolver, Tom Petty, Band on the Run,
Streaming ia also a way of trying out an Atmos mix before committing to a BD purchase. These discs aren't cheap nor are they stress free what with shipping costs and potential import duties and collection fees.

So as for my upmixer, the unfortunately answer now is nothing.
If you bought a processor to try decoding Atmos, it would also have several upmixing options. Dolby Surround (upmix) and Dolby Virtual for sure, DTS Neural:X and DTS Virtual:X (think I have those names right) probably, and maybe some Auro options. Maybe also proprietary upmixers eg. JBL have Logic 16 and others may exist.

But there is stuff that is streamed that isn't available any other way. Beatles Revolver, Tom Petty, Band on the Run,

Oh I know for sure. It's rather frustrating sometimes to see it only available streaming because of the significant sound quality difference. Let me add off the top of my head: A-Ha, ABC, CHIC. Lady Gaga, Billy Eilish, and Taylor Swift have pretty good ones too if you're into them.

Oh wait those first mentioned are all Steven Wilson mixes arent they. Yes they are :)

Reading the current system details and appreciation of the equipment assembled... Whatever you do, don't make a novelty out of Atmos. If you are used to a certain level of system and fidelity, you need to build up from that or the experience will be novelty and you won't really appreciate the new mixes. The advice to just grab some secondary AVR for Atmos doesn't sound good. The stepped on streaming Atmos is 128k mp3 sound at best. It's just not ready for prime time yet and it would not make a very good impression on you either. Certainly don't base what's possible with 12 channel mixes on current streaming Atmos!

Get your hands on the Dolby reference player and you can expand your system with the same components you already like.

And how would he do that with an all analog front end....
Well no, we aren't going to see 12 channel mixes sold on 2" reel to reel tapes. It's digital, man! Just like many other sources of music. Gonna have to get a digital player like a computer. It's just another form of tape deck, honestly. Works well too! Better than mirroring waveforms in magnetic medium, IMHO. He's not getting analog copies of those 5.1 albums he plays either.

Put the analog pieces on the ends and shuttle the ones and zeros around in-between. Take a well earned breather from reducing your entire analog chain to the least performing piece of gear! (And lose the double and triple re-conversions. THAT might make an audible upgrade for those signal paths!)

Haha, imagine the price of 2" tape album delivery!

Well no, we aren't going to see 12 channel mixes sold on 2" reel to reel tapes. It's digital, man! Just like many other sources of music. Gonna have to get a digital player like a computer. It's just another form of tape deck, honestly. Works well too! Better than mirroring waveforms in magnetic medium, IMHO. He's not getting analog copies of those 5.1 albums he plays either.

Put the analog pieces on the ends and shuttle the ones and zeros around in-between. Take a well earned breather from reducing your entire analog chain to the least performing piece of gear! (And lose the double and triple re-conversions. THAT might make an audible upgrade for those signal paths!)

Haha, imagine the price of 2" tape album delivery!
A computer and a 12 channel DAC maybe.

The man is looking to play optical disks at this point

Hell be able to keep his entire 5.1 analog system intact.

Streaming Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus is often 5.1.
As I just implied, I don't think true audiophiles count that as Atmos:)

What are you using to upmix now?

So as for my upmixer, the unfortunately answer now is nothing. If you recall I mentioned I went through a McCormack /Conrad Johnson preamp before I got the AR. Well the only advantage (and I mean only) is that those CJ-based units had a slick ARM circuit which expanded 2ch into very convincing multi-channel (including center). The AR does not offer that feature...so the only method to expand 2ch is using the Oppo's primitive Neo-6 "enhancement" (which is very basic and has no adjustments so I don't even really count that). Oppo's Neo 6 vs CJ's ARM is analogous to streaming Atmos vs real disc Atmos :)

However, about a month ago I picked up from someone selling this cheap...which some of you may recognize. This also analog piece should do wonders taking a superb 2ch recording like the aforementioned Supertramp or Stevie Wonder and enhancing it to multi-channel (offers both side to side & front to back adjustments). So that's another option I plan to experiment with... make my own multi-channel out of the great-sounding stereo versions which are always offered. Been on call several weeks in a row for work and just haven't had the time yet.

https://www.schiit.com/products/syn
There is an upmixer in that SYN? I thought it was just a simple DAC-preamp

The advice to just grab some secondary AVR for Atmos doesn't sound good.
I'm not suggesting that at all, I realise others are. I'm suggesting replacing the pre-amp with a similar quality Atmos capable processor.
Get your hands on the Dolby reference player and you can expand your system with the same components you already like.
And how is anyone supposed to do that when Dolby don't make the reference player available to the general public?

Last week I went to 7.0 from 5.0 with an Oppo 103 doing the 7.0 and my Oppo 95 doing 5.0.
With the 95, in the speaker setup, it's possible to turn off the side speakers which automatically make the rears the surround ....the 103, 105,203,205 won't do this ! So in 5.0 my sides are my back.
For me it's an easy solution..it just a matter of pulling the cables out and swapping them in..... 20 seconds at most. ( and the two surround back cables permanently live in the 103 so never need to be swapped.
I just choose whether I'm going to play 7.0 or 5.0 for that days listening.
I have an all analog seperate valve preamps/amps but my room is bigger than yours..from front large monitors to Surround back is 15 feet ( for 7.0) and my sides are 4 feet behind me which allows me to play 5.0 and 4.0.
What I love about that system is that I have all the channels at the level I WANT and then just use the master volume on the Oppo,s to set the playing level.

Last edited:
Back