Rush catalog on SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can add more detail now (I was having breakfast during my last post):

-early Rush catalog on Universal, who dropped hi-rez like it was kryptonite
-later Rush catalog on Atlantic (Warner), an opponent to SACD
-new label rumoured to be Rounder, who after releasing the excellent Alison Krauss SACD's, also dropped hi rez like a hot tamale.

No way the band will fund an SACD project itself. Faggetaboutit.

Best two channel you'll get is MoFi's Permanent Waves which is very good indeed

You can't really blame Universal and Rounder. Uni carried all the water for MC for a couple years and was justly disappointed when it fell flat (of course, the utter lack of any sort of promotion didn't help any). And poor Rounder, the little indy, jumped off when the majors did.

Someday, some way, it'll come back again. The industry needs another Brad Miller to come in and start making boutique MC product again. So what if it costs $40 per disc? I'd pay it.

Missed opportunity when they released Permanent Waves. I can't understand why they didn't release that on SACD.
You're right. Once they release a gold CD of something, everything else by that artist will be on gold CD also. Same thing happened to Santana and Ronstadt. Such a shame.

http://www.amazon.com/Hemispheres-Rush/dp/B00DPH7QBQ/?tag=vglnk-c104-20

Good news & bad news!

Good: Looks like an SACD of "Hemispheres" will be released in August!
Bad: It's from Audio Fidelity, so chances are it will be stereo only.

I'm still holding out for a possible CD/DVD-A and/or CD/Blu-Ray reissue of "Hemispheres" this year, since it's the 35th anniversary.
It's always possible such a release could come out at the very end of the year.
I know a lot of people dog Rich Chycki for the 5.1 mixes, but they're better than nothing, aren't they? ;)

I wonder if these AF RUSH SACD releases are based on an album's anniversary.
If so, maybe next year (2014), we'll see SACDs of the 1st album, Grace Under Pressure, and Presto (40, 30, 25)

I'm only in for this Hemispheres SACD if we don't get a 5.1 release by the end of the year, but till then, I'll wait.
Don't want to double-dip like what's happening on these Yes releases... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As far as I know, Rush has only been available on vinyl for the highest quality copies of the stereo mixes. No quad mixes were ever made.

2112, Permanent Waves, & Moving Pictures are available in special edition audiophile pressings from Holland. Permanent Waves was also remastered by MFSL (4th generation MFSL release). Some elements are cleaner on the MFSL, others on the earlier Holland pressing - a more difficult choice here but the Holland pressing wins by just a little bit for me. (4th gen MFSL in general did not impress.)

Every CD remaster I've heard sounds shrill and chirpy as one might expect. Sometimes CD's are mastered aiming for slightly better sound quality over the typical portable use of the format. This is not the case for Rush CD's.

A couple years ago I think they advertised 24 bit 96k digital masters of the 1st 12 albums in 3 box sets with a bonus of 3 of the albums remixed in 5.1 surround. OMG WOW and all... We'll call these the Bait n' Switch boxes! Only the 3 albums with the bonus 5.1 remixes had the 24/96 stereo masters. Everything else was chirpy CD quality. And the 24/96 masters weren't real either! They were processed with heavy compression and hyped high end to the point of severe distortion. These were very clearly the files that were being processed for the portable CD master version (and an aggressively small portable master at that) but before the final format reduction to 16/44.1. The sound was like low bit rate mp3.

The surround remixes were a joke. Almost certainly knocked out by some intern. Completely unlistenable. Clumsiness, distortions... not a serious attempt in any way.

Just a 100% example of record company bait and switch!

Sorry for the digression in an SACD thread. As for that, I invested in Apogee PCM conversion a while back so DSD is just not in the budget - especially with apparently more shenanigans going on with poor quality and lossy work than with PCM DVDA releases.

.....Don't want to double-dip like what's happening on these Yes releases...
The whole SH forum is jumping up and down yelling "more Yes SACDS". Do this one next. Well, you know, they only play the redbook layer anyway so they probably don't care about the 5.1 deluxe packages.

These were very clearly the files that were being processed for the portable CD master version (and an aggressively small portable master at that) but before the final format reduction to 16/44.1. The sound was like low bit rate mp3.

And this sounds like ridiculous audiophile hyperbole. When mp3 bitrates are low enough for artifacts to be audible, you can *bet* it doesn't sound like any of the Rush CDs.

And this sounds like ridiculous audiophile hyperbole. When mp3 bitrates are low enough for artifacts to be audible, you can *bet* it doesn't sound like any of the Rush CDs.

Alright, the mp3 comment was more of a cheap shot at the aggressively hot mastering. Which is in addition to the bait and switch business.
As for being susceptible to any ridiculous audiophile hyperbole, all I can tell you is 24/96 digital masters usually sound the best to me. CD's still sound more or less great, but we're having a snobby discussion here. Vinyl runs from 24/96 master-like to much worse than any mp3. I have far too many vinyl albums where I prefer the sound of the CD instead.

Anyway, the stereo mixes on vinyl sound excellent on the 3 audiophile editions and still really solidly good on the rest. I've heard 2 CD editions and the vinyl sounds better than either. Certainly more of a comment on the mastering than purely a result of the format. Then those box sets I'm ripping on with the worst sound of them all.

So no Rush SACD's have been released, right? Are there any other digital releases I missed that actually attempted to preserve the sound quality on these albums?

Back