SACD Mono or Multi-channel...why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect a portable device...Adam is never rude....

Right as ever on the first count... Wink wink!
BEing portable ordinarily not a problem, i've got the touchscreen thing licked even though I hated it initially.. this is one of those iPad cases with a built in keyboard, its like a stand/easel thing.. seemed ike a good idea at the time oh well..
(Have been knows to be a teeny bit rude on occasion.. hehe)

Before I purchased the Beatles Mono Box that was released in 2009 I did exhaustive research about which version to buy...I didn't buy it until 2 years later...the majority opinion was the MONO version was the best overall product...I say overall because the reality is that some of the Beatles catalog sounds better in Stereo and some of it in MONO....the consensus was that more of it was better in MONO...so that is what I went with...it didn't have anything to do with nostalgia or what I was used to hearing

Did you ever hear EJ's Empty Sky in Mono, Linda?
Apparently its quite different to the common or garden Stereo.. but its a toughy to locate :eek:

No, I haven't. I've had a CD US LP and a 2ch 8 Tk from the UK of Empty Sky. Never heard it in mono.

I have the UK Piper at the Gates box, which has 2ch & mono mixes, among other things. I'll have to a/b them, as well.

Listened to Sly Greatest mono CD layer of SACD in my car. I see what you mean on balance The difference doesn't seem great. I had no idea that a mono CD is still 2 channels of info, albeit repeated from one channel to another. Mono LP's and tapes are a single info stream.

I missed the level differences because I was in the kitchen each time I played the mono SACD layer of Sly's Greatest.

As for Beatles, I'll stick with 2 ch versions on most tracks. Eagerly awaiting my 1+1+1=5.1 Blu-Ray set. The MoFi LP Beatles Collection (limited to 15,000 copies) generally sounds the best.

Just like the US 2 ch LP, and MoFi individual LP, the MoFi LP box has several tracks in electronic stereo on side 2 of MMT. To my knowledge, the German LP is the only LP pressing that has them in REAL Stereo. I prefer to listen to MMT on German LP.

I've had the Beatles' ouvre in 2ch on UK Collection LP box, Rolltop CD box, and CD box from 10 years ago. The mono versions do sound a little punchier and more solid. Still, the 2ch versions are preferable to me.

When Please, Please Me, With the Beatles, UK Hard Day's Night and Beatles for Sale were originally released on CD, many were led to believe that these albums never existed in 2 ch. Hooey! They are 2 ch on the UK LP Collection box, MoFi LP box, and 2 ch CD box from '09.

The bass is much more pronounced on Tales of Brave Ulysses off Cream's Disraeli Gears mono CD's. Each includes 2ch and mono mixes. The mono mix is tacked on to the MoFi Gold CD & 2 CD expanded versions.

Not sure if I ever answered "mono vs. multichannel" question. Multi wins hands down!

Yep...I can't really describe the difference in words, but "Astronomy Domine" just sounds really different right off the bat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0en1Y5S-w.

It also turns out that the stereo version of "Interstellar Overdrive" is missing an organ overdub that's prominent right from the beginning of the mono mix...and I think there's an additional guitar overdub as well.

In contrast, the mono version of the second album doesn't sound that different to me...except for "Corporal Clegg", where this time it's the mono version that's missing something really obvious.

I always thought that the mono mix of Piper was one of the more striking examples of the stereo remix being very much an inferior after the fact just for the new format kind of thing. There are also a few vocal parts that were recorded during the mono mixdown that are hence not part of the multitrack and missing from the stereo remix.

For me the mono Piper is the definitive version and the stereo remix kind of an unlistenable aside.

For ASOS on the other hand, both versions have their charm. The stereo remix is a legitimate reworking of the album. The new guitar overdubs in the stereo mix of Corporal Clegg are the most obvious difference. But there's actually just a bit higher fidelity and depth to the mono mix throughout - especially the title track. The stereo remix isn't lo-fi by any stretch... Play them both on a boombox and the stereo mix probably hits you as more tightly produced. Play them on a full system where you can turn up the volume with fuller dynamic range material and suddenly the mono mix has more depth and fidelity.

Both mono CD reissues for Piper are actually really decent sounding. You'd need a really clean copy of the original vinyl to maybe top them. The mono Saucerful is hard to come by unfortunately. No official reissues ever. They're still sitting on the master HD reissues of... well, everything but DSOTM & WYWH. There are bootleg CD's of Saucerful that sound like a lo-fi nightmare. There are lots of vinyl transfers online as well that are just about the worst example of a vinyl transfer you're ever likely to hear.
Very difficult to acquire recording.

As many of you may know, there is a Listening in MONO thread. If you haven't been there, i urge you to check it out: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...972-Listening-to-Now-in-MONO-Blasphemy!/page5

I know that multichannel and lossless are what QQ is about. Still, for the hard core fan, mono releases have much to offer.

Although my mono rock and jazz CD's & LP's number in the hundreds, there's another world of historical releases that were only released in mono. Much of my blues collection predates multitrack. There are certainly early rock and jazz titles that fall into this category. You won't hear most Louis Armstrong in Stereo, because he lived for the first 13 years of that format. Early Miles Davis is mono. Bessie Smith is not to be missed. Her work predates stereo by 20 years or more.

There are lots of great mono SACD's to check out, especially Prestige and Blue Note titles.

I know this is petty, but it winds me up: mono is not an acronym, it doesn't require all capital letters.

Here’s an example that applies to a huge chunk of the music that I listen to. From 1957 to 1960, the engineers at Capitol Records would record most sessions in both Mono and Stereo (to three track tape). Both had completely different microphone set-ups and placements and their own dedicated recording consoles. The Mono was essentially done live with all EQ and echo on the spot whilst the three track was still dry and untampered with. It was remixed usually about a week later to make the stereo reduction. So the differences are found on almost every level from mic placement, EQ, the type of echo chamber used and effects like compression applied, to levels between the vocals and the orchestra. This is why you’ll hear different nuances between the Mono and Stereo versions of albums and in some cases instruments are heard more in one than in the other.

Other labels, like Columbia and RCA Victor would record on three track tape and then mix down to both Mono and Stereo.

Here are short examples using Nat “King” Cole superb Analogue Productions SACD which offers all three versions: Mono, Stereo and three track Multichannel. You'll noticed that on the Mono clip, the piano and the harp are present and nicely balanced with the rest of the orchestra and that Nat's vocals have reverb applies to them. On the Stereo clip, the piano and the harp are on one side and far into the mix whilst Nat's vocals are much dryer. Same take, two different snapshots! This is why I like having both version. I have the choice depending on my mood.

Mono [video]https://youtu.be/Q6y38oqv_sQ[/video]

Stereo [video]https://youtu.be/7GNP1Cr5Kcc[/video]

P.S. Clips made available here correlate with the 90-second, freely available iTunes samples.

The 3-channel stereo on that Nat King Cole 2 X SACD set w/yellow cover (name escapes me at min) is one of the best sounding things -- everrrrrrrr...!!! :p

The 3-channel stereo on that Nat King Cole 2 X SACD set w/yellow cover (name escapes me at min) is one of the best sounding things -- everrrrrrrr...!!! :p

It's a superb recording

001.JPG
002.JPG

Wow, LOL..that is petty...I mean...I usually use all caps to draw attention to a particular word. Plus, just typing mono sort of seems boring...

Life's the same, moving in QUADIO..

(I'm hoping those Warners geezers get that Cars 5.1 mix out next.. I mean we've got Tusk in surround coming for Christmas.. WOW.. anything is possible now isn't it..?

That's the one, thanks Clint! Isn't it something that one of the best sounding Multichannel SACDs has NO rear channel activity..! :eek:

It's just incredible that music from the 50's could sound that good...so warm and intimate... as much as I love 5.1 and quad recordings...I'd take this sound quality over an average 5.1 anyday....I'd gladly lose the extra channels for quality like this disc provides..

Yes, LOTS OF TITLES from Capitol, Columbia and RCA were recorded with state-of-the-art technology and sound incredible. Three channels are far better than two. BUT, I'd much rather hear something behind me than ambience or nothing.

I like to hear Joe when he's behind me. "Yes, Dear" sounds great when he's bringing up the rear pushing the grocery cart.

It's just incredible that music from the 50's could sound that good...so warm and intimate... as much as I love 5.1 and quad recordings...I'd take this sound quality over an average 5.1 anyday....I'd gladly lose the extra channels for quality like this disc provides..

Clintroversial... ;)

I'm all about 2 things in music...number 1 is content...if you don't like the material...what's the point...I have enough "demo" discs and I don't need recordings with "explosions" and gimmicks(Roger Waters)...number 2 is sound quality...that's what hi rez music is supposed to provide and justify the extra cost...if my ears are bleeding it's of little consolation that I get to hear it in 5 channels:scream

Agreed.

But, if it's music worth listening to, then let's hear it all around, if possible.

I'd rather listen to Bessie Smith or Tampa Red in glorious mono than some drivel in 5.1

I'm all about 2 things in music...number 1 is content...if you don't like the material...what's the point...I have enough "demo" discs and I don't need recordings with "explosions" and gimmicks(Roger Waters)...number 2 is sound quality...that's what hi rez music is supposed to provide and justify the extra cost...if my ears are bleeding it's of little consolation that I get to hear it in 5 channels:scream

Back