SACD Mono or Multi-channel...why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mono or MC? You might as well say, stereo vs. MC? Quad vs. 5.1? Depends on the recording and situation, really. A 5.1 PEPPER would be great, the stereo is good, but the mono Lp, having been mixed first, is a unique experience all its own, as is the White Album and a fair portion of MMT.

The interest in mono has increased in recent years due to many factors (including more young people getting into vinyl, and older listeners reconnecting with vintage music), which in turn has brought out reissues like the Beatles and Dylan mono box sets and, indeed, literally hundreds of reissues of either mono Lp's or singles collections. Until the early '70s, most singles were mono only, except for a brief late '50s/early '60s excursion into stereo 45's, and in 1968, as labels slowly began to issue selected 45's in stereo. By 1969 Capitol. Decca and RCA were putting out stereo 45's regularly, but most other labels--including Columbia--waited until 1970 or later to make that a habit. Mono was not only meant for teens or those with modest sound systems, but AM radio most of all, which is why an act like Three Dog Night would actually remix album tracks for mono for 45 release, rather than put out the stereo Lp cut, or even a stereo 45 remix. Everyone had different reasons for using mono sound. The recent Sly disc offers us mono for an album originally issued in stereo only (oK, stereo except for three tracks that were rechanneled because the multis needed to remix to stereo weren't readily available). By the time of the quad release, those tapes were found and all tracks remixed to 4.0. But the mono mixes never had an album of their own until now, and those mixes were the first made from the tapes, since most of Sly's singles were issued on 45 before they appeared on any album.

Now what we need is a Doors hits SACD with the 45 mixes, some of which would be mono, others stereo. There are many differences for those, too.

ED :)

There is something special about well recorded and mastered mono recordings. I was over a friend's house and he played one of those mono recordings. Now he had speakers that were over six feet tall driven by two Mac 500 watt monoblocks...a high end system. I was amazed that this mono source actually provided front to back imaging. Certain instruments appeared to be behind others even though coming from a single line directly between the two speakers. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

Now what we need is a Doors hits SACD with the 45 mixes, some of which would be mono, others stereo. There are many differences for those, too.

You said Ed! I'd go for this in a flash!

A 5.1 PEPPER would be great, the stereo is good, but the mono Lp, having been mixed first, is a unique experience all its own

This one's always puzzled me. There are several titles where I can easily hear whopping great differences between the mono and stereo versions, but this isn't really one of them. Yeah, there's the speed difference on "She's Leaving Home" and some other differences, but it isn't one of those "Wow! This is really something!" experiences for me. But literally everyone else in the entire world says I'm wrong.

Yes!!!!!

Hey gang - I have a question about mono (MONO) :)

So, lets talk about vinyl. Specifically, lets talk about Jefferson Airplane. Furthermore...lets talk about Surrealistic Pillow.

I AM going to buy this on vinyl. Except, they have a couple versions.

1. 45 RPM MONO edition
2. 180 Gram Stereo edition

As you can imagine, the MONO version description leads you to believe that this is the ultimate version. Well.....I have to wonder....I do want the best sounding, but will I be disappointed in the mono version considering I'm used to hearing stereo on that?? Or will the mono be a "revelation" to my ears?

Help!

So, lets talk about vinyl. Specifically, lets talk about Jefferson Airplane. Furthermore...lets talk about Surrealistic Pillow.

1. 45 RPM MONO edition

As you can imagine, the MONO version description leads you to believe that this is the ultimate version. Well.....I have to wonder....I do want the best sounding, but will I be disappointed in the mono version considering I'm used to hearing stereo on that?? Or will the mono be a "revelation" to my ears?

Help!

OK, I could buy both...but I'm not made of money....

For me the mono Piper is the definitive version and the stereo remix kind of an unlistenable aside.

The mono Saucerful is hard to come by unfortunately. Very difficult to acquire recording.

Thanks for covering Piper. When I saw the thread title this was my first thought. The stereo and mono are two different experiences. I would not characterize the stereo as unlistenable myself. I love them both! As a collector I love alternate versions of the same music, and am grateful when I can find them, no matter what the format or channel characteristics. The Piper mono CD release was a dream come true for me. So glad that came to pass.

As for the mono Saucerful, I did buy a reissue on blue vinyl. I was hoping it was legitimate, but alas, now I suspect not. I would gladly purchase an official reissue if one were pressed. This is the only Pink Floyd official 12" vinyl that is not in my collection! That said, it is not so different from the stereo that I am willing to part with hundreds of $$$ for the privilege of owning. UNLESS it came in a box set with dozens of live Pink Floyd live shows from the era, ala Road To Red. I might part with thousands for that!!!!

1. 45 RPM MONO edition

Help!

Well...you might be able to answer your own question...I know you have the Surrealistic Pillow on CD...but I'm not sure what version...I have this one..the importance of having this re-issue is that it's in Stereo...BUT...the bonus songs are in Mono...and 2 of those bonus Mono songs are repeat songs on the album and they are my favorite songs on the album..Somebody to Love and White Rabbit...in listening to both versions of those songs I easily prefer Somebody To Love in Mono...White Rabbit is pretty close in preference....I think the safe route is to go with the original..mono...and the "future" sacd of this release is also in mono HERE

Since vinyl is not in my wheelhouse...you need input from the vinyl warriors on here...just looking at the offerings on acoustic sounds raises questions...there is the more expensive MoFi release complete with the somewhat dubious review proclaiming excellence HERE...another choice touts the mastering of Joe Reagoso(?) and is white vinyl pressed at RTI(?) and significantly less cost HERE..and then bringing up the rear...complete with a bad review is this puppy.....btw...none of these say stereo...

Well...you might be able to answer your own question...I know you have the Surrealistic Pillow on CD...but I'm not sure what version...I have this one..the importance of having this re-issue is that it's in Stereo...BUT...the bonus songs are in Mono...and 2 of those bonus Mono songs are repeat songs on the album and they are my favorite songs on the album..Somebody to Love and White Rabbit...in listening to both versions of those songs I easily prefer Somebody To Love in Mono...White Rabbit is pretty close in preference....I think the safe route is to go with the original..mono...and the "future" sacd of this release is also in mono HERE

Since vinyl is not in my wheelhouse...you need input from the vinyl warriors on here...just looking at the offerings on acoustic sounds raises questions...there is the more expensive MoFi release complete with the somewhat dubious review proclaiming excellence HERE...another choice touts the mastering of Joe Reagoso(?) and is white vinyl pressed at RTI(?) and significantly less cost HERE..and then bringing up the rear...complete with a bad review is this puppy.....btw...none of these say stereo...

I know, haha. Well, Acoustic Sounds is where I've been eye-balling those 2 discs. I even have them primed and ready in my cart...and I can get 15% off with a coupon....I'm itching....
Also, yeah - I don't knwo which CD version I have....that might be easier said than done to locate it. :)

There was an RCA CD several years back that put both versions on the same CD. I don't remember any dramatic differences, but that album isn't burned into my brain the same way that anything by Pink Floyd is.

As has already been said, a lot of the time the mono version of something is just an interesting alternative to those of use who've only heard the stereo for decades. If it's an album I like, that's enough to make me want to buy it.

Back