HiRez Poll Pet Shop Boys - NONETHELESS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pet Shop Boys - NONETHELESS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from the Pet Shop Boys entitled "Nonetheless".
The album has been mixed in Dolby Atmos and is available to purchase on Blu-Ray Audio.

(y) :) (n)

blu-ray_1500.jpg

above solid album for these boys now 40 years into their career. Sounds both very modern and sufficiently retro. Very enjoyable. And music so well suited for immersive mixing. Stellar job by Stan Kybert. Tempted to give it this a “10” but I will save that for (hopefully someday) surround mixes of “Please” and “Actually”

Easy “9”!

A very good album in terms of songwriting and production. The sound quality is superb but the mastering is highly compressed.
Good Atmos mix, quite immersive. The vocals are prominent in the mix and it's a good mixing choice not to put them in the center speaker, which tends to be unnatural for surround sound music. Hence little to no activity in the center speaker, but also in the height speakers. The Atmos mix sounds like a quad mix.
You'll find mostly strings, synths and backgroung vocals in the rear speakers.
I guite enjoyed that mix. It's cohesive, compared to the stereo mix, maintening the same general balance which is not always the case with surround mixes.

Last edited:
I'm juggling between an eight and a nine, so I'll go for a nine. I'm enjoying the album. But being Pet Shop Boys, I had been expecting a more adventurous, less conservative mix. Perhaps not quite as adventurous as Yello's Point album, but still, something closer to that kind of thing. And it would have been nice to get those bonus tracks of remixed earlier songs (such as the iconic Being Boring) which are on at least one edition of this album. Ah well. Still a good album.

I give Nonetheless a 9, but I bumped the score up because of the strong musical content. If I were to rate the album on mix alone, it would be somewhere in the 7-8 range. The mix is definitely competent. Everything is there and it sounds pleasant enough. But, I agree with Mistee, the surround mix is...conservative. I think there are some missed opportunities from a mix standpoint that if taken, could have favorably enhanced the overall music presentation. The songs, however, are very strong and I think the disc compares favorably to the Pet Shop Boys classic Behavior album. If you are a fan of that record, I think you will find much to like here.

Back