Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only did I chime in on the PledgeMusic site, I also sent an email to Paul Sinclair over at SuperDeluxeEdition.com, asking him to highlight the set and the ridiculous price in a post on his website.
Some of you may remember that in the past, Paul has given some pretty ferocious opinions on certain releases' contents and prices, especially when it came to Peter Gabriel's Super Deluxe Edition for "So".
Any and all frustration that we can drum up may help them to rethink their formats and prices.
I for one am not expecting a standalone Blu-Ray release to happen at all, but if they can at least split the vinyl and the other discs (the 3 CDs and Blu-Ray) into two separate releases, then I think many of us would have a lot less to complain about.
well, i'm tend to agree with you on very slim chance for standalone BD-A but at same time can't see the reason/necessity to include anything with it.
that's not brand new work as it happens with new releases, when artist looking to reach wider audience which mainly possible only with widely accepted
format and includes BD-A/DVD-A as complimentary for particular audience. even so, SW started to break this tradition and so far seems it works.
i never heard CD of this album but i have two near mint LPs from past millenia. they still sound great in regard of recording/mixing and there are nothing
which can improve sound on newly pressed vinyl over old ones. i guess same applies to original CDs. most likely re-mastering only need to be done if one
has intention to make it sound a la "modern way" bad.
the only improvement over any previous prints can be achieved, it's a HiRez surround mix with increased fidelity and dynamic of the sound, as it can be seen
with previously released prints on DVD-As albeit stereo only.

I was first exposed to this title when the original 1970's KSAN played the whole album and various tracks on and off, even before it hit the record stores. It's a great album and I used to play this through my SQ decoder back in the day. We have wanted this title in surround for years. I'm not sure this is a single title, big box set for $100.

Whatever the format, I do prefer a physical disc and would prefer any vinyl to be ala carte. I do have vinyl capability, but would rather be offered a no-vinyl option.

I like what I've heard, but haven't been exposed to much. I can't imagine it's one of his top sellers.
Those would be Eye in the Sky and I Robot, right?

I believe they sold more. Certainly the song "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You" from the album "I Robot" was an AM radio Hit - getting played often here. But "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" was the one that started it all the year before, and did crack the top 40 album sales for awhile with radio airplay:

The Alan Parsons Project discography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alan_Parsons_Project_discography

Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Alan Parsons Project album): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Mystery_and_Imagination_(Alan_Parsons_Project_album)

I love Alan Parsons' mixes. Hopefully we can get this title in surround, in some easily attainable format to buy, that folks can play.

I left a post on Pledge too. My preferences would be:
1 standalone Blu-ray
2 cd+Blu-ray or DVD combo
3 CD or vinyl + flac 5.1 download
4 standalone flac download

I would absolutely purchase the stand alone blu-ray or a multichannel download; no chance I would ever buy the box set.

Another vote for blu-ray or multichannel download (under $30 USD).
While you have his ear, maybe a Pledge or Go Fund Me for a low frills 5.1 for more of the back catalog.

--Greg

5.1 box set of the entire catalog?

Another vote for blu-ray or multichannel download (under $30 USD).
While you have his ear, maybe a Pledge or Go Fund Me for a low frills 5.1 for more of the back catalog.

--Greg

Uh, that's not really how it works. This album ("Tales of Mystery and Imagination") is owned by Universal, while the rest of the APP catalogue is owned by Sony, and as we all know, the practices of one record label do not always translate over to another.
I don't see this upcoming release as a way to test the waters for more APP 5.1 mixes. I see it for what it is, a single release.

GOOD FREAKIN CRAP !! :flame

$261.00 cdn plus shipping, tax !! -and for what a pile of 12 in. and cd size frisbees. (Oh and a 5.1 bluray, with no 5.1 extras).

Unless I can get a standalone cd/bluray set or even cd/dvd, (y)they can count me out.:zzzzz

Uh, that's not really how it works. This album ("Tales of Mystery and Imagination") is owned by Universal, while the rest of the APP catalogue is owned by Sony, and as we all know, the practices of one record label do not always translate over to another.
I don't see this upcoming release as a way to test the waters for more APP 5.1 mixes. I see it for what it is, a single release.

It can't hurt to get the idea to AP, regardless of the label situation. Ok, so the debut isn't in the set. No biggie.

GOOD FREAKIN CRAP !! :flame
$261.00 cdn plus shipping, tax !! -and for what a pile of 12 in. and cd size frisbees. (Oh and a 5.1 bluray, with no 5.1 extras).

Unless I can get a standalone cd/bluray set or even cd/dvd, (y)they can count me out.:zzzzz
yeah, that what infuriated me yesterday as well.

This album ("Tales of Mystery and Imagination") is owned by Universal, while the rest of the APP catalogue is owned by Sony, and as we all know, the practices of one record label do not always translate over to another.
i'm not sure how much involved and weight to say in this case has UM.
from pledge page i see everything is handled by Wolfson trust. i never seen before the label, particularly calibre of Universal, pledges for funding for upcoming release.

that fruitless. seems mind of AP&Co. been already set up on cash grab for nothing.
even if they decide to go for separate BD-A, price tag will be not much different from present. for excuse they
will throw in with BD-A couple CDs and bunch of "memorable" coasters.

Hi otto, :)

I think the marketplace for 5.1 has indeed reached a critical turning point, now a standalone 5.1 release is expected.

In the past, our market was so small, producers could chose whatever package they wanted to sell their boutique (5.1 - vinyl)
properties. But my gut tells me that our market has indeed crossed a threshold and now that we are larger in numbers, we expect a single 5.1 release. Most of the industry has realized that and adjusted their marketing strategies. That's not to say that artists will all stop trying to extort us with exorbitantly priced boxed sets.

In the past, many of us felt forced into buying these over-priced sets since we feared a cheaper release wouldn't happen. Well now there is so much more product in 5.1, I do believe more and more consumers now have confidence to pass on the rip off "deluxe" packages and wait for a single release.

We waited for Aqualung, Quadrophenia, Steve Hackett & Pink Floyd... and we were rewarded.

If Alan Parsons & Woolfson family insist on the old "rip off" style of marketing, I think they will be misinterpreting current market conditions and will be disappointed with the sales results. Just my $.02

@Adam: You Handsome, silly English K-N-I-G-H-T... I posted a comment right after you did, laddie.:)

@Clint: Fortunately, YES have always charged very fair prices for their concerts & music releases, so I've never had to worry about that "what if" scenario about the pricing of Tales From Topographic Oceans. Its hard to say what you would do until you actually must make a choice. I thank YES for never putting me in that position. Now... "What if I was blessed with 11 inches" you say? I will gladly answer that one...:smokin

I think the marketplace for 5.1 has indeed reached a critical turning point, now a standalone 5.1 release is expected.

In the past, our market was so small, producers could chose whatever package they wanted to sell their boutique (5.1 - vinyl)
properties. But my gut tells me that our market has indeed crossed a threshold and now that we are larger in numbers,
you're right on this. i'm in this surround game since second half of 90s and albeit i do not have precise statistic and numbers, from my
observation over past 16+ years i can compare interest to surround format and HiRez let's say 00s and now. there are significant growth,
given the fact absolute absence any promo from music industry in regards of surround either in past or present.

@ Squire Denny,

Not to mention, but I must, our 5.1 and 4.0 is actually reaching a "saturation point" where boxes as expensive as that bugger have no place for the average collector like this serf.:D

$150 list for a 9 album bluray box of all quad albums is more than fair I would say esp since they are 9 best selling widely known albums

$250 for a box of stuff just to get a single 5.1 bluray for a marginally successful title is so far out of line its absurd

Back