Quadraphonic AM Radio - Maybe a first?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan Berichon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I work at a radio station that is in AM Stereo, and one of my side jobs is to update the music library in our automation system.

Well, one of the songs that "the boss" decided he wanted added was Pink Floyd's "Us and Them."

So being the Quad geek I am, I decided to add the SQ encoded version of this track to the computer instead of the Stereo version (if for no other reason then I like the extra saxophone that is excluded from the Stereo version).

(I recorded it off of my SQ LP copy of "Dark Side of the Moon" which is in pretty good shape.)

How does a SQ encoded track fare after being broadcasted over an AM Stereo radio station? That's the big question, one I will answer soon.

So, if you live in Portland, OR, connect the SQ decoder of your choice to your AM Stereo radio, and tune into the only locally opperated AM Stereo station left in the area! Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
The quad mix should sound even better if and when your station upgrades to HD AM stereo imho.

hwkn said:
The quad mix should sound even better if and when your station upgrades to HD AM stereo imho.
No it won't.

Analog AM Stereo sounds much better then HD-AM in my opinion.

Also, part of the problem with HD-AM is that it's basically a very lossy compression technology. AM Stereo isn't.

HD-AM claims to have response out to 15KHz. Problem is that anything above about 5 or 6KHz is simulated, where as AM Stereo has true response out to just below 10KHz on a good radio.

If you would like some real world examples of HD AM, please let me know. The clips that I-Biquity has up on their website aren't even close to being representative of how it really sounds.

(I apologize if I come off as being disrespectful in anyway, I certainly don't mean to! HD Radio is a subject that hits close to home for me because I am a radio engineer in "real life".)

I agree that CQuam AM stereo is superior to IBoc (HD) radio in all aspects, with the additional problem of IBoc radio's sideband interference with other frequencies. To sum it up, in my opinion, IBOC HD isn't worth anything.

MTGC (Michael)

I work at a radio station that is in AM Stereo, and one of my side jobs is to update the music library in our automation system.

Well, one of the songs that "the boss" decided he wanted added was Pink Floyd's "Us and Them."

So being the Quad geek I am, I decided to add the SQ encoded version of this track to the computer instead of the Stereo version (if for no other reason then I like the extra saxophone that is excluded from the Stereo version).

(I recorded it off of my SQ LP copy of "Dark Side of the Moon" which is in pretty good shape.)

How does a SQ encoded track fare after being broadcasted over an AM Stereo radio station? That's the big question, one I will answer soon.

So, if you live in Portland, OR, connect the SQ decoder of your choice to your AM Stereo radio, and tune into the only locally opperated AM Stereo station left in the area! Heh heh heh...

I played an SQ version of Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water" on an AM Stereo station I worked at in Panama City, Florida, and recorded it off the air. It decoded nicely. But these days, there just aren't enough AM stereo radios in use anymore to make your effort worthwhile, except to yourself. Too bad.

There is an AM stereo station I listen to, but they don't broadcast music. They converted to talk radio because they couldn't compete against the many FM stereo stations with their wide bandwidth. But I know they are capable of AM stereo, because I saw their transmitter. Across the room there was a processing rack with an Orban Optimod stereo generator. Stereo AM never caught on I guess because the radio manufacturers never got on board. The FCC ought to increase the allowable bandwidth on the AM band. That would help. Of course, it would require reallocating frequencies, but it would be worth it. Back in the early days when AM radio was king, there were some very fine AM tuners built with 4 and 5 gang RF tuners and up to 4 IF sections. Very selective and very sensitive. Now most AM/FM radio receivers have very rudimentary AM sections. One RF stage and one IF stage. I think if there was wider bandwidth, there would be more interest. Stereo was a good idea, but without the bandwidth, it's no sale. As far as quad on AM goes, it should work fine.

The Quadfather

AM stereo was a good idea at the time, but it was too little, too late. By the time it was authorized by the FCC, most music had migrated to the FM dial. Those AM stations still doing music back then were watching their ratings steadily decline. The handwriting was on the wall by then, and most AM stations went to another form of programming. As for assigning more bandwidth to the AM band, it won't happen. The band is crowded enough. The only real answer is HD Radio, which can make AM stations sound as good as analog FM stereo, and FM stations sound like a CD. I've heard digital AM here, and it truly sounds excellent. No static, clear highs, and excellent stereo separation. The station you cited in your post, Quadfather, may have that equipent in their transmitter chain, but that doesn't mean they actually are broadcasting in stereo. If they're announcing that they're in stereo, I doubt many people can actually hear them that way. Besides, talk radio doesn't really benefit as much from stereo as a music format. Many AM talk stations have made the conversion to HD Radiio, so maybe you can suggest this idea to the folks at that station. But as for analog AM stereo, the ol' C-QUAM system is dead, and the final nail is ready to be hammered into its coffin. HD Radio is a worthy successor, and it does a better job of delivering the goods.

I saw that Sony Japan still sells portable FM/AM stereo radio.

BTW, there's one local AM stereo radio here in Italy, and they're proud of it ;)

I'm surprised they even bother. I had actually heard that AM stereo wasn't practical in Europe due to the crowded band and 9 kHz spacing of the frequencies. What does that station play? I would guess that, sooner or later, they'll abandon AM stereo and go DAB.

Back