Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This release just got some serious bashing in Amazon's customer reviews section.
My copy is on the way (fingers crossed for Monday!), but without all the QQ feedback, I'd probably cancel my order straight away reading this:

I dislike the way some of these Amazon customers sugar coat things and can't get to the point...

Wow... I tried to write a review of the 5.1 mix on Amazon as a rebuttal to Mathew L., but it wouldn’t let me submit it because I already reviewed the CD version. My response to that review is that this mix isn’t “Four corner” discrete; they make no attempt to isolate anything in a single channel... but they do relegate elements to zones around the room, and the surrounds are used extensively, and there are cool panning effects here and there... it is a huge, full, immersive mix that works for me! It’s almost a new kind of surround mix, different than I’m used to, but excellent just the same :)

Wow... I tried to write a review of the 5.1 mix on Amazon as a rebuttal to Mathew L., but it wouldn’t let me submit it because I already reviewed the CD version. My response to that review is that this mix isn’t “Four corner” discrete; they make no attempt to isolate anything in a single channel... but they do relegate elements to zones around the room, and the surrounds are used extensively, and there are cool panning effects here and there... it is a huge, full, immersive mix that works for me! It’s almost a new kind of surround mix, different than I’m used to, but excellent just the same :)
Have you thought about editing your CD review instead? Although, I haven’t checked, I’m sure Amazon is lumping all The Mission reviews together.

This release just got some serious bashing in Amazon's customer reviews section.
My copy is on the way (fingers crossed for Monday!), but without all the QQ feedback, I'd probably cancel my order straight away reading this:

Wow. So, in summary, that reviewer thinks it's not a good mix because it's not like all the good mixes he cited. 'Nuff said. Haikubass, I think you're more reasonable than this (or were you being sarcastic?)

Wow. So, in summary, that reviewer thinks it's not a good mix because it's not like all the good mixes he cited. 'Nuff said. Haikubass, I think you're more reasonable than this (or were you being sarcastic?)

Agreed. I checked his other reviews and he bashed both Fleetwood Mac (for being DD only of course) and the Toto IV SACD. There's always a few one star reviews on Amazon.

Just ordered this- did a quick preview on Spotify and I like what I heard- not expecting the best mix in the world but hopefully better than the Guthrie "big stereo" style. Some great early reviews here (such as yours) seem to suggest it's better than that :)

Agreed. I checked his other reviews and he bashed both Fleetwood Mac (for being DD only of course) and the Toto IV SACD. There's always a few one star reviews on Amazon.

Just ordered this- did a quick preview on Spotify and I like what I heard- not expecting the best mix in the world but hopefully better than the Guthrie "big stereo" style. Some great early reviews here (such as yours) seem to suggest it's better than that :)

Actually, I would say it's "Guthrie big stereo style", with additional elements flying around when appropriate. But whereas with Guthrie's mixes we had much-revered quad mixes as benchmarks, we don't have one for this album. The fact is, it sounds great. LuvMyQuad said:
The descriptions of the mix being "very immersive but with discrete elements" makes me think of the 5.1 mixes of "Amused to Death" and "Misplaced Childhood". I hope it sounds more like the latter (which I like very much).
but I think this is MUCH more immersive than "Misplaced Childhood" (I've never heard "Amused To Death"). This mix really puts you in the middle.

Last edited:
This mix really puts you in the middle.

Actually, you really have to be in the middle, literally. The rear speakers are definitely louder than the front channels. It almost sounds like the front and rear speakers are reversed.

On second listen, I’m starting to really like the songs. It’s a grower and, overall, I may find myself playing the stereo version over the Surround version whenever I want to listen to it.

Interesting...the guy who slagged it on amazon says the backing vocals are in the fronts and the lead vocal is louder in the rears, so maybe it is flipped?

I'll be sure to take a look when my copy comes.

REALLY sounds like Replacement Discs are in order. I won't have mine until next week so I cannot comment!

Unless you're playing The Mission analogue OUT, there's really no way to reverse the channels utilizing HDMI!

Last edited:
At least for me, I just don't sense the rears louder than fronts. What I do notice is that, for example, often the dominant vocals are equally distributed across all speakers. To me, that's why it sounds immersive.

I just don't think there is anything wrong with this disc. I think it sounds absolutely wonderful. Of course....I do have some awesome...equally matched Klipsch towers in the 4 corners.

Interesting...the guy who slagged it on amazon says the backing vocals are in the fronts and the lead vocal is louder in the rears, so maybe it is flipped?

I'll be sure to take a look when my copy comes.
I think, something is not right. Probably why so many are enjoying it so much. :LOL:

I’m listening to the two-channel version with the Auromatic upmixer and it sounds normal again. Some great songs but it seems kind of short in this day and age.

At least for me, I just don't sense the rears louder than fronts. What I do notice is that, for example, often the dominant vocals are equally distributed across all speakers. To me, that's why it sounds immersive.

I just don't think there is anything wrong with this disc. I think it sounds absolutely wonderful. Of course....I do have some awesome...equally matched Klipsch towers in the 4 corners.

LMAO! I did mean to add some of these.... :LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:SB

REALLY sounds like Replacement Discs are in order. I won't have mine until next week so I cannot comment!

Unless you're playing The Mission analogue OUT, there's really no way to reverse the channels utilizing HDMI!

Unless you’re playing flac files, in which case you can easily switch them around.

Ralphie, you should be a moderator, always on, never sleeps, knows everything, compliments my brother.

Please don't start that replacement stuff ...no wonder the disc format is doomed...every time someone "thinks" something is wrong...they start to think they should have something fixed...the fix that is really needed...is right here

Back