Why We Collect

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not a collector, I’m a preservationist! Of course my large collection would be given away or disposed of when I pass. Just taking up space as far as my wife is concerned. I started collecting in the early 70s so I can identify with many aspects of the video. Napster is where the sea change occurred IMHO. Big expensive box sets aren’t helping the situation.
848F2882-3991-4693-8090-62EF0BF6F411.jpeg

I collect Multichannel Mainly because I love the music. There is nothing more liberating than taking an amazing journey as you are smothered in sound. IMHO, there is no comparison between a stream and a physical disc. I have been collecting Multichannel for over 20 years, that said, my collection value has outperformed my stock portfolio.

Quite a few great posts. Whenever I feel that I have everything, I visit someone's house or see a pic or video. Steve has a great collection and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. For those of you who say "she has everything," I don't have 3/4 of what Steve has depicted. Some wonderful hours of exploration...

Bought my first adult record at 3. It was a 78. A sea shanty, no less. Vince Martin & the Tarriers (incl Alan Arkin.) I've been collecting for 65 years in 2022!

As much as I talk of 2ch and mono titles, I fell hopelessly in love with Quad when I first heard it demonstrated in my own house!! Two Chicago FM stations simulcast Quad. One did the fronts, the other did the rears. Hooked! Really, it was just the logical progression of my love of 2ch. In 1962, my Dad bought a stereo. No more mono. Although my allowance could scarcely stand an extra $1, I gladly paid it for 2ch LP's. Ditto for Quad ten years later.

Although I couldn't afford a Quad system. That was corrected immediately after college. I had already begun collecting Quad LP'S during college.

As a child, I began collecting. It was inevitable. We lived downstairs of my Grandparents and two teenage aunts. All big music fans. Quiet Village, Elvis, Chuck, Fats all were ingrained from an early age.

If that weren't enough, we moved and there was a boy on our block whose Dad was in the jukebox business! He was my age. Instant BFF's at 5! A two car garage filled with jukeboxes, one of which always had our faves! That was Louie's personal juke box.

OK, so why do I collect? It's like that dog in that old joke, because I can. Right now, there are 7 devices in my main A/V system that have one or more internal HD's. Only one is a PC. Four of those can also write/read optical disc formats. Plus a turntable and 5 audio or a/v tape decks. 4 other home surround systems. 3 more in cars.

Joe downloads often, I rarely do. I prefer physical media, because it can be sold after I pass. If anyone tried to sell off the downloads, I believe that would be illegal.

Although we have a few hundred albums and some video content stored in those drives, that's a very small percentage of the collection.

It's much easier to sort, play, and file physical media than it would be transferring all that to HD. So I can have any disc at my finger tips? Most will be lucky to get another spin prior to my leaving this planet. Not planning on leaving soon. Perhaps if I live to 120 and don't go to sleep...

Physical media has taken over the home long ago. The collection takes up an entire room. Portions are housed in part of another 5 rooms, along with gear that's working and some that's temporarily or permanently retired.

Forget pix. Just as loading 20,000 CD's and more to digital, too involved. At best, I post pix of new acquisitions and rarities. Instead, need to explore the hundreds of Q8's & QLP's in some new legacy polls soon.

Sure, it became an obsession, a fetish, a sickness. I've met lots of folks in my years in hi-fi business and concert going. Met many other music crazies on QQ and through other hi-fi and music pals. Now, when I pull something to play, it invariably becomes a treasure hunt. Grab one or two other that I didn't spin in years. That's the crux of why I do it.

Disc shopping, QQ, listening all easily become down the rabbit hole. As a friend of mine in Brooklyn says, "it's a great hobby, of course it means you never have money." Maybe I can't take it with, but I can hum a few as I (hopefully) ascend to the pearly gates.

Quite a few great posts. Whenever I feel that I have everything, I visit someone's house or see a pic or video. Steve has a great collection and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. For those of you who say "she has everything," I don't have 3/4 of what Steve has depicted. Some wonderful hours of exploration...

Bought my first adult record at 3. It was a 78. A sea shanty, no less. Vince Martin & the Tarriers (incl Alan Arkin.) I've been collecting for 65 years in 2022!

As much as I talk of 2ch and mono titles, I fell hopelessly in love with Quad when I first heard it demonstrated in my own house!! Two Chicago FM stations simulcast Quad. One did the fronts, the other did the rears. Hooked! Really, it was just the logical progression of my love of 2ch. In 1962, my Dad bought a stereo. No more mono. Although my allowance could scarcely stand an extra $1, I gladly paid it for 2ch LP's. Ditto for Quad ten years later.

I began collecting and likely had no choice. It was inevitable. We lived downstairs of my Grandparents and two teenage aunts. All big music fans. Quiet Village, Elvis, Chuck, Fats all were ingrained from an early age.

If that weren't enough, we moved and there was a boy on our block whose Dad was in the jukebox business! He was my age. Instant BFF's at 5! A two car garage filled with jukeboxes, one of which always had our faves! That was Louie's personal juke box.

OK, so why do I collect? It's like that dog in that old joke, because I can. Right now, there are 7 devices in my main A/V system that have one or more internal HD's. Only one is a PC. Four of those can also write/read optical disc formats. Plus a turn table and 5 audio or a/v tape decks. 4 other home surround systems. 3 more in cars.

Joe downloads often, I rarely do. I prefer physical media, because it can be sold after I pass. If anyone tried to sell off the downloads, I believe that would be illegal.

Although we have a few hundred albums and some video content stored in those drives, that's a very small percentage of the collection.

It's much easier to sort, play, and file physical media than it would be transferring all that HD. So I can have any disc at my finger tips. Most will be lucky to get another spin prior to my leaving this planet. Not planning on leaving soon. Perhaps if I live to 120 and don't go to sleep...

Physical media has taken over the home long ago. The collection take up an entire room. Portions are housed in part of another 5 rooms, along with gear that's working and some that's temporarily or permanently retired.

Forget pix. Just as loading 20,000 CD's and more to digital, too involved. Instead, need to explore the hundreds of Q8's & QLP's in some new legacy polls soon.

Sure, it became an obsession, a fetish, a sickness. I've met lots of folks in my years in hi-fi business and concert going. Met many other music crazies on QQ and through other hi-fi and music pals. Now,when I pull something to play, it invariably becomes a treasure hunt. Grab one or two other that I didn't spin in years. That's the crux of why I do it.

Disc shopping, QQ, listening all easily become down the rabbit hole. AS a friend of mine in Brooklyn says, "it's a great hobby, of course it means you never have money." Maybe I can't take it with, but I can hum a few as I (hopefully) ascend to the pearly gates.
I always enjoy reading your posts about your musical travels. I love the treasure hunt analogy. I’ve been told more than once I couldn’t possibly listen to every one in the time I have left on this planet. Too me it’s okay if I only listen to it once. I look at the purchase as the price of admission. How is that different than buying a ticket to a movie? The difference is that media is there to visit again and again or maybe never. We were fortunate to live through the various physical media phases.

New York Times says I have used up my freebies for the month (Shocked, shocked, I say!) so I’ll have to try a podcast server - not a problem, just a hoop to jump through. I collect stuff I think I will enjoy. I’m not always right, but usually the physical media is a keeper, unless my fading memory means I buy a duplicate.

One of my collections of physical media is Indianapolis 500 race audio and video. The event is the largest single-day sporting event in the world, held in a stadium that holds over 300,000 people. Although it’s not the event it was in the 70s and 80s, it’s still “the greatest spectacle in racing.”

Although I couldn't afford a Quad system. That was corrected immediately after college. I had already begun collecting Quad LP'S during college.

As a child, I began collecting. It was inevitable. We lived downstairs of my Grandparents and two teenage aunts. All big music fans. Quiet Village, Elvis, Chuck, Fats all were ingrained from an early age.

OK, so why do I collect? It's like that dog in that old joke, because I can. Right now, there are 7 devices in my main A/V system that have one or more internal HD's. Only one is a PC. Four of those can also write/read optical disc formats. Plus a turntable and 5 audio or a/v tape decks. 4 other home surround systems. 3 more in cars.

It's much easier to sort, play, and file physical media than it would be transferring all that to HD. So I can have any disc at my finger tips? Most will be lucky to get another spin prior to my leaving this planet. Not planning on leaving soon. Perhaps if I live to 120 and don't go to sleep...

Physical media has taken over the home long ago. The collection takes up an entire room. Portions are housed in part of another 5 rooms, along with gear that's working and some that's temporarily or permanently retired.

Forget pix. Just as loading 20,000 CD's and more to digital, too involved. At best, I post pix of new acquisitions and rarities. Instead, need to explore the hundreds of Q8's & QLP's in some new legacy polls soon.

Sure, it became an obsession, a fetish, a sickness. I've met lots of folks in my years in hi-fi business and concert going. Met many other music crazies on QQ and through other hi-fi and music pals. Now, when I pull something to play, it invariably becomes a treasure hunt. Grab one or two other that I didn't spin in years. That's the crux of why I do it.

Disc shopping, QQ, listening all easily become down the rabbit hole. As a friend of mine in Brooklyn says, "it's a great hobby, of course it means you never have money." Maybe I can't take it with, but I can hum a few as I (hopefully) ascend to the pearly gates.

great post QLinda. You could have not said it any better. And as a collector myself - though my tally pales in comparison to yours - its a fun sickness !! I tried the streaming thing - its nice, but its not for me. Im looking forward to retirement in a year or two and then I can REALLY begin to enjoy the fruits of my collection labors. In the meantime the tally continues to grow.........

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought that it was going to be a tirade about collecting. Some people just don't get it, they consider us to be hoarders (quite a different thing IMHO). It still amazes me me how non collectors will spend big money on something (equipment or software) then a short time later scrap it all the while going on with the next big thing!

As for myself, I remember loving a few songs that were played on the radio at the time. Back in Kindergarten (1961) I loved the song "Please Don't Talk to the Lifeguard" by Andrea Carroll. Doing some quick research I'm surprised to find that it wasn't a big hit. It was again played on the radio in 1964 but unbeknownst to me this time is was by Diane Ray, that version charted higher but I don't recall it getting the same airplay locally.

Then came the Beatles, I didn't much like them at first. I think that I was both influenced by my parents aversion to their music and to their "long hair"; which wasn't actually that long, just a crazy mop style.

Then in 1967 it was for me "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron" by The Royal Guardsmen, not long after that I discovered AM Rock radio stations including CKRC, WDGY and WLS and was blown away by the music, loving perhaps 80-90% of the music played. There were always a few songs that stood out above the others and many of those were not big hits, I became a bit saddened as a particular songs popularity waned and I was no longer able to hear it on the radio.

Eventually I purchased a very cheap portable reel to reel tape recorder. It was so cheap that it didn't even have a capstan to control the tape speed! So I started recording my favourites off the radio using the supplied microphone. Shortly thereafter I graduated to a portable cassette recorder and started to record direct without the use of the microphone. The sound quality was exactly like the AM radio!

Again I became more quality conscious and started to buy records, first just a few 45's and pre K-Tel albums. Then discovered The Record Club of Canada and started purchasing many more albums. Interestingly many of the album tracks contained songs that weren't on the radio but that were just as good as the hits if not better! I was no longer confined to "Greatest Hits" packages.

My collection started to grow. AM radio was my primary source for new music, back then I would buy the 45 and/or LP. Both my memory and the playing of "Solid Gold" or the "Million Dollar Weekend" on the radio alerted me to look out for many oldies as well.

In the early seventies along came "Quad". I had graduated very quickly from mono the stereo to Dyna-quad, then to the real thing. At first I purchased the quad albums that I was most familiar with but latter started to delve into other releases simply because they were "Quad". I discovered many new artists that way, Poco, Deodato, Airto, Johnny Winter, Nektar to name some off the top of my head. With other stereo albums that I didn't much care for, such as those by "Aerosmith", I came to love the quad versions!

FM radio started to take over from AM in the late seventies. FM differed from AM in that there was no real top 30 or 40, they even played entire albums at times! Again I discovered a lot of new music that way.

Much latter my daughter introduced me to "Napster". Far from being just a free source of music I found that I was now discovering new (to me) music that I wasn't getting much of from radio sources any more. Heck it even had a chat feature, I often talked to Lynn Carey (Mama Lion), I had posted some of her songs as none came up via any of my searches. She actually wanted people to hear her music, she's not greedy like "Metallica"! Of the music that I downloaded that I really enjoyed, I would eventually buy the CD (or LP if no CD was available). If not for Napster I would still be unaware of a lot of great music. The music industry shot itself in the foot by fighting file sharing. No different than listening to music free on the radio but better selection! Now we have streaming, so what is the difference now?

There is something special about holding physical medium in your hands especially LP's. Owning a download is just not the same, I don't consider it to have the same value. Rather I would think of it in a similar manner as a radio broadcast. You are just renting it! I'm digitising much of my collection for convenience and preservation but will not part with my large collection. My collection is not nearly as large as Quad Linda's but is still sizable by most other standards.

Discogs has a cool feature in that you can use it to catalogue your collection, it even gives you an estimated value.

It's not only HOLDING an album/nice box in your hands while listening, I also think there is a kind of PERSONAL PRIDE involved that surfaces when listening to something in your collection, and most especially VINYL...I know because I have some rips, which I listen VERY often which sound freaking HEAVENLY...now, I know I did not create that music but you adopt it as yours because you identify with it and took great care of something as fragile as a slab of vinyl from probably many decades ago and it's probably the highest quality on any CONSUMER analog medium (sorry, the analog R2R don't cut it for me)...
right now I am playing a rip I did on May 12, 2012 and recently cleaned it further using the IZOTOPE RX 7and it really takes my breath away!!!

I collect physical product because I lived through the era of music where things could and did become cut-out, deleted or otherwise no longer available.
This would happen for various reasons - lack of sales on a title, label or artist recalls (Live Yardbirds, Yesterday & Today original cover, etc.), label goes out of business or legal disputes (Cameo-Parkways). And when that happened prices would skyrocket even if you could find the item. This was before the internet so Goldmine auctions were pretty much the only option. I don't regret a single purchase and still enjoy playing, holding and looking at my collection of LPs, R2Rs, cassettes and multi-channel discs. (Never bought 8-tracks - I couldn't stand the hiss and track changes in the middle of a song.)

You know people need hobbies whether its stamp collecting, coins or even rocks (geology majors). I enjoy holding and reading album covers etc. The only negative I will say about physical music collecting is the space it takes especially record albums. But streaming yea its convenient easy to store but I much prefer looking at a stack of albums or CDS or whatever and just choosing one to listen to. I can see it there. And the crackles hiss and pops that can be on an album are a history of it being listened to and enjoyed I really dont mind it up to a certain damage level.

When I was in college I would study in the library stacks. Sometimes on a break I would explore the shelves and pull out books at random to thumb through.
Some interesting finds.

my collection takes up a fair amount of house real estate. that is indeed the problem with physical media. Nothing better to do when the weather is crappy than to 'explore' the racks. Find a gem, something Ive not listened to in years - or maybe never - and play it, and smile that music nirvana smile . As my wife says about me - simple pleasures for simple minds. And I tell her that I resemble that remark. :LOL:

Last edited:
I have a decent collection of music, but I'm not really a collector in the sense that others on this forum are. That title belongs to those who have a collection of a certain size, or who have been collecting for a certain amount of time, or who have a degree of passion about collecting that comes across when they talk about it.

For various reasons, I no longer have much of the media I bought when I was younger, although I still have a couple of milk crates of LPs and a couple of boxes of cassettes. I remember the ritual of putting an LP on the turntable, passing around the cover--and other things--and just . . . listening.

I love telling people I have over 1200 original cd’s and over 200 blu rays, it’s my obsession, I can’t imagine anyone boasting “I have over 1200 albums and 200 movies downloaded” It definitely doesn’t have the same ring to it. If I like something I want to pay the people who produced it for their trouble, too many people have illegally downloaded stuff and that could be one of the reasons some of us fear the physical medium is on it’s way out

My musical tastes are very eclectic, and as such, I never know when I'm going to want to listen to this kind of music or that, this artist or that, this genre or that. While, yes, they take up room, I don't have a problem with that. A good percentage of my record collection is quadraphonic, not to mention my CD's, DVD-A's, and SACD's. Music soothes this savage beast, so I'm not willing to part with any of it. Add to it? Absolutely!

I have bought, years ago, your standard CD racks. I have built several. I bought two tall open cabinets a few years ago. The living room is awash with racks...the ones I built are typically much larger than the average "comes in one color, black". I still have some space left, but not a whole bunch. All my CD's are packed into boxes and distributed throughout the house and If I get a new one it gets ripped and the disc put in storage.

My main pc has over 60TB of storage. I have all my DVDA's/SACD's/DTS-CD's/DVD's ripped, and duplicated on separate drives. I have I think 5 or 6 smallish (1 to 8TB) HDD's on a shelf full.
I have copies of my important surround BD's ripped, some duplicates, some have even been burned and the originals put away, though I've gotten away from that since my jailbroke Oppo 103 I can stream .iso's to of my music that is ripped to .iso, or basically any music or video , all from the pc.

Since I'm over 71 now, I've been thinking of a plan to pass all my music along to someone else when I go, which hopefully will not be anytime soon. I have someone picked out to take charge of everything when I go. Honestly my wife want's nothing to do with all this music and assorted disc players I've accumulated, the kids aren't interested in surround music. Why not pass it on to someone else? My wife knows to call a certain number on my phone and basically say, come and get it if you want it.

Back