Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it's obvious we've got some sort of a ball rolling at this point. So once again, I reiterate with what previously were some untouchable heavies:

- Paul Simon
- Edgar Winter
- Johnny Winter
- Jerry Reed
- Waylon Jennings
- Dolly Parton

and dare I even speak the name of the unholy: EAGLES

Hell, let's see if we can steal over that Tanya Tucker unreleased Quad and get it a physical release with remastered stereo for the first time anywhere! That would blow peoples' minds - and the Quad mix is pretty good, too!!

Absolutely need all these Paul Simon Quad albums. (Listing from Discogs.)

Attachments

• PSimon Quad.jpg
    PSimon Quad.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Another silly thought : Laura Nyro.
So, we know "Eli & The 13th Confession" was done to Quad at least three times. Jim Reeves claims he did "Christmas & the Beads of Sweat" and a magazine article from way, way back claims "Gonna take a Miracle" was done and coming soon. (Sorry, I don't jot down sources, just what albums get mentioned) That got me thinking. Laura Nyro was a fairly heavy-hitting artist for CBS in her day. Were any other albums given the Quad treatment? Maybe it's worth a look?? I for one won't cry over a second release of "Eli" for those who missed it the first time around on Audio Fidelity. Should we get a three-pack or a foursome on a D-V 2-disc set, one being the inclusion of "Eli".... I'm not going to piss and moan.

Not to mention, I don't think any of her albums have been re-released in any form in a long, long time. I'd say her stereo albums are due some time in the sunshine.
Not a silly thought at all. I’m a major Laura Nyro fan; please take my money!

Makes me wish for a DV release of a “Robin Reels” series(I could always dream 🤷‍♂️). Speaking of which, I can’t fathom why anyone would want to stand in the way of a Ten Years After quad release.

I have two slightly rambling thoughts on DV:

1. The James Galway that MJ Dutton mixed into quad (Showpieces/ Magic Flute). Has anybody else studied the tape box pics? It does state 'Quad' on the tape box. Not in the sense that it was a quad mix, but that something was recorded ready for quad. Looks like the 8 track master tape had 3 x stereo groups of instruments and then a final pair for 'quad'. Which was, presumably, the rear-room ambience ready for putting in the rear speakers? So... although this was originally a stereo-only release it looks like it was recorded with quad in mind. Or have I misunderstood?

2. As I was thinking about the above I was reminded of Andrew Lloyd-Webber's Variations album (the album which us Brits know as the theme tune to The South Bank Show.) This feels like the kind of thing DV might release - classical but also with a large 'popular music' bent. It was only ever a stereo release but given the fact that MJD is remixing things into quad, this would be a nice fit. I know I'm opening a whole new can of worms here, suggesting DV release quad albums that don't exist, but I can't help myself :)! I really do think it would be DV's kind of thing, it's just wishful thinking about it being remixed to quad.

I am still lobbing for the rest of the Henry Mancini titles. Below are the copy and paste from the Quadraphonic Discography.
The titles highlighted in red are the ones I would like to see. It would absolutely make my day to see these released.

HENRY MANCINI -
A Warm Shade of Ivory. RCA PQ8-1441 (Q8), R4P-5010 (CD4) [Japan &
Philippines], RCA R4S-5013 (Q8) [Japan]
Best. RCA EPQ1-1128-QF (DQR), PQ8-1128 (Q8)
Best Vol. 2. RCA EPQ1-1315-QF (DQR), PQ8-1315 (Q8)
The Concert Sound Of. RCA PQ8-1226 (Q8), APDT-1226 (Q8) [Italy]

Country Gentleman. RCA APD1-0270 (CD4), APT1-0270 (Q8)
Hangin' Out. RCA APD1-0672 (CD4), APT1-0672 (Q8)
Live In Japan. RCA R4P-5017 (CD4) [Japan]
Mancini Country. RCA PQ8-1552 (Q8), R4P-5025 (CD4) [Japan]
Mancini Salutes Sousa. RCA APD1-0013 (CD4), EPQ1-0013-QF (DQR),
APT1-0013 (Q8), R4P-5037 (CD4) [Japan], R4S-5034 (Q8) [Japan]

Original Screen Hits. RCA R4P-5066 (CD4) [Japan]
Screen Best. RCA R4P-5033 (CD4) [Japan]

Six Hours Past Sunset. RCA PQ8-1508 (Q8), RCA R4P-5014 (CD4)
[Japan], RCA R4S-5018 (Q8) [Japan]
Symphonic Soul. RCA APD1-1025 (CD4), APT1-1025 (Q8)
Theme from "Z" & Other Film Music. RCA EPQA-4350-QF (DQR),
PQ8-1583 (Q8), R4P-5003 (CD4) [Japan], PQ8-1583 (Q8) [Italy],
RCA R4S-5015 (Q8) [Japan]

HENRY MANCINI & DOC SEVERINSEN -
Brass On Ivory. RCA PQ8-1862 (Q8)
Brass, Ivory & Strings. RCA APD1-0098 (CD4), EPQ1-0098-QF (DQR),
APT1-0098 (Q8), R4P-5039 (CD4) [Japan], APD1-0098 (CD4) [Italy],
APDT-0098 (Q8) [Italy]

Return of the Pink Panther (Soundtrack/Mancini). RCA ABD1-0968
(CD4), KBQ1-0968-QR (DQR), ABT1-0968 (Q8)

The Project 3 catalog would be great too.

Keep hoping.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see more Mancini from D-V as Mike's right-hand man there, Oliver Lomax, is a huge Mancini fan. Personally I think the two 'Best Of' comps would make a great two-fer as they cover most of his biggest hits from the '60s, all of which is material that hasn't been covered on any of the other D-V Mancini quad releases.

The two titles Original Screen Hits and Screen Best are just compilations released in Japan of film music from his other quad releases, so they can be discounted - that just leaves Concert Sound, Salutes Sousa and Live in Japan which would make a nice '3-on-2' compilation to complete the set.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see more Mancini from D-V as Mike's right-hand man there, Oliver Lomax, is a huge Mancini fan. Personally I think the two 'Best Of' comps would make a great two-fer as they cover most of his biggest hits from the '60s, all of which is material that hasn't been covered on any of the other D-V Mancini quad releases.

The two titles Original Screen Hits and Screen Best are just compilations released in Japan of film music from his other quad releases, so they can be discounted - that just leaves Concert Sound, Salutes Sousa and Live in Japan which would make a nice '3-on-2' compilation to complete the set.
Now that's good news, gives hope. We do have Peter Gunn on Audio Fidelity's "Collection"
I do have the CD4 of Sousa and when I can play without breakup during the crescendos, I figure the set-up is aligned.

I am still lobbing for the rest of the Henry Mancini titles. Below are the copy and paste from the Quadraphonic Discography.
The titles highlighted in red are the ones I would like to see. It would absolutely make my day to see these released.

HENRY MANCINI -
A Warm Shade of Ivory. RCA PQ8-1441 (Q8), R4P-5010 (CD4) [Japan &
Philippines], RCA R4S-5013 (Q8) [Japan]
Best. RCA EPQ1-1128-QF (DQR), PQ8-1128 (Q8)
Best Vol. 2. RCA EPQ1-1315-QF (DQR), PQ8-1315 (Q8)
The Concert Sound Of. RCA PQ8-1226 (Q8), APDT-1226 (Q8) [Italy]

Country Gentleman. RCA APD1-0270 (CD4), APT1-0270 (Q8)
Hangin' Out. RCA APD1-0672 (CD4), APT1-0672 (Q8)
Live In Japan. RCA R4P-5017 (CD4) [Japan]
Mancini Country. RCA PQ8-1552 (Q8), R4P-5025 (CD4) [Japan]
Mancini Salutes Sousa. RCA APD1-0013 (CD4), EPQ1-0013-QF (DQR),
APT1-0013 (Q8), R4P-5037 (CD4) [Japan], R4S-5034 (Q8) [Japan]

Original Screen Hits. RCA R4P-5066 (CD4) [Japan]
Screen Best. RCA R4P-5033 (CD4) [Japan]

Six Hours Past Sunset. RCA PQ8-1508 (Q8), RCA R4P-5014 (CD4)
[Japan], RCA R4S-5018 (Q8) [Japan]
Symphonic Soul. RCA APD1-1025 (CD4), APT1-1025 (Q8)
Theme from "Z" & Other Film Music. RCA EPQA-4350-QF (DQR),
PQ8-1583 (Q8), R4P-5003 (CD4) [Japan], PQ8-1583 (Q8) [Italy],
RCA R4S-5015 (Q8) [Japan]

HENRY MANCINI & DOC SEVERINSEN -
Brass On Ivory. RCA PQ8-1862 (Q8)
Brass, Ivory & Strings. RCA APD1-0098 (CD4), EPQ1-0098-QF (DQR),
APT1-0098 (Q8), R4P-5039 (CD4) [Japan], APD1-0098 (CD4) [Italy],
APDT-0098 (Q8) [Italy]

Return of the Pink Panther (Soundtrack/Mancini). RCA ABD1-0968
(CD4), KBQ1-0968-QR (DQR), ABT1-0968 (Q8)

The Project 3 catalog would be great too.

Keep hoping.
The Paul Mauriat titles are great, too.

One suggestion I would make is could D-V take another stab at "The Best of the Guess Who" ? For that I mean lets once and for all get the channel assignments correct and on ONE disc. It's a popular title. The Audio Fidelity version is out of print and suffers from channel errors.... can we finally, after 50 years get it right? Help us Mr Dutton, you're our only hope.
Beyond that.... I'm still holding out for the Edgar & Johnny Winters, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, Dolly Parton....
Failing that, let's dig up some unreleased stuff!! Maybe give that Tanya Tucker Greatest a physical release! Or let's find something that NOBODY knew about.

One suggestion I would make is could D-V take another stab at "The Best of the Guess Who" ? For that I mean lets once and for all get the channel assignments correct and on ONE disc. It's a popular title. The Audio Fidelity version is out of print and suffers from channel errors.... can we finally, after 50 years get it right? Help us Mr Dutton, you're our only hope.
Beyond that.... I'm still holding out for the Edgar & Johnny Winters, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, Dolly Parton....
Failing that, let's dig up some unreleased stuff!! Maybe give that Tanya Tucker Greatest a physical release! Or let's find something that NOBODY knew about.
What were the channel assignment issues? Does the AF release differ from the reel or the Q8?

What were the channel assignment issues? Does the AF release differ from the reel or the Q8?
I just got beat to the question of channel assignments. It has been a while since I listened to the CD4 and Q4 reel and I can't remember the differences.
My real question is how do we know that the AF SACD is not the correct version? Does there exist production notes from the studio or the band itself?
Interesting?

Last edited:

The problem stems from the fact that there was a production error on the American Woman Q8. The first program has a channel error - off the top of my head I cannot remember exactly what it is. It's either swap the lefts front to back or swap the rights front to back. Whichever puts the drums MORE to the rear and lets the guitar solos spin in a clockwise direction.
But when the "Best of" was produced, they simply pulled the same tapes used for the American Woman Q8 and copied them over. So, the songs "America Woman", "No Time" and "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" wind up with improper channel locations, but the rest of the Q8/Q4 is correct.

When the guys at Audio Fidelity tried to fix what was broken, I don't think they were aware of which songs were effected, and just simply went for what sounded good.
freddyblue has mentioned that on many of the RCA Master Tape boxes, there is NO notation for track format. So that could be any of three layouts and with the Guess Who stuff not being super discrete.... it's very hard to tell. So, that disc is a complete hash of it since they re-assigned channels on songs that didn't need to be changed.

However, I'm basing my educated assumption on what matches the other songs. If you listen to the rest of the American Woman album, or even the other Guess Who Q8's.... they don't really treat the 4 speakers as 4 corners. A LOT of the early RCA Quads (in the PQ8 series) are more of a "four wall" type of layout utilizing the phantoms between speakers and essentially creating 4 pairs of stereo speakers.

So, to get the song American Woman straightened out, we want ONE guitar front and center. We want another guitar BACK Center. Bass & Burton are in all four. Drums are mixed to stereo and slanted slightly (about 85%) to the rear with kicker in Back Left and the rest of the kit in Back Right. Conga & Bongo seemed to have been mixed on their own channels and those go in the stereo phantoms Center Left and Center Right. The guitar solo should spin clockwise.

The song "Talisman" is really hard to figure out BUT, about 3/4's of the way through the song, two guitars engage in what I call a "steeplechase" effect. One guitar is literally chasing the other guitar around the room with about 180° degrees of separation between them. Get the channels WRONG, and it simply turns into Uncle Burton's guitar freakout.

But then we also have to make sure phasing is correct. This is where a 4-channel oscilloscope really comes in handy. A mono signal should produce a laser like beam. An out-of-phase mono signal will create a V between channels and this is incorrect. This is why some articles that spin around the room seem to disappear at certain points or the sound seems to pulsate.

Seriously, this is one of my favorite albums and just once I'd like to have a commercial, hi-res version that I just pop in the car and "dig". Doesn't make much sense to me if I have to buy a commercial copy, rip it, reset the channels, only to convert to DTS since I seem to lack the talent to create a DVD-Audio disc. I certainly don't have the facilities to stamp an SACD so, I would very much like to put on my Dr. Sam Beckett suit and set right what once went wrong. Not only for my enjoyment, but for yours too.

Last edited:
Back