A Talk with Michael Dutton - Of the Dutton Vocalion and Epoch Record Labels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Covering a vast range of topics, from Montenegro to Black Sabbath and beyond.
Mr. Dutton has graciously offered a 20% coupon on select Quad SACD titles. Details below and given during the talk.

Enjoy and please support Mr. Dutton with some views, likes, comments, and especially some album purchases.
I look forward to reading and hearing about all the happy listening that will ensue!

---

20% Discount Code: LifeInSurround

For the titles below.
Expires 17 days from today.

---

Link For Charles Gerhardt Picture book to Lost Horzions Disc Cat no CDLK4608

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/charles-gerhardt-classic-film-scores-pictorial-tribute/id1477587833
There is the Waxman and the Hermann as well, very good surround !

---

CDLK 4572 – FLOYD CRAMER • CLASS OF ‘73, ‘74 & ‘75

CDLK 4577 – FLOYD CRAMER • SUPER COUNTRY HITS & THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

CDLK 4590 – MIKLÓS RÓZSA • RÓZSA CONDUCTS RÓZSA

CDLK 4594 – ANDRE KOSTELANETZ PLAYS MUSIC OF VILLA-LOBOS & CONDUCTS MUSIC FROM SPAIN

CDLK 4597 – DANNY DAVIS & THE NASHVILLE BRASS • TRAVELIN’ & CARIBBEAN CRUISE

CDLK 4599 – PERCY FAITH • CHINATOWN & LOVE THEME FROM ROMEO AND JULIET

CDLK 4603 – HENRY MANCINI • MANCINI COUNTRY & COUNTRY GENTLEMAN

CDLK 4615 – RAY CONNIFF • THEME FROM S.W.A.T. & SEND IN THE CLOWNS

CDLK 4617 – RONNIE MILSAP • PURE LOVE & A LEGEND IN MY TIME

CDLK 4622 – DOTTIE WEST • HOUSE OF LOVE & IF IT’S ALL RIGHT WITH YOU ...

CDLK 4641 – DAVID RAKSIN CONDUCTS HIS GREAT FILM SCORES

CDLK 4645 – NO, NO, NANETTE – THE NEW 1925 MUSICAL • NEW BROADWAY CAST

CDSML 8518 – HUGO MONTENEGRO • OTHERS BY BROTHERS & SCENES AND THEMES

CDSML 8524 – THE MAIN INGREDIENT • EUPHRATES RIVER

CDSML 8525 – HUGO MONTENEGRO • HUGO IN WONDER-LAND & NEIL’S DIAMONDS

CDSML 8546 – BILLY PAUL • LIVE IN EUROPE

CDSML 8552 – DR. TELENY’S INCREDIBLE PLUGGED-IN ORCHESTRA • STOLEN GOODS/ETTORE STRATTA & THE BAROQUE POPS • VIVA VIVALDI!

CDSML 8553 – HENRY MANCINI • HANGIN’ OUT WITH HENRY MANCINI & THEME FROM “Z”

CDSML 8569 – THE MIRACLES • LOVE CRAZY & THE MIRACLES

2CDLX 7365 – LA BOHÈME • VERDI & PUCCINI DUETS • PLÁCIDO DOMINGO

CDLX 7366 – CARLOS CHÁVEZ • THE FOUR SUNS & SELECTIONS FROM PIRÁMIDE/AARON COPLAND • APPALACHIAN SPRING

CDLX 7380 – STOKOWSKI CONDUCTS BEETHOVEN: SYMPHONY NO. 3 “EROICA”/STOKOWSKI CONDUCTS BRAHMS: ACADEMIC FESTIVAL OVERTURE

@steelydave @fredblue @JonUrban @Stephen W Tayler @GOS @ForagingRhino

My only request - if possible, please ask Mr. Dutton to use the all digital Sansui QS matrix encoder to matrix encode the discrete quadraphonic content for the (stereo) CD layer on the MCH SACDs DV produces.

In (probably most) cases, the stereo mixes of the MCH SACD albums that DV sells have been available for many years, providing a matrix quad encoded stereo CD layer would could help sales - "hear the quad mix with your stereo CD player (can also be decoded with various matrix quad decoders - DPL2 music etc.)"

Kirk Bayne

Well done! I'm impressed at how well-informed he is of all things going on with surround/immersive these days (Sony Japan, Rhino Quadio, Steven Wilson, Atmos Streaming, etc).

It's kind of a shame to hear they asked for the WEA catalog and didn't get it, as there are some great eclectic or lesser-known titles there (I'm thinking of stuff like Stardrive's Intergalatic Trot or the Graham Central Station & Spinners quads) that feel like a good fit for D-V and seem unlikely to appear as Quadios.

If you end up doing a 'part II', it'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on the way some of the older CBS quads were executed - like putting all the drums in one channel and bass in another. I've often wondered if SQ matrix compatibility was really the main concern (particularly with some of the earlier 'four-corner' titles) and the discrete quad mix was kind of treated as an afterthought.

It's also super cool that he actually picked up a Q8 machine and some tapes just to verify channel assignments, really shows the dedication to getting it right.

A REAL coup, Mike. Great interview with the MAN. Glad he checks into QQ forum from time to time to read feedback! And his judicious [if any] use of EQ in the remastering process is equally commendable unlike other engineers who apply more than is necessary. And what I admire most about MJD is his total honesty when releasing his QUAD SACDs as in master tapes couldn't be located and the fact he did the QUAD remaster himself either from an SQ master tape or remixed it himself.

Look forward to Part Deux, Mike ....but you both covered quite a bit of ground and also gratifying to hear he's amenable to newer technologies [like ATMOS] and recognizes the talents of fellow remix engineers Steve Wilson and Stephen W. Tayler ..among others.

And I suppose we have to be patient as to when the new batch of Pop/Rock/Jazz QUAD releases are forthcoming but he did mention a 'soul' title ...so something to really look forward to.

Last edited:
This is the first time I’ve heard anything directly from Dutton and I thoroughly enjoyed the interview. Thank you.

We really are in a good time in music where DV, SDE, Rhino (quadio) and Sony Japan are putting out surround material of great quality.

And as someone who is beyond frustrated waiting for Van Halen and Steely Dan SACDs that probably were announced way too early, I do like the “Announce it Today ... Buy it Today” philosophy of DV as opposed to “Announce it today... wait... wait... it’s coming on this date... no, it’s not... wait... crap, something happened that legal needs to sort out with the record company or artist... wait... wait... forgot I pre-ordered it and ordered another copy... wait... IT'S OUT!... credit card from pre-order out of date now and can’t be shipped yet...”

Yeah... thanks, Mr. Dutton.

The passion in Mike's voice shows how much he deeply cares about his life's work.
You can see he is a driven man with exceptional qualities in trying to achieve the ultimate sound.
His interest in higher definition, especially for orchestral recordings, sounds like it's a real game changer.
I wonder if has has an apprentice to help him to prolong his amazing ability to know what sounds right.
I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion Mike
And was sorry it ended when it did.
I felt he has a lot more to say about his past and future projects.
I also like his reference to some of today's mixing engineers who could improve their skills by getting back to basics and embracing quad music.

Where Mike Dutton leads, we follow with our open hearts.

Thanks for the great interview Mike! Glad someone was able to coax Mr. Dutton out of his mixing/mastering den for a chat!

A half hour is just a small taste; ready for a follow up please.

and thank you Mr. Dutton for the discount. I ended up saving about $13 US on these titles (y) -

Sub Total: £78.95
Discounts: £10.40
Shipping: £13.00
Grand Total: £81.55

MJD DISCOUNT ORDER 06-2-23.jpg

Thanks for the great interview Mike! Glad someone was able to coax Mr. Dutton out of his mixing/mastering den for a chat!

A half hour is just a small taste; ready for a follow up please.

and thank you Mr. Dutton for the discount. I ended up saving about $13 US on these titles (y) -

Sub Total: £78.95
Discounts: £10.40
Shipping: £13.00
Grand Total: £81.55

View attachment 92294
Fine choices, IMO. I picked up a couple of those, too!

That was a great interview. So nice to "meet" Michael. He is a class guy who clearly loves his work and it shows and we're so glad he does what he does. Think about all of those titles that would have been lost in the ether had he not pursued the Sony/RCA quad stuff.

It is sad that EMI/UK blocked his access to the WMG quad stuff when he first started. That would have been great, and even though we are now finally getting the Quadio program rebooted, it would have been nice to have the DV touch on those classic albums, and more than likely DV would have gone for some of the titles that may never see the light of day from Quadio - stuff like Stardrive and some of the Nonesuch classical's.

Super job Mike. So glad you made the 'Life in Surround' initiative and that you are now famous and wealthy!! (Or at least famous!) ;)
Your video's are always a must-watch for us quad guys

My only request - if possible, please ask Mr. Dutton to use the all digital Sansui QS matrix encoder to matrix encode the discrete quadraphonic content for the (stereo) CD layer on the MCH SACDs DV produces.

In (probably most) cases, the stereo mixes of the MCH SACD albums that DV sells have been available for many years, providing a matrix quad encoded stereo CD layer would could help sales - "hear the quad mix with your stereo CD player (can also be decoded with various matrix quad decoders - DPL2 music etc.)"

Kirk Bayne

I think most if not all of the CTI/KUDU SACD's do contain a matrix, as well as Herbie Hancock's Sextant.
And I notice a twofer of cds with James Last , one of which Voodoo , is supposed to be a stealth QS matrix encode.

Hahaha. The fact that he breifly talks about my mention of the Guess Who/American Woman channel assignment issue.... 😁
Just be aware that some of the Q8 tapes aren't correct. Hence why we wish to be like Sam Beckett and make right what once went wrong.
Well, Mr. D .... anytime you want to double check a channel assignment, my inbox is always open. A 4-channel oscilloscope is a VERY handy piece of kit for these occasions.
And for the record, I never meant to put anybody down or discount the work Mr. Dutton does. I want very much for this stuff to be preserved but I'm a stickler for correctness. Lest we forget, I'm the idiot that shelled out over $1000 dollars so his AMC Gremlin had the "correct" door panels. :ROFLMAO: I paid EXTRA to have the car painted in single-stage enamel so the paint LOOKED like it was factory paint. My grandfather always said to me: Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT.
I very much love and appreciate what Mr. D does, to the point that I've thrown my wallet at him multiple times. Keep it up!! But if you're ever in doubt on a channel assignment, it doesn't hurt to ask the audience or phone a friend.

My handle is Q8 for a reason:
Quad 8-track Collection July, 2020 002.JPG

Last edited:
your best Life In Surround episode yet edisonbaggins 💘 thank you 😍

what that man and his label have achieved over the last 7 years, quite modestly and with little fanfare, has been truly beyond my wildest dreams ❤️

again and again they delivered the goods with the most stunning Surround discs i've ever heard 👌💎❤️

if "all" DV had ever released on Quad SACD was Earth Wind & Fire, Poco and Chase i’d be over the moon!! 🌈🤩

but they also gave us fabulous sounding SACDs of Billy Paul, The O'Jays, Rick Derringer, Art Garfunkel, Harold Melvin, Weather Report, MFSB, Johnnie Taylor, Return To Forever, Blood Sweat & Tears, Burton Cummings, The Hues Corporation, Tomita, Ted Nugent, The Miracles, Mac Davis, The Raiders, Pure Prairie League, Donald Byrd, Tower Of Power, The Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Argent, George Benson, Airto, Deodato, Azteca, Hugo Montenegro, Percy Faith, Mott The Hoople, Charlie Rich, REO Speedwagon, Jimmy Castor, Lynn Anderson, B.W. Stevenson, Santana & Buddy Miles, Alice Coltrane & Santana, The Main Ingredient, The Friends Of Distinction, Ronnie Milsap, Ray Davies & The Button Down Brass, Grover Washington Jr., Cecil Holmes, Paul Mauriat, Michel Legrand, The Swingle Singers, Kris Kristofferson, Helen Reddy, Perry Como, Chet Atkins, Doc Severinsen, Dottie West, Floyd Cramer, Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass, Don Sebesky, Henry Mancini, Ray Conniff, Herbie Hancock.. the list of Quad gems goes on and on..!! 🤯🥰

it was lovely he gave a shout out to steelydave in particular, to whom the latter-day Quad revival thru DV owes a huge debt of gratitude 💝

my only request.. please do a follow up interview soon!!? 🙏🤞

Last edited:
Mr. Dutton has graciously offered a 20% coupon on select Quad SACD titles. Details below and given during the talk.

Enjoy and please support Mr. Dutton with some views, likes, comments, and especially some album purchases.
I look forward to reading and hearing about all the happy listening that will ensue!
Sometimes it's hard to just sit down and listen to a 30 minute YouTube video. But not in this case. Sure, you lost me with the more modern tech stuff - I don't understand most of it and I'm too lazy to learn - but I loved hearing how his SACD program came to be, how it all works at DV, what goes into his decision making as to what albums to choose and what he's got in store for the future. It was also nice to put a face to a name and hear his theories on mastering. Thank you @edisonbaggins aka Mike!

---

20% Discount Code: LifeInSurround

For the titles below.
Expires 17 days from today.

---

Link For Charles Gerhardt Picture book to Lost Horzions Disc Cat no CDLK4608

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/charles-gerhardt-classic-film-scores-pictorial-tribute/id1477587833
There is the Waxman and the Hermann as well, very good surround !

---

CDLK 4572 – FLOYD CRAMER • CLASS OF ‘73, ‘74 & ‘75

CDLK 4577 – FLOYD CRAMER • SUPER COUNTRY HITS & THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

CDLK 4590 – MIKLÓS RÓZSA • RÓZSA CONDUCTS RÓZSA

CDLK 4594 – ANDRE KOSTELANETZ PLAYS MUSIC OF VILLA-LOBOS & CONDUCTS MUSIC FROM SPAIN

CDLK 4597 – DANNY DAVIS & THE NASHVILLE BRASS • TRAVELIN’ & CARIBBEAN CRUISE

CDLK 4599 – PERCY FAITH • CHINATOWN & LOVE THEME FROM ROMEO AND JULIET

CDLK 4603 – HENRY MANCINI • MANCINI COUNTRY & COUNTRY GENTLEMAN

CDLK 4615 – RAY CONNIFF • THEME FROM S.W.A.T. & SEND IN THE CLOWNS

CDLK 4617 – RONNIE MILSAP • PURE LOVE & A LEGEND IN MY TIME

CDLK 4622 – DOTTIE WEST • HOUSE OF LOVE & IF IT’S ALL RIGHT WITH YOU ...

CDLK 4641 – DAVID RAKSIN CONDUCTS HIS GREAT FILM SCORES

CDLK 4645 – NO, NO, NANETTE – THE NEW 1925 MUSICAL • NEW BROADWAY CAST

CDSML 8518 – HUGO MONTENEGRO • OTHERS BY BROTHERS & SCENES AND THEMES

CDSML 8524 – THE MAIN INGREDIENT • EUPHRATES RIVER

CDSML 8525 – HUGO MONTENEGRO • HUGO IN WONDER-LAND & NEIL’S DIAMONDS

CDSML 8546 – BILLY PAUL • LIVE IN EUROPE

CDSML 8552 – DR. TELENY’S INCREDIBLE PLUGGED-IN ORCHESTRA • STOLEN GOODS/ETTORE STRATTA & THE BAROQUE POPS • VIVA VIVALDI!

CDSML 8553 – HENRY MANCINI • HANGIN’ OUT WITH HENRY MANCINI & THEME FROM “Z”

CDSML 8569 – THE MIRACLES • LOVE CRAZY & THE MIRACLES

2CDLX 7365 – LA BOHÈME • VERDI & PUCCINI DUETS • PLÁCIDO DOMINGO

CDLX 7366 – CARLOS CHÁVEZ • THE FOUR SUNS & SELECTIONS FROM PIRÁMIDE/AARON COPLAND • APPALACHIAN SPRING

CDLX 7380 – STOKOWSKI CONDUCTS BEETHOVEN: SYMPHONY NO. 3 “EROICA”/STOKOWSKI CONDUCTS BRAHMS: ACADEMIC FESTIVAL OVERTURE

@steelydave @fredblue @JonUrban @Stephen W Tayler @GOS @ForagingRhino

That was simply incredible! Big score, getting Mike Dutton!!

Hahaha. The fact that he breifly talks about my mention of the Guess Who/American Woman channel assignment issue.... 😁

Somehow we all knew you were going to bring this up, Q-Eight. :ROFLMAO: It's easily fixed by those of us who know how to rip a SACD and use a DAW. I have both versions. I'm just happy that DV gave us ALL of the Guess Who quads because much of the material I had never heard before but really like.

Lest we forget, I'm the idiot that shelled out over $1000 dollars so his AMC Gremlin had the "correct" door panels. :ROFLMAO: I paid EXTRA to have the car painted in single-stage enamel so the paint LOOKED like it was factory paint. My grandfather always said to me: Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT.
Idiot? I prefer to call it artistic brilliance. For his graduation, a high school buddy got a purple Gremlin with white seats. Wild!

Back