Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just discovered the Stones' "Honk" compilation. Sampled a few tracks and they kinda sound meh. From what I could find in this thread, the whole of the compilation isn't really anything to go crazy about?

Also, somebody must have stumbled and accidentally dropped "Satisfaction" while compiling this. I mean, I get it, it's just a minor album track, but still...
May be it was when someone realised they'd done dire Atmos mixes, so removed it, as ..... "I can't get no.... satisfaction" :rolleyes:🤪

Has anyone heard really bad distortion in some Apple Music ATMOS titles? Listening to the Rolling Stones Honk and found 2 of the 4 tracks I listened to were badly distorting in the right front channel. Earlier in the weekend I found this happening in another recording, can’t remember the title right now.

No problems like this with other ATMOS recordings? What’s going on?

Has anyone heard really bad distortion in some Apple Music ATMOS titles? Listening to the Rolling Stones Honk and found 2 of the 4 tracks I listened to were badly distorting in the right front channel. Earlier in the weekend I found this happening in another recording, can’t remember the title right now.

No problems like this with other ATMOS recordings? What’s going on?
I experienced this last week with a Rush song I have in a surround playlist. It was YYZ and I was hearing distortion in my rear speakers. But it’s not there now. I thought it was, perhaps, a wiring issue as I had just put in my new receiver. But I wasn’t hearing it on other songs.

Don’t know if my situation is related to yours, but I definitely experienced some distortion in one streaming song last week.

I posted about this on the Apple 4K tips thread a few months ago. I would get distortion when going from album to album too quickly, and I assumed it was a synching problem due to my browsing and playing a few bars then moving on. Hasn't happened in awhile for me, though.

Heres an odd one: indie classic Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming by M83 is showing up as Atmos… for some users. It’s definitely not showing up for me.

Here’s a direct link to the album:

The interesting wrinkle is the band seems to be teasing new music on the 10th… I wonder if they are going to be the “Featured Artist” on that day, and somehow it released in a region early. They did do the music for the Tom Cruise movie Oblivion, which did get an Atmos mix for its 4K re-release (7.1 on its original bluray release), so presumably they have experience with Multichannel Mixing, or at least providing materials for mixers

Heres an odd one: indie classic Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming by M83 is showing up as Atmos… for some users. It’s definitely not showing up for me.

Here’s a direct link to the album:

The interesting wrinkle is the band seems to be teasing new music on the 10th… I wonder if they are going to be the “Featured Artist” on that day, and somehow it released in a region early. They did do the music for the Tom Cruise movie Oblivion, which did get an Atmos mix for its 4K re-release (7.1 on its original bluray release), so presumably they have experience with Multichannel Mixing, or at least providing materials for mixers

Okay, I'm excited now. Get this on Tidal!

This has featured on plenty of end-of-year best lists (The Overload - Year-End Lists), I like the album (if you like Idles or even The Fall, you'll probably like this) and I like the Atmos mix though it's not the most discrete. Yard Act - The Overload.

A good example is the unison group vocals in the rears in Dead Horse, in fact unison group vocals in a few tracks.

Last edited:
This has featured on plenty of end-of-year best lists (The Overload - Year-End Lists), I like the album (if you like Idles or even The Fall, you'll probably like this) and I like the Atmos mix though it's not the most discrete. Yard Act - The Overload.

A good example is the unison group vocals in the rears in Dead Horse, in fact unison group vocals in a few tracks.

yes, I do like IDLES, and I do remember this being posted before in this thread. Cool album

In the New York Times, jazz critic Giovanni Russonello opines on the Best Jazz Albums of 2022. Several of the titles on his list have Atmos mixes on the streaming services (off the top of my head, I think I can remember: Cécile McLorin Salvant, Immanuel Wilkins, Samara Joy, Moor Mother, and Makaya McCraven). Some of those mixes may be tame or, depending upon your ears and your point of view, worse, but at least somebody at their respective labels thought they deserved the Atmos name!
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/30/arts/music/best-jazz-albums.html(Here's a "gifted" version of the list for non-subscribers who have exceeded their monthly allotment of free articles. There's also a separate critics' list of best pop albums that includes Beyoncé, Sudan Archives, and Björk, among others with online Atmos mixes.)
Listening again to Samara Joy's Linger Awhile on Verve. It's a real throwback album: Joy's voice doesn't have the huskiness of Dinah Washington or Sarah Vaughan--Nancy Wilson is maybe the more obvious point of reference--but she's got elements of their style(s), and the whole production has a lush, late-50s/early 60s feel.

As for the mix: the "Info" button on my Marantz says all 5.1.4 channels are getting a signal, but as far as I can tell this is a really well-balanced 4.0 mix, with vocals & rhythm section in the fronts and chordal instruments (piano or guitar) and, on a couple of tracks, horns, in the rears.

This was from the Best-of-22 list shared earlier in this thread. I don’t often listen to vocal albums in jazz, so I hadn’t heard of her.

A number of quirky bits (to me at least) in her songs that kept my attention and stands it apart from what I think of when I think of a traditional jazz-vocal album.

As for Atmos, it has it’s moments here and there.

Very enjoyable.

The Christopher Cross S/T album on Apple music that had a Dolby Atmos version of Sailing has been replaced (new 2023 copyright date) and songs added from the album before are now listed as "No Longer Available'. Couldn't find an Atmos version of Sailing on any comps so I guess it is removed.

Should I get Tidal or Apple?
Apple for me as it has more titles available and does not have a problem with volume levels with Atmos tracks versus non Atmos tracks. Plus Apple is easier than Tidal in allowing Atmos tracks to play in 5.1 if you don’t have an Atmos receiver. (I’m assuming those issues still exist with Tidal as I have not had Tidal for a long time.)

Apple for me as it has more titles available and does not have a problem with volume levels with Atmos tracks versus non Atmos tracks. Plus Apple is easier than Tidal in allowing Atmos tracks to play in 5.1 if you don’t have an Atmos receiver. (I’m assuming those issues still exist with Tidal as I have not had Tidal for a long time.)
Yeah those issues still exist.

Yeah those issues still exist.
Fortunately, now when you listen to an Atmos album in Tidal, at the end of selection Tidal stops playing. Will have to review if there is any setting for that.

In the beginning, the Tidal App will continue with other "suggested" tracks, that are inevitable non-Atmos and the high volume level set was too high for the stereo tracks, thus bumping from your seat.

I have only Tidal, as an early subscriber before Apple started Atmos. Now I continue with it, because Apple would be somehow redundant for Atmos and I'm not an Apple Guy. Some Atmos titles exist in Apple and not in Tidal. Also fewer in Tidal and not in Apple. I don't have any statistics for that, but it all depends if you like the music style of the missing ones.

At the end, If you're an Apple Guy, have an Apple TV, even have video Apple TV streaming subscription, the decision would be immediate. If not, and you start with all this, a Fire TV stick is the cheaper device (for Tidal, and no for Apple, I think) and you could start a trial on Tidal. Then Tidal is a little expensive, but the amount it's just only like "paying some beers with the friends", I said to me ;)

Fortunately, now when you listen to an Atmos album in Tidal, at the end of selection Tidal stops playing. Will have to review if there is any setting for that.

In the beginning, the Tidal App will continue with other "suggested" tracks, that are inevitable non-Atmos and the high volume level set was too high for the stereo tracks, thus bumping from your seat.

I have only Tidal, as an early subscriber before Apple started Atmos. Now I continue with it, because Apple would be somehow redundant for Atmos and I'm not an Apple Guy. Some Atmos titles exist in Apple and not in Tidal. Also fewer in Tidal and not in Apple. I don't have any statistics for that, but it all depends if you like the music style of the missing ones.

At the end, If you're an Apple Guy, have an Apple TV, even have video Apple TV streaming subscription, the decision would be immediate. If not, and you start with all this, a Fire TV stick is the cheaper device (for Tidal, and no for Apple, I think) and you could start a trial on Tidal. Then Tidal is a little expensive, but the amount it's just only like "paying some beers with the friends", I said to me ;)
Yeah you can turn autoplay on or off. Settings > Streaming > Playback > Autoplay. At least on the web app, I currently have it open on my PC. :)

Back