U2 - Achtung Baby (Atmos), digital release date Jan 26, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendel13G

I just received an email from the U2 fan club that an Atmos mix of Achtung Baby is being released on Jan 26, 2024!

Relevant email bits:

~~~

Why not join us at Zoo TV Cinema on Thursday at 4pm for an exclusive first listen of the newly remastered Achtung Baby, remixed in Dolby Atmos®.

Developed over 17 months across 5 studios worldwide, this is the first major U2 album to be released in Dolby Atmos®.

Presented with remarks from Award-Winning Recording Engineer, Chris Jenkins.

This is your chance to be the first to listen to Achtung Baby in spatial audio before digital release on January 26.

~~~

I'm worried that the reference to its 'digital release' means that it will be streaming-only (e.g. Apple, Tidal), but nonetheless this is FANTASTIC news, as Achtung Baby has been at the top of my surround wish-list for a long, long time. :QQlove

Ooh, you beat me to it! By one minute! Weirdly, I AM going to be in Vegas this weekend to see U2 (well, U2 minus 1) at the Sphere, but I'm going to be there with my family and won't drag them along to this and risk tainting my existing "win". :LOL:

On the Sphere note too, I feel like with all of the money invested in the custom visuals for the U2 run, they've GOT to film it at least once, even though it won't be the same as being there. The interesting question there is, would they actually film something for a potential release, at this stage of their career while Larry is maybe limited but certainly still in the band, without Larry on the drums? He didn't do the residency but he's been in and out of town for at least one appearance, and he did play on the Atomic City single. Will he be there on Saturday night and surprise us all on the kit? I doubt it, but... what if?

I just received an email from the U2 fan club that an Atmos mix of Achtung Baby is being released on Jan 26, 2024!

Relevant email bits:

~~~

Why not join us at Zoo TV Cinema on Thursday at 4pm for an exclusive first listen of the newly remastered Achtung Baby, remixed in Dolby Atmos®.

Developed over 17 months across 5 studios worldwide, this is the first major U2 album to be released in Dolby Atmos®.

Presented with remarks from Award-Winning Recording Engineer, Chris Jenkins.

This is your chance to be the first to listen to Achtung Baby in spatial audio before digital release on January 26.

~~~

I'm worried that the reference to its 'digital release' means that it will be streaming-only (e.g. Apple, Tidal), but nonetheless this is FANTASTIC news, as Achtung Baby has been at the top of my surround wish-list for a long, long time. :QQlove

Is there any word on a physical release?

Thanks for the news, but yeah, it seems that means a streaming-only release like The Beatles Revolver fiasco (IMO) 😬

Streaming will have to do for now I guess 🤞

Thanks for the news, but yeah, it seems that means a streaming-only release like The Beatles Revolver fiasco (IMO) 😬

Streaming will have to do for now I guess 🤞
From what I remember a lot of the early albums were recorded at low tape speeds so they would jam, try different things, without having to change the tape. Auchtung Baby wasn't so really needs a lossless release.

From what I remember a lot of the early albums were recorded at low tape speeds so they would jam, try different things, without having to change the tape. Auchtung Baby wasn't so really needs a lossless release.
Interesting though that per the OP it was:
"Developed over 17 months across 5 studios worldwide"

Interesting though that per the OP it was:
"Developed over 17 months across 5 studios worldwide"

Bono probably rejected all the Atmos mixes until one sounded like the original stereo mix, with nothing discrete just Fronts repeated in all 5.1.4 channels. I hope not!

Given the remarkable success of the recent Talking Heads Stop Making Sense 4K/Atmos concert to digital theatres, I’m surprised more artists like U2 don’t release old concerts with remastered video and Atmos remixed audio. There is a huge fan base just waiting to attend and re-live those events, especially fans that can’t reproduce the original volume and dynamics at home.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...-imax-highest-grossing-live-event-1235720971/

On the Sphere note too, I feel like with all of the money invested in the custom visuals for the U2 run, they've GOT to film it at least once, even though it won't be the same as being there. The interesting question there is, would they actually film something for a potential release, at this stage of their career while Larry is maybe limited but certainly still in the band, without Larry on the drums? He didn't do the residency but he's been in and out of town for at least one appearance, and he did play on the Atomic City single. Will he be there on Saturday night and surprise us all on the kit? I doubt it, but... what if?
Looking at this snippet that they put up yesterday, it would indeed be a shame if they did not release it in one way or another. Maybe in combination with a remastered/restored re-issue of the ZooTV show in Sidney? They would make a ton of money - again.
That said, I have always wondered why they didn't release anything from the Joshua Tree 2017/2019 tour.

I’m also hoping that Achtung Baby is not an Apple Music exclusive title given the band’s business relationship history with Apple.

This is my fear, as well.

Piggybacking off a couple of other comments:

Once the Sphere run is over, it seems like a no-brainer to release a physical box set with the Atmos mix, a concert film, and the book with the Sphere visuals (which I wanted to get but is ridiculously expensive). Brace yourself for the pricing on such a thing, but they have so much fantastic material that if they do it right, it would be one of the only overpriced box sets I wouldn't mind buying.

This is my fear, as well.

Piggybacking off a couple of other comments:

Once the Sphere run is over, it seems like a no-brainer to release a physical box set with the Atmos mix, a concert film, and the book with the Sphere visuals (which I wanted to get but is ridiculously expensive). Brace yourself for the pricing on such a thing, but they have so much fantastic material that if they do it right, it would be one of the only overpriced box sets I wouldn't mind buying.
Don’t forget a pair of Bono’s glasses, as was the case with the Uber Deluxe 20th Anniversary Achtung Baby set.

Back