2022 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered from Mascot Records :)

So here we have an artist with a reasonable following, on a small record label, who can release a 5xCD & 5.1 DVD (with a good surround mix) and a 56 page Artbook (which will be well done) for £54.99, and all we get from The Beatles/UMG is a 5xCD mega-buck box of Revolver. What a strange world we live in!

Ordered from Mascot Records :)

So here we have an artist with a reasonable following, on a small record label, who can release a 5xCD & 5.1 DVD (with a good surround mix) and a 56 page Artbook (which will be well done) for £54.99, and all we get from The Beatles/UMG is a 5xCD mega-buck box of Revolver. What a strange world we live in!
I might add that this is essentialy a double album (20 songs) and that these artbook editions by AL tend to go out of print preeetty soon.

Just saw this over at Burning Shed:
https://burningshed.com/formats/for...-brufords-earthworks_footloose-in-nyc_2cd_dvd
Expanding upon the success of the UK live recording of Footloose And Fancy Free, Bill Bruford’s Earthworks documented its return to New York City on Footloose In NYC.

A 2CD/DVD set with almost two hours of concert footage from the Bottom Line, up close and personal, in 5.1 surround sound. Includes 20 minutes of backstage footage plus interviews, biographies and discographies

Yet another missed opportunity. The 5.1 version of the song Sail On Sailor on the Silverline DVD-A is pretty good.
Actually that Silverline MLP DVD~A 5.1 of the BB's SAIL ON SAILOR is very discrete and sounds MARVELOUS!
Primary

NativeDSD published an interview today with Jane Ira Bloom, Ulrike Schwarz, and Jim Anderson about Bloom's new album of duets, Picturing the Invisible, recorded remotely during the pandemic and available exclusively (for now) at NativeDSD. Given the circumstances of its recording and the spareness of the instrumentation, there won't be multi-channel pyrotechnics. (That's not the Anderson-Schwarz style anyway.) But it's bound to sound good, and the recording posed some really interesting challenges.
https://www.nativedsd.com/recording...latest-album-picturing-the-invisible-focus-1/
I bumped into another(?) article about this recording.
https://blog.roonlabs.com/recording-picturing-the-invisible-focus-1/which I had forgotten is in atmos on Apple Music

I’m going to ask what I hope isn’t a stupid question. It’s puzzled me for a long time when I was a lurker on this forum.

When the front page list of upcoming releases is changed with new info, is there any easy way to know what the info is that was changed or added?

I can see from the edit date that something has changed, but I’ve never cracked the code to figuring out what has changed. For the most part, checking it almost every day, I can kind of figure it out. But am I working harder than I need to on this?

When the front page list of upcoming releases is changed with new info, is there any easy way to know what the info is that was changed or added?
That’s actually an excellent question, thanks - maybe I’m too deep in this list, checking (and adjusting) it on daily basis.

Let’s see what happens if I now mention every release that is added further in the thread. I believe it’s easy to have your notifications alert you via email then.

Last edited:
OK, here’s a classical release that I’m rather reluctant to include in the list, but it’s hardly not worth mentioning:

The mail order company jpc.de is offering an exclusive 4CD+BD-A set with Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D for 9.99 EUR.

"Charming Cello" consists of compositions by Ravel, Tchaikovsky and Schuman, among others, recorded by the WDR Symphony Orchestra Cologne and the Orchestra Academy of the Bavarian State Orchestra.
1668502991760.png

Pre-order link is below, release date is December 5th.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/charming-cello/hnum/11093055

That’s actually an excellent question, thanks - maybe I’m too deep in this list, checking (and adjusting) it on daily basis.

Let’s see what happens if I now mention every release that is added further in the thread. I believe it’s easy to have your notifications alert you via email then.
Thank you! This thread has always been a favorite since I was here as a lurker. Now subscribed so I’ll see updates. Appreciate it!

#6.5 in the SDE BD-A series is V. A. - Concert for George, with Atmos mix by Paul Hicks. Added to the list in post #1.5.

Thank you for posting this!

This is every kind of tempting. Every year or so I rewatch this on Blu-ray and each year I get choked up. I only listen to a handful of tracks on the CD and have considered ripping the Blu-ray to lossless ALAC for a long time.

My biggest temptation may just be wanting to support these sorts of projects. This would be only my second purchase. $36 shipped is reasonable. Since I assume it’s safe to hold off a few days I’m going to re-listen on Apple Music (fully aware how the service falls short of disc quality) because I didn’t listen closely to the new ATMOS mix.

If it sells out before I decide I’ll be glad for their success. I don’t suffer much “FOMO” and will get by with the 5.1 which I’ve enjoyed for almost a decade now.

Back