SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strangely, Sono Luminus doesn't seem to have jumped on the Apple/Atmos bandwagon--which is kind of a shame, as it might get Daniel Shores's amazing mixes some well-deserved exposure.
After some sampling of this music, I think I'll pass on it, just not connecting with it; but thanks for the heads-up on it.

FYI
I saw this production at Lincoln Center, and later without Raul Julia in Central Park; I have the lp and a dts I decoded from Oxford Dickie's final script, which he sent me and I don't think he ever made public. This was, I have read, the one of the last, if not the last, original cast recording to be released in quad by Columbia Records. By this time they had got their act together and there is a lot separation in the orchestral parts, but I seem to recall that the musicians were somewhat separated in performance. I got the cd version when it came out. I had hoped it was the sq mix (as this was only released in quad) but it had been remixed for stereo and not that well, the sound was compressed compared to the original lp version; but it did have one added track which I note is also included on the new sacd version, which I have ordered. As for Raul Julia being a singer, according to Wynn Handman, the renowned acting teacher, with whom RJ studied when he first came to NY from Puerto Rico (with a thick accent, according to Wynn), he considered himself a singer then--that at least is my recollection of what Wynn said.
I just got this sacd today, compared to the dts sq I had been listening to, no comparison, sound open and clear. This mix always had a strong rear presence which is even more definite now and there's a nice booklet with some color photos as well. Can recommend to anyone who likes this music.

Another Beethoven cycle--Chailly's--in ("big-ambience") Atmos. Not sure how this one is regarded? I'll probably stick to Barenboim's.
The bits I've heard are good performances. The attraction is the fast tempos following Beethoven's metronome marks. Of course, most cycles are well-played and there's nothing disqualifying about Barenboim if you enjoy the recorded sound.

Looks like it. Maybe they'll eventually offer the entire cycle on one Blu-Ray (as they did with the previous remastering)--with or without the Atmos mixes--once they've made their money on the individual operas and/or yet another big box set.
As of right now, it seems the cheapest way into the Solti Atmos disc is the Gotterdammerung SACD Bundle, which at only $28 more than the Götterdämmerung 4xSACDQuadruple CD Album and the Bundle includes a book, slipcase, and prints not mentioned in the Album, so the Bundle sounds like a decent deal.

I'm not into classical but I know the big hits that most know if they hear it like 1812 overture. Is there something like a greatest hits of classical hits in surround like a SACD?
Sure. I stumble on them regularly but I found that I cannot locate any in a search. Sorry.

I'm not into classical but I know the big hits that most know if they hear it like 1812 overture. Is there something like a greatest hits of classical hits in surround like a SACD?
You could do worse than the various Telarc Samplers. I haven't heard them, but Telarc has a reputation for being well-recorded.

Look for in-print or cheap used copies. Please don't pay collector prices on my recommendation!

Nothing in particular, although Tchaikovsky is pretty accesible (nice melodies). Certainly pieces like “Nutcracker” and Piano Concerto #1 are quite popular. Holst’s “The Planets” has pieces you may find familiar and enjoyable.

I hope I’ve helped open the door to a wonderful new set of experiences.

Jordi Savall has just completed his Beethoven Symphony Cycle and it has likewise been well received:

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=14355#related
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=15217
Yup. My reactions to them were not equal. I have become addicted to the first volume (Symphonies 1-5) but found the second volume (Symphonies 6-9) much less impressive. Good but not outstanding. The differences, imho, can be traced to the very different circumstances of the times they were recorded (pre-Pandemic vs. mid-Pandemic) and the more appropriate match of instrumental forces to the earlier works. FWIW.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/records-2-live-4-2023

Normally on Fridays I go to the iTunes store and see what’s new or coming soon in a couple of categories, including Classical.

Admittedly, it was the cover that caught my attention. But listening this morning, it’s an enjoyable album to go along with the interesting cover.

Last edited:
1675806683132.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/07/arts/music/new-york-philharmonic-gustavo-dudamel.html

He's associated with a number of pioneering Atmos mixes of live performance recordings with the LA Phil. Maybe he's an advocate? If so, his appointment could herald a new era of immersive recordings by the NYPO.

Back