How often is stuff reprinted?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatofcar

I'm new to the surround scene, but I love it. What I don't love are the prices on the secondhand market! For those of you who have been around for a while, how often do recordings come back in print? I'm thinking specificially of SACDs--the Steely Dan catalog, Avalon...do I have a prayer of these coming back into stock?

I'm new to the surround scene, but I love it. What I don't love are the prices on the secondhand market! For those of you who have been around for a while, how often do recordings come back in print? I'm thinking specificially of SACDs--the Steely Dan catalog, Avalon...do I have a prayer of these coming back into stock?
First of all, welcome to the world of surround music! I think lately there has been some more efforts to reprint these older SACD titles via a couple labels (analogue productions, sony japan etc.) but I think it tends to only happen with more popular well known titles that have a lot of demand (such as Toto's IV, or Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here for example). As far as those more popular titles go, you really never know what's going to get reprinted. I wouldn't really hold my breath for the Steely Dan 5.1 stuff and Avalon being reprinted as they have both had recent stereo only SACD reissues that could've both easily had a 5.1 mix on them but had it omitted for whatever reason.

I saw that-I was so excited to get an email from Acoustic Sounds saying there were Steely Dan reissues, but only in stereo 😕 Why not 5.1???
Honestly not sure. Could be a million different reasons. From what I know about Analogue Productions though, I'm sure they tried to get it on there. Was likely out of their hands.

And thank you for your welcome 🙂
No problem! It's a hobby that's truly a journey, and something I always enjoy to hear others getting into as well.

Also wanted to mention that while we do slowly get physical reissues of albums in surround, sometimes older 5.1 mixes can pop up on Apple Music in "Dolby Audio" which is basically just dolby digital 5.1 and can be streamed from either a Mac or Apple TV plugged into a surround/immersive audio system.

Oh, cool! So there are 5.1 mixes on Apple Music that don’t require an Atmos-capable receiver?
Yep! In fact, even the Dolby Atmos mixed stuff is backwards compatible with 5.1 and 7.1. Dolby Atmos files are just typical TrueHD or eac3 files with Dolby Atmos metadata attached. All of these files have a "core" stream with either a 5.1 downmix (in the case of eac3) or a 7.1 downmix (in the case of TrueHD). Older recievers/decoders that aren't compatible with Atmos will just ignore the Dolby Atmos metadata and will play the core stream.

Yep! In fact, even the Dolby Atmos mixed stuff is backwards compatible with 5.1 and 7.1. Dolby Atmos files are just typical TrueHD or eac3 files with Dolby Atmos metadata attached. All of these files have a "core" stream with either a 5.1 downmix (in the case of eac3) or a 7.1 downmix (in the case of TrueHD).
So if I just have a normal 5.1 system if I get an Apple TV Atmos mixes will fold down into 5.1?

Oh, cool! So there are 5.1 mixes on Apple Music that don’t require an Atmos-capable receiver?
Yes, an mentioned above you can play all the multichannel content on Apple Music without an Atmos-capable receiver - even the new Atmos mixes will fold-down to 5.1 with older gear, though some translate better than others in this regard.

There are also a number of dedicated 5.1 mixes (most of which were originally released on SACD in early-2000s) and 1970s-era quadraphonic mixes available on there in the "Dolby Audio" format rather than Atmos. It's a very welcome development as some of these titles (Blue Oyster Cult's Agents Of Fortune, Keb Mo's Just Like You, Isley Brothers' 3+3, etc) are next-to-impossible to find on disc nowadays. More info in the thread below:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ming-on-apple-music-in-5-1-dolby-audio.31315/

Welcome Mr. Boat.
My sister lives one state over from you in Virginia.
It will be a rough haul trying to get the older surround discs. Way too expensive.
You will be very happy with a Apple4K box and stream Atmos music in 5.1 as others have said, it will be a lesser quality than a hard disc if your going Apples to Apples, but still good, most of the time.

Many older SACD stereo out of print is now being re-released stereo MQA, which is very good, but you do need a capable MQA player.
I love quality stereo, listen all the time, better than shitty surround, which has it's bad moments also.

Too be honest, this year, between new surround releases and streaming surround music it is an effort for me to keep up. I am almost at the point of overload this year, have never felt this way before.

I know this to be true with others as they have piles of not listened to music.

You will see members on QQ selling off some of there collection as they have ripped the music and saved for themselves and don't need the hard disc anymore, lots of good deals occasionally on QQ.

I’ve got an STR-DH740, which I guess is a little too old for Atmos (but still sounds great to me). It looks like the Apple TV thing is the way to go-I can get one for the same price as a couple of the 5.1 discs I’m after, and I can just cross my fingers those mixes will show up on Apple Music!

Welcome Mr. Boat.
My sister lives one state over from you in Virginia.
It will be a rough haul trying to get the older surround discs. Way too expensive.
You will be very happy with a Apple4K box and stream Atmos music in 5.1 as others have said, it will be a lesser quality than a hard disc if your going Apples to Apples, but still good, most of the time.

Many older SACD stereo out of print is now being re-released stereo MQA, which is very good, but you do need a capable MQA player.
I love quality stereo, listen all the time, better than shitty surround, which has it's bad moments also.

Too be honest, this year, between new surround releases and streaming surround music it is an effort for me to keep up. I am almost at the point of overload this year, have never felt this way before.

I know this to be true with others as they have piles of not listened to music.

You will see members on QQ selling off some of there collection as they have ripped the music and saved for themselves and don't need the hard disc anymore, lots of good deals occasionally on QQ.
Yeah, I’ve been scouring the FS forum here for deals-I don’t think I have it in me to get a MQA player.

Some stuff never gets reprinted - or even printed in a new format. There are some movies I had in VHS (lost all of my VHS to weather damage) that have either never been issued in DVD or are available only in a foreign region (usually 2 or 4). And many of my favorite records have never been issued on CD.

Yeah, I’ve been scouring the FS forum here for deals-I don’t think I have it in me to get a MQA player.
If you have patients, I believe prices may begin falling in the future.
Before if you didn't have the disc you were screwed to hear the content.
Now with Apple streaming much of it, the absolute need to pay the big bucks is gone.
Time will tell.

Back