Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found Alice In Chains Facelift and Dirt in Atmos. Pretty sure this is brand new?

I'm quite late to the party (by some 30 years I guess 😅 ) but only first listened to the album this week.
This thing rocks! Not sure how I missed it all this time, but it's an instant favourite.

Doesn't hurt it's one of the best surround mixed I've heard- everything falls into place so organically, there's not one moment where I'm taken out of the music by dubious placement choices.
At the same time there's so much stuff going on all the time, it's just pure fun (if you ignore the general sentiment of the lyrics, that is)!

Last edited:
I'm quite late to the party (by some 30 years I guess 😅 ) but only first listened to the album this week.
This thing rocks! Not sure how I missed it all this time, but it's an instant favourite.

Doesn't hurt it's one of the best surround mixed I've heard- everything falls into place so organically, there's not one moment where I'm taken out of the music by dubious placement choices.
At the same time there's so much stuff going on all the time, it's just pure fun (if you ignore the general sentiment of the lyrics, that is)!
Try this one as well then:

At one point, Alice In Chains were my second favorite band. Dirt is one of my all time favorite albums. One of the best albums of the 90s. I greatly enjoyed the Atmos mix on my home theater system. However, I could not deal with the Atmos mix on headphones. It sounded too different. One of Layne's vocals was buried under a guitar that was too loud and I had to turn it off! But on the system it sounded great...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.53.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.53.20 AM.png
    723.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice! Sounds like Clearmountain's work, with heavy use of the center for drums/bass/lead vocal and mostly ambience in the heights. What's cool is that a lot of the elements that were in the rear speakers on the old 5.1 mix (big drum reverbs, guitar delays, synths, organ, etc) are now divided among the side & surround back speakers in 7.1.x with many of the synth parts appearing discretely in the sides.

Nice! Sounds like Clearmountain's work, with heavy use of the center for drums/bass/lead vocal and mostly ambience in the heights. What's cool is that a lot of the elements that were in the rear speakers on the old 5.1 mix (big drum reverbs, guitar delays, synths, organ, etc) are now divided among the side & surround back speakers in 7.1.x with many of the synth parts appearing discretely in the sides.
Absolutely, all I could come up with is I liked the Atmos version much better, more alive, not so flat.

Back