FLAC file properties question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm amused how we all invent the wheel differently. I name my folders to make the source as clear as possible... for equivalent example:

2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 2.0 bluray release)
2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 5.1 bluray release)

In this case it looks like I included the stereo extras in the main stereo folder; and did not convert the instruments...
Sometimes long folder names don’t fully display on the media player’s screen. I believe my Oppo does the best job, but it has limitations that would cut off anything past about 20 characters. I’ll have to vheck on that limit, but it’s around there.

Sometimes long folder names don’t fully display on the media player’s screen. I believe my Oppo does the best job, but it has limitations that would cut off anything past about 20 characters. I’ll have to vheck on that limit, but it’s around there.
Personally, I've not seen any issues with my OPPO player. But the Android app does have a habit of cutting the files names off...

I'm amused how we all invent the wheel differently. I name my folders to make the source as clear as possible... for equivalent example:

2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 2.0 bluray release)
2015 Hand. Cannot. Erase. (LPCM 24bit 96kHz 5.1 bluray release)

In this case it looks like I included the stereo extras in the main stereo folder; and did not convert the instruments...
I considered placing the details in the folder names, but due to file/folder name limitations, decided not to do that. Thus, different from the tags as described above, I did the following:

- Wilson, Steven
- - (2015) Hand. Cannot. Erase. [BD]
- - - 2.0 [Album]
- - - 2.0 [Extras]
- - - 2.0 [Instrumentals]
- - - 5.1 [Album]
"-" Represent folder level.
I also prefer a shorter list of folders to scroll through, and then have subfolders within them. Thus my root music folder only has artists names, and then within each artist name is all of their releases by year, and then in each of the releases is the sub-folders of the various titles / formats. I also know of another member who starts with the alphabet character, and goes from there.

Tagged and organized with players like jRiver, Kodi, Foobar2000 and MusicBee, is much nicer with only a little more effort at the time of ripping.
I do tag all my files and organize them, just keep them in the disc structure and don't add sources. A FLAC file is probably from a CD/DVD-A/BD, and a WV file is probably from an SACD. Again, since I only buy lossless, I personally don't need any more in-depth identification than that.

I do tag all my files and organize them, just keep them in the disc structure and don't add sources. A FLAC file is probably from a CD/DVD-A/BD, and a WV file is probably from an SACD.
I have been adding a simple "source" addition to the album tag. Simple like (HD) for the high-resolution version, or (4.0.4 ATMOS) for the ones I have decoded from Atmos to 8 channel PCM.

I have been adding a simple "source" addition to the album tag. Simple like (HD) for the high-resolution version, or (4.0.4 ATMOS) for the ones I have decoded from Atmos to 8 channel PCM.
For resolution, that's already stored in FLAC file properties, so I just set a rule in my media players if I ever want to sort by resolution.
I personally keep Atmos in MKA, as that holds tags too and doesn't destroy Atmos metadata.

For resolution, that's already stored in FLAC file properties, so I just set a rule in my media players if I ever want to sort by resolution.
I personally keep Atmos in MKA, as that holds tags too and doesn't destroy Atmos metadata.
Kodi and PlexKodiConnect won't sort by channels or properties. Having a simple note in the album tag is simple and is more universal.

I decode the Atmos so losing the metadata isn't an issue for me. I use FLAC to play back the decoded Atmos. jRiver, Foobar200, Kodi and Adobe Audition all do ASIO and rearrangement of the channel assignments, which I need because I don't use a subwoofer or center channel for Atmos (4.0.4). I am limited to "only" 8 channels.

Kodi and PlexKodiConnect won't sort by channels or properties

I just the Kodi Source to filter by: Atmos, Quad, Surround (not Quad or Atmos), Stereo and Concerts.

You can also filter by any text in Genre so tagging with ‘Atmos’ would allow a user to see just ‘Atmos’ albums or tracks.

I just the Kodi Source to filter by: Atmos, Quad, Surround (not Quad or Atmos), Stereo and Concerts.

You can also filter by any text in Genre so tagging with ‘Atmos’ would allow a user to see just ‘Atmos’ albums or tracks.
Do you use Plex as a server and PlexKodiConnect as a Kodi add-on? I like having one main database (Plex) that feeds my various clients. Sorting will be limited.

edit...
for music I have been using jRiver more than Kodi. The "Play Doctor" feature in jRiver has been a game changer for me lately.

I use a similar folder naming scheme as what others have mentioned here for my flac (& other) conversions.
Artist - Year - Album (channels codec sample-rate bitdepth source)
example:
Jim Croce - 1973 - Life and Times (4.0 flac 96kz-24bit QdLP)
Within the metadata of each song I have extra info such as SQ, QS, CD-4, catalog number, etc.

I also create custom folder icons that show what the source is along with the codec, etc. So my rips have a custom pic of a quad reel, eight-track, blu-ray, etc. They also show up like this within Foobar.
0A8EE143-E8AD-4232-9DBB-BA639D0DAD85.jpeg

I use a similar folder naming scheme as what others have mentioned here for my flac (& other) conversions.
example:
Within the metadata of each song I have extra info such as SQ, QS, CD-4, catalog number, etc.

I also create custom folder icons that show what the source is along with the codec, etc. So my quad reel rips have a custom pic of a quad reel, eight-track, blu-ray, etc. They also show up like this within Foobar. View attachment 92630

That's a pretty cool idea!

example:

I also create custom folder icons that show what the source is along with the codec, etc. So my rips have a custom pic of a quad reel, eight-track, blu-ray, etc. They also show up like this within Foobar. View attachment 92630
damn, those are some slick icons... *($#($&&*# time to retag ...

Nice one...

What software do you use to create your custom icons?
I’m away from my PC now so I’ll have to get back with you on the exact name of the icon converter, it’s a simple, free image-to-icon converter.

I start with a large scan or picture of the source media, preferably 1000-3000 pixels, then I use a photo-editor like Paint-3D to incorporate the album art onto the media pic, make it a transparent .png image and then also convert the final image into an .ico (icon file). Right-click the folder and change the default folder icon to my custom one.

I also leave a copy of the full-size .png and name it “folder” or “cover” and then in Foobar’s settings, I have it use those “cover” or “folder” images as the default album art within my media library.

Back