Quad LP/Tape Poll O'Jays, The: Message In The Music [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ/Q8 of The O'Jays - Message In The Music

• 9 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Released in 1976, Message In The Music was the fifth and final O'Jays release to receive a quadraphonic mix. The album features the hit R&B singles Message In Our Music and Darlin' Darlin' Baby (Sweet, Tender, Love). Message In The Music also marks the final appearance of founding member William Powell, who passed away from cancer in May 1977.

Message SQ.jpeg
Message Q8 .jpeg

Philadelphia International PZQ 34245 [SQ LP] ZAQ 34245 [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: Message In The Music
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Arthur Stoppe

Side 1
  1. Message In Our Music
  2. A Prayer
  3. Paradise
  4. Make A Joyful Noise
Side 2
  1. Desire Me
  2. Darlin' Darlin' Baby (Sweet, Tender, Love)
  3. I Swear, I Love No One But You
  4. Let Life Flow

Though I don't rate this one as high as the other three O'Jays studio albums for musical content, it might be the best quad mix of the bunch. A lot of the detail does come through on the decoded SQ LP (you can hear stuff like the percussion and brass hard-panned in the back corners throughout "Paradise"), but the more complex passages with what sound like stereo pans happening in both the front and back speakers simultaneously lack separation. Whereas the drums and strings sound like they're wrapping around the entire listening space on LP, on the Q8 tape you can hear they're mixed across the front channels only. Same goes for the layered backing vocals in the rear speakers, they sound like they're in 'double-stereo' front and back on the LP. I guess even the best SQ decoders struggle to localize stereo imagery.

Judging by how good Mike Dutton's remasters of Survival and Family Reunion came out, I can only imagine how this would sound with the D-V treatment. Hope it happens!

I think @sjcorne nails it when he notes that, although other O’Jays albums are superior musically, the mix on this one is simply the best. The vocalists are in top form throughout as well.

“Message in the Music” sets the tone for soaring vocals, discrete and tasteful instrument placement, and meaningful lyrics.

“A Prayer” is a beautiful showcase for poignant lead vocals and tight harmonies. I love the way the instruments build throughout, as the prayer gets more and more profound. The production throughout is top-notch, really enhancing the power of the lyrics: Peace . . . Love . . . the Vindication of Your Holy Name . . . Exhortation . . . Down on my knees . . . On my back I pray.

As if the O’Jays didn’t already take us there, up next is “Paradise” – strumming rhythm guitars, percussion, soaring harmonies, lead guitar, horns, strings coming at me from all corners. Lyrics tastefully walk the line between spiritual and secular, political and social. Drums! Interplay of vocals! Archetypal Full-Blown Philly Soul! Williams’s “doo-dahs” coming from the back left! Wonderful track!

Slow it down and then speed it up for the side 1 closer: “Make A Joyful Noise,” giving this whole side a very church-like feel, with Levert belting it out, soaring, exhorting, and wailing like a preacher channeling the Holy Spirit. Gospel over R&B and those lovely harmonies!

Side 2 starts out slow and sultry with “Desire Me.” Vocals coming strong from the front left, tasteful guitar picking rear right, strings swelling. And decidedly secular in the wake of side 1’s spiritual bent. Passionate and poignant vocals, yearning. Absolutely sensational harmonies and lead vocal stylings. More great production, modulation, tempo-shift swinging horns from all corners and jazzy guitar solo coming from the front left, while the vocalists drive it forward. Slow it down again to drive home the desire and “rely on me trust in me” production! I love you yes I do yes I do I love you!

“Darlin’ Darlin’ Baby” continues the sexy and secular swing – classic mid-tempo Philly Soul. Evocative yearning vocals from Levert again. The O’Jays mos’ def’ find that belly rub groove! Congas from rear left drive the song.

The trio’s vocal prowess is on full display on “I Swear I Love No One But You.” The harmonies absolutely melt my mind! More straight up silky smooth belly rub groove. Layered vocals, layered instrumentation, this song puts the lay into layered! Electric piano rear right. Lead vocals front left. Call and response. Sax front right. Congas back left. The soaring horn chart kicks in as the song speeds up, up and away! Stratospheric.

The album comes to closure with “Let Life Flow.” Another wonderful mid-tempo Philly Soul workout. Roll with the punches! More danceable message music. The message in the music! Piano. Strings. Levert again (?). Don’t fight the feeling. Bubbly bouncing bassline. Short, sharp guitar chops rear left. The whole, a celebration of positivity and possibilities.

I’m so sad this was the last quad from the O’Jays, but overjoyed to have what We do: each Quad with wonderful somethings to savor, culminating in this masterpiece of mixing, or as @fredblue notes, "the absolute pinnacle of Quad mixing." Here's hoping for a D-V reissue . . . twofer anyone? 10!

Last edited:
Back