HiRez Poll Marillion - AN HOUR BEFORE IT'S DARK [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - AN HOUR BEFORE IT'S DARK

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from Marillion entitled "An Hour Before It's Dark".
The album was mixed in 5.1 surround by their producer and engineer Michael Hunter, and the 5.1 mix is available on Blu-Ray Audio.

(y) :) (n)

51Z4sC0zvjL._SL1200_.jpg

51XBQgijhaL._SL1200_.jpg

While I find the surround mix to be disappointing, the content packed standalone blu-ray is actually excellent value for money and comes highly recommended - especially for fans of Hogarth era Marillion. For about the cost of a cd, you get hi-res stereo and surround mixes of the main album plus instrumental mixes, a couple of videos, and a documentary. I wish more bands were this generous and it deserves support. Just don't expect a killer surround mix.

I voted an 8. Fidelity it top shelf, to my ears. I'm not really voting on the content, as I'm not much of a Marillion fan, regardless, I find the music pretty good.
Surround is more immersive than anything, which is fine by me. I enjoy immersive, sometimes more than discreet. Depends on the band, etc.

I can easily recommend this disc, for sure if you're a fan of the band. I'll be playing this one way more than Tears For Fears, but that's just a function of my musical taste. :)

I listened 'intently' through five matched 5.1 B&W/sub speakers and there's a lot more going on in the surrounds ...than meets the EAR! Front to back separation is subtle but THERE, often times discrete and as poster srbjab posts, at $18 for the stand alone BD~A/V, Marillion has packed a boatload of content into this amazing Disc.

Whether one opts for the box set or the stand alone BD~A/V, fans of Marillion should not be disappointed.

I voted an 8!

Sadly, my vote is a 7.
I have a preference for a noticeably discrete soundscape. Discrete, this mix is not. A small sound effect here or there doesn't really make me scream discrete.

As I find with the majority of Mike Hunter’s mixes, the 5.1 approach is immersive or big stereo with a few discrete effects (usually not matched in volume in the mix with the mains). I had high hopes as the mixes for Afraid of Sunlight, FEAR, and With Friends showed some improvement on the discrete front but alas, this one takes a big step back.

The fidelity is on par with other new Marillion releases of date. Whichever way you judged the sound on FEAR is likely how you are going to view this one.

On the plus side, the value provided for the price of the bluray is fantastic. A relatively inexpensive disc with a good deal of content as others have pointed out. As a long-time, diehard fan I also pre-ordered the Deluxe CD/DVD set as well. Nothing really extra there except for more art work.

My vote does not account for how I feel about the music itself. If it did, I think the score would be lower. I am certain the album will grow on me but my overall feeling of the album is “meh – sounds like stuff that didn’t make it onto FEAR”. Very good music but just more of the same.

The whole album seems to be an assembly of spare parts organized and arranged by Hunter more than individually crafted songs from the band. It is a trend that I think first appeared on the Happiness Is the Road album. The songs became more atmospheric musically - more of a homogenized sound concoction just short of ambient.

Still love them but I miss the Marillion that made Marbles – lyrics that tell a story, create vivid imagery, married to the music.

Surround Mix: 5
Fidelity: 8
Value: 9

Sadly, my vote is a 7.
I have a preference for a noticeably discrete soundscape. Discrete, this mix is not. A small sound effect here or there doesn't really make me scream discrete.

As I find with the majority of Mike Hunter’s mixes, the 5.1 approach is immersive or big stereo with a few discrete effects (usually not matched in volume in the mix with the mains). I had high hopes as the mixes for Afraid of Sunlight, FEAR, and With Friends showed some improvement on the discrete front but alas, this one takes a big step back.

The fidelity is on par with other new Marillion releases of date. Whichever way you judged the sound on FEAR is likely how you are going to view this one.

On the plus side, the value provided for the price of the bluray is fantastic. A relatively inexpensive disc with a good deal of content as others have pointed out. As a long-time, diehard fan I also pre-ordered the Deluxe CD/DVD set as well. Nothing really extra there except for more art work.

My vote does not account for how I feel about the music itself. If it did, I think the score would be lower. I am certain the album will grow on me but my overall feeling of the album is “meh – sounds like stuff that didn’t make it onto FEAR”. Very good music but just more of the same.

The whole album seems to be an assembly of spare parts organized and arranged by Hunter more than individually crafted songs from the band. It is a trend that I think first appeared on the Happiness Is the Road album. The songs became more atmospheric musically - more of a homogenized sound concoction just short of ambient.

Still love them but I miss the Marillion that made Marbles – lyrics that tell a story, create vivid imagery, married to the music.

It seems you could read my mind. I fully follow this line of reasoning, but I will definitely continue to be a Marilion fan.

It seems you could read my mind. I fully follow this line of reasoning, but I will definitely continue to be a Marilion fan.

100% - I still pre-order Fish's stuff even though I typically shelve them after a listen or two. Always hoping that the next release will be a masterpiece to me like Vigil, Internal, Sunsets, and 13th Star.

Sadly, my vote is a 7.

I agree with the sentiment on the music itself (haven't listened to the surround mix yet). It's better on the second listen, but the songs are too long for what they are. I don't mind long songs but they're just all over the place with no consistent structure. I actually like FEAR but also thought that the long songs could have been about 5 minutes shorter. They have this annoying tendency to kind of "end" in the middle but then start up again. Building up to a dramatic tone and then crashing it back down to a quiet part just didn't work for me.

Also, there's no nice way to put this but Hogarth sounds, well, old. He just sounds tired in this album. His vocal range here is extremely limited compared to past outings and he kind of just sounds like he's barely croaking out the tunes.

Hopefully I will grow to like this one over time, as I do like FEAR. I don't agree that it sounds like spare parts; there at the very least is a clear theme; FEAR was a lot about the state of the world then, increasing xenophobia, politics fuelling hatred, oligarchs making our lives miserable, etc. here there is more of a "let's try to be better and improve our world" kind of theme.

I voted an 8. Fidelity it top shelf, to my ears. I'm not really voting on the content, as I'm not much of a Marillion fan, regardless, I find the music pretty good.
Surround is more immersive than anything, which is fine by me. I enjoy immersive, sometimes more than discreet. Depends on the band, etc.

I can easily recommend this disc, for sure if you're a fan of the band. I'll be playing this one way more than Tears For Fears, but that's just a function of my musical taste. :)

Hmmm - I'm rethinking my vote. I just listened to Fugazi, and yeah. There is a pretty good difference in general fidelity and surround mix. At least, I think there is. I'm cautiously moving my vote down to a 7. It's not easy for me to vote 7's and lower. Not sure why.

I'd say, I need to learn that a 7, is still closing in on a 10. Fugazi absolutely sounds better overall to me.

Hmmm - I'm rethinking my vote. I just listened to Fugazi, and yeah. There is a pretty good difference in general fidelity and surround mix. At least, I think there is. I'm cautiously moving my vote down to a 7. It's not easy for me to vote 7's and lower. Not sure why.

I'd say, I need to learn that a 7, is still closing in on a 10. Fugazi absolutely sounds better overall to me.
Yeah I am not sure how people think the fidelity of this is good. As I said, it's lo-fi to me.

One of the other problems I have with the surround mix is the volume of H's vocals, front and center - I find that they often overwhelm the rather tepid back channels. Interestingly, I find the instrumental surround version of the album to be a much more pleasant and balanced listen. Without the vocals, the complexity and layers of the music come through more clearly. Not being a huge fan of Hogarth era Marillion, I'm not sure how often they've released instrumental versions of their albums, but possibly the band thought the music was good enough in this case to highlight. Whatever the reason, it does add value to the blu-ray package and I don't regret the purchase despite not caring much for the surround mix.

I gave it an 8. Yes, the 5.1 mix could use a bit more adventure in spots but it is immersive and after 3 plays through I get more subtleties within it.

As I don't have as much time as I wish to just immerse myself in 5.1 music in my little music room, I like to play the mix, listen to the 2.0 version in the car and on the AirPods while out walking, then come back to the 5.1 after I'm familiar with the songs.

The writing and arrangements on this album are really very good...lyrics a little iffy at times but that's typical with Hogie. His voice is in good form and the band all have come together musically with what is becoming a fave for me....after I deleted "Reprogram the Gene" from my playlist it turned a VG album into a VG+/EX one...oh those lyrics really do suck swamp water...and cutting the track brings the album down to 47 minutes without really disrupting the flow of the other tracks.

Mix is a bit dense and cluttered (2.0 and 5.1), a lot going on but for the most part it's just fine, showcases the power of the material they brought to the table. Bombastic prog at 2022 best.

The minute I started to listen to the 5.1 mix on the blu-ray, it was obvious something was off. It sounded as if there was a blanket over my tweeters. When I play the stereo version from the same disc, It sounds wonderful.
From the menu I restarted again in 5.1 and right from the start chimes that where present in the stereo mix where missing from the 5.1 mix. During the first chorus of Be Hard On Yourself, I believe it is a xylophone that comes in and is clearly heard into the verse, exactly the the sort of discrete elements that should go to the surrounds but are invisible in the muffled high end of this 5.1 mix.
I can get a much better surround experience from the stereo version of the album then the 5.1 mix presented on the blu-ray.
Now for a more personal gripe, why should i have to fumble through a booklet for lyrics when i am looking directly at a big screen right in front of me.
I think the album is fantastic and I am glad to have a great hi-res stereo version of this album, but a paid for a great hi-res surround version, and I don't feel that's what i got. 6

The minute I started to listen to the 5.1 mix on the blu-ray, it was obvious something was off. It sounded as if there was a blanket over my tweeters. When I play the stereo version from the same disc, It sounds wonderful.
From the menu I restarted again in 5.1 and right from the start chimes that where present in the stereo mix where missing from the 5.1 mix. During the first chorus of Be Hard On Yourself, I believe it is a xylophone that comes in and is clearly heard into the verse, exactly the the sort of discrete elements that should go to the surrounds but are invisible in the muffled high end of this 5.1 mix.
I can get a much better surround experience from the stereo version of the album then the 5.1 mix presented on the blu-ray.
Now for a more personal gripe, why should i have to fumble through a booklet for lyrics when i am looking directly at a big screen right in front of me.
I think the album is fantastic and I am glad to have a great hi-res stereo version of this album, but a paid for a great hi-res surround version, and I don't feel that's what i got. 6
That's why I never listen to the included stereo mixes on any release.

I blindly bought the Blu-Ray and found the multi-channel production every bit as front heavy, dynamically stunted, and murky as others both here and over on quadraphonic quad.com have described. Bummer! The discussion here suggests that the CD and vinyl versions aren't great either. While the 24/96 PCM stereo mix on the Blu Ray is (a little) better and at least the vocals don't sound nearly as recessed, even this mix is far from demo worthy. I guess I should have had a Google-search and a little read before I pressed the Buy Now button. Its a shame 'cuz after two listen-throughs of the album, it's clearly one of the band's stronger efforts musically. Debating whether to return it and wait for the eventual release of a live version of the album...

I spend for work a lot of time alone in my car. Over the past few weeks I have learned to appreciate this Marillion album as pleasant company. It settled in my head. A fine album that (as is noted in many reviews) can join the best of Marillion in terms of music. All the greater is the disappointment every time I want to undergo the Blu-ray 5.1 version of this album at home 'in my room'. Although the admiration for the music and the confidence in the live performances has certainly grown, I see no reason to adjust my rating here (7)

Back