Backup your music files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to make the plunge and buy a new NAS and drives. Mine is full........
So, if I get a 4-bay (which I will)....what is recommendation for TB per drive?? I mean, I'm not made of money, so that has to be part of the equation unfortunately. If I get four 4TB drives, that will cost about $400... Or, should I get two 8TB drives for now? Do I have to have all 4 filled? Talk to me peeps...what makes sense? Nearly all my music library is ripped...so all I'm doing now is adding a title here and there as I buy them.
I would buy a Synology 4-disc NAS and 2x 8TB or 2x 10TB (the bigger the better) and add 2 more later. I have one with 4x10TB discs all still sitting in a box waiting for me to get off my lazy backside and put it all together!)

(As your current NAS is Synology you will keep compatibility as you have SHR set-up which allows for different discs sizes, so you could even put the current 2x4TB into it!)

I would buy a Synology 4-disc NAS and 2x 8TB or 2x 10TB (the bigger the better) and add 2 more later. I have one with 4x10TB discs all still sitting in a box waiting for me to get off my lazy backside and put it all together!)

(As your current NAS is Synology you will keep compatibility as you have SHR set-up which allows for different discs sizes, so you could even put the current 2x4TB into it!)
Great advice, thanks!!

BTW I bought Western Digital Red Pro HDDs for better reliability, especially if you're doing a lot of streaming from them - standard PC disc drives aren't really designed for that sort of heavy use.
OK! My current drives are Western Digital Reds....but I don't think they are PRO...or maybe they are.... :)

1. You do not have to fill all the slots.
2. If you use a RAID configuration (and you should), you will pay for it with at least one of your drives. So, an 8+8 config will likely give you 8T storage capacity but so can a 4+4+4.
You should Google "RAID" and see what is your most economic arrangement (with some room to grow).

4 x 4 will provide more capacity but less expansion than 2 x 8.
I would go 2 x 8 mirrored between those two choices, 3 x 8 RAID if you can afford the extra drive.
You should not need all 4 bays filled.

Reactions: GOS
So, sitting in my Amazon cart is below....so as noted below, I'd get two 8TB pro drives and the 918+. My total would be $1123.98
So far, I cannot find any of these pieces cheaper than Amazon.

1570381744111.png

I have the Synology DS918+ and can highly recommend it. I installed 4 x 10TB WB Red disks plus 2 x intel optane memory 16GB M.2 SSD.
Just remember to make a backup. A NAS is not a backup devi ce in itself.

Reactions: GOS
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/Here is the site I use for drive statistics. I personally prefer the HGST drives due to their superior reliability, though they are more expensive. Personal preference is also to fill all slots in RAID5 configuration ( 1 redundant drive). While not necessary to fill all slots simultaneously, filling all does give you maximum capacity. Go for at least 8 tb drives.

I’d recommend RAID5 too (as I posted earlier in this thread). It’s a pain upgrading drives, so I also suggest going for 3 x 10TB drives which gives you 20TB of usable storage and protection if 1 drive fails. In that scenario you can replace the dead drive and the system auto rebuilds it from the two good drives, no backups need to be restored.

I'll be back here this weekend looking for support to get this damn thing set up correctly

Hey Gene, follow the instructions here. This will create a SHR (Raid 5) drive array using 3 drives giving you 16TB of usable space with a auto backup of everything (using the other 8TB):

No need to setup QuickConnect at the end of the video.

Last edited:
The above will give you a btrfs file system which has ‘auto healing‘to stop bit rot and other errors. The SHR kind of makes three copies of the data and can compare versions of each file, fixing one if it’s not same as the other two versions (simplistic description)

After you’ve created the SHR it will take ages (a few hours) to do a parity check. I recommend you let it complete that before starting to use the NAS.

Once parity check is complete you can create Volumes from the 16TB and copy your old data from your old NAS or from backup drives. Copy will take a while to as you already know.

You can make as many Volumes as you want, e.g. 4 x 4TB (but you need at least 1) they will appear as separate drives (but really they are distributed across all 3 of your 8TB discs).

The only advantage of having more volumes is backup. Since your backup drives are probably 4TB you can easily backup one single 4TB Volume to one 4TB backup drive. If you have a single 16TB volume trying to run a backup to many individual smaller backup drives is painful (what goes on which disk, and will it fit?)

How to Create Multiple Volumes:

Last edited:
Back