Amazon Firestick 4K Max for Surround Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noted when retrying whole process that error response given at -Set the kodi app to have access to external storage folders- with “Unknown Operation string: org. Xbmc. Kodi’

I’ve been looking into this and I’ve read that permissions command does work in Android 9, so I don’t understand why you get an error.

Edited….

@woody

Can you please create a bat file with this content and run it. Please let me know if what gets returned from the last 'appops' permission command:

Code:
echo off
set /p IPADDRESS="ip-address-of-fire-tv: "

adb kill-server
adb start-server

@echo on
adb connect %IPADDRESS%

echo "Your FTV should now be connected - Close if not and check your FTV"

adb shell cmd appops set --uid org.xbmc.kodi MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE allow
pause

I updated the zip file this morning, nothing critical for existing users but the batch files have better info. One change in setting Kodi permissions which may help on Android 9, the latest Kodi v21 nightly (nothing that looks important) and the screenshot batch file has info on screen recording (capturing the device activity to a video).

BTW: The zip contents and batch files worked on a Google Chromecast 4K (Google TV) stick. That has Android 12 installed. I haven’t done any user testing apart from running Kodi and confirming conguration, but I’d be surprised if it can’t play all the surround formats the FTV 4K Max can in my Kodi testing. I will test surround music this weekend just to confirm. It a usb c port (the FTV is usb micro) so the OTG cable and the USB to Ethernet adapter I posted in post #3 cant be used on the Chromecast.

New version of the Kodi Install zip file is now uploaded (updated Kodi v21 Omega nightly for Android installer to today's build)

(One of the Kodi changes in this release is a new user setting to resolve HDR playback if a file contains both Dolby Vision and HDR 10+. The setting allows users to set which HDR flavour they want to use)

Get the 'How To' pdf doc here (with a link the the zip file) - the PDF file has not been updated:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/kodimods/How To - Kodi on FireTV.pdf

@woody

Can you please create a bat file with this content and run it. Please let me know if what gets returned from the last 'appops' permission command:

Code:
echo off
set /p IPADDRESS="ip-address-of-fire-tv: "

adb kill-server
adb start-server

@echo on
adb connect %IPADDRESS%

echo "Your FTV should now be connected - Close if not and check your FTV"

adb shell cmd appops set --uid org.xbmc.kodi MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE allow
pause
Since Friday’s post and subsequent download it is now all working for me apart from the Artist’s logo’s. Thanks

Excellent news! What was date of your download that resolved your issue?

Edit: I’m pretty sure the change to the command setting Kodi file permission was the fix. I added that in the zip (post #243 above ) on Friday afternoon MEL time. The change was in the test bat file in post #242.

The Artist logos look at the Artist Information folder you’ve set in Kodi and the Artist Slideshow settings. But if those logos don’t exist I think the AS tries to download them. I’ll check that out sometime soon. Actually I think you need to do a Kodi music library re-scan again, with an option of ‘fetch additional data online’ or similar setting enabled in the Media, Music settings.

I’ll upload my Artist Information folder and you can copy to your Artist Information folder. That has logos, fanart and data for all the common artists with MCH releases. I’ll do that tomorrow if I get time.

(I’m picking up a new Denon AVC-X4800H tomorrow, and I’ll just have to set that up immediately - adds MPEG-H 3D decoding, Auro 3D upmixing and more advanced room correction over my existing AVR, plus I can switch off the channel amps I’m not using, 5 channels will be pre-amped out to external amps, so less noise - busy day!)

Last edited:
Here's my Kodi Artist information folder in a 3.4GB z-zip file: @woody
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqs3ia6BNDDHsB0698-jd_EcoXoL?e=gLU736
This contains the artist thumbnail (used in the Kodi music views). logo, fanart, extrafanart (used by the Artist Slideshow) and artist biography etc for each artist:
Artist Info Example.png

NOTES:
Unzip into the folder you use for the 'Artist Information' folder in your Kodi installation

You will need to download and install 7-Zip to unzip the contents. I used 7-Zip because it compresses to a smaller file

Please don't download unless you really need this for Kodi. I don't want to swamp Onedrive with hundreds of D/Ls.

With the Amazon Firestick TV 4K Max down to $40 USD I thought I'd update my Kodi installation files with latest Kodi 21 Omega beta as it has some Android related changes.

Same link in the PDF How to doc

@gwibe Thanks for the tip!

I wouldn’t try on your NVidia Shield although everything bar the Kodi installer should be compatible with any Kodi 21 installation since the add-ons and config files are identical. Add-ons and skin files are just Python and xml text files.

There may be slight difference to the Kodi user data folder location, but I’m not sure.

I wouldn’t try on your NVidia Shield although everything bar the Kodi installer should be compatible with any Kodi 21 installation since the add-ons and config files are identical. Add-ons and skin files are just Python and xml text files.

There may be slight difference to the Kodi user data folder location, but I’m not sure.
:unsure: Me pretending to fully understand Python’s and xml text files.

Those files are identical regardless of the underlying operating system (I.e. They are compatible across Windows, Android, Linux etc).

So no need to pretend now :)

The trick is knowing where the userdata folder is on the Shield and copying the files there.

Have you got a Shield yet?

Those files are identical regardless of the underlying operating system (I.e. They are compatible across Windows, Android, Linux etc).

So no need to pretend now :)

The trick is knowing where the userdata folder is on the Shield and copying the files there.

Have you got a Shield yet?
Yeah . Have had one since October ‘23. Have the Aon Nox skin just not with your nice added extras.

Ok. I’ll create a new version of all the files needed for latest Kodi 21 (Omega) now it’s at Release Candidate 2 based on most recent versions of Aeon Nox Silvo skin and publish that here on QQ.

I’ll do that this weekend.

Back