• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix)

• Total voters

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Not the least bit disappointed with this as some seem to be. (Moderately that is)

Excellent mix with my first 2 listens , whats not to like ? This is the disc that ended The Beatles and shit ......did they ever go out with a bang.

Not overly p.o.'d with the price either......... $167.00 total w/tx.

Going to be my "go to" bluray for quite some time.

I suppose Giles next will be Let It Be as he did mention that as a to do.

Hoping he also does up Magical Mystery Tour , the 67 disc that follows pepper.
Either one will do , and I can hardly wait for that next 5ch masterpiece. :)

PS IT'S A TEN !!!!

The56Kid

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I’ve always loved Abbey Road. Except for Maxwell and Octopus, that is. It’s never sounded this fantastic. Everything sounds that much more present and tangible. The bass especially is huge. Maybe the mix could have been more adventurous, but it’s excellent nonetheless. Come Together and Something sound great, but the mix really starts to shine from I Want You (She’s So Heavy) onward for me.

I’d like to give this rebuffed classic a 10, but can’t do so in good conscience after hearing the insanely stupendous surround mix on offer by the Dukes Of Stratosphear release. If I could vote a 9.5 I would, so a very high 9 will have to do.

Hamilton59

Reaction score
Do we really have to have only one disk that we give a 10? I haven't received my copy of Dukes Of Stratosphear yet so it may well have a better surround mix ( I hope so, that would be wonderful) but that is only part of what I consider when voting... And content to me is King. If I don't like the music, I won't play it except to demo sound moving around the speakers.... With that in mind, Abbey Road is great and I could have more than one 10.
Just my opinion...

The56Kid

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I don't disagree, Hamilton. Multiple 10s could and should be had - it's subjective anyway. I was just stating that having got both the Dukes and AR at approximately the same time, the former's mix edged it to a 10 for me, just above AR. Had I heard them apart by a month or so, I'd probably have given Abbey a 10 also. In fact, I like Abbey more than the White Album, and I gave the White Album a 10.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I think different albums can be a "10" in their own ways. The way I view it, if AR fails to delight you, it's not a 10. If you thoroughly enjoy it, it might be a 10. Does it have some technical flaw that others should know about? Maybe knock off some points. Or, even if you enjoyed it, could it have been better? As stated above, it's completely subjective, of course.

ar surround

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
I sometimes sample what I had as a reference before a high-res, surround sound reissue, i.e. the Abbey Road 2009 remastered CD. Then a lot of the reissues most definitely earn 9s and 10s ratings in comparison.

kvsawilson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Been listening and enjoying this one a lot since finally getting back home and having time to listen. While I love it and can't imagine I'll ever listen to it in stereo again, other than on a road trip or something, I would give it a 9 just because there's a couple things I wish were different. From the mixing choices, I wish the 3 guitar solo on The End would have circled the room. I've imagined hearing it that way since the old quad days when I always wished we had some quad Beatles. The only other real problem I have is something I've seen no one else mention so maybe it's just my ears. But I feel that the guitar on She Came In Through the Bathroom Window is too low in the mix. Maybe it is just me and I know my ears are not what they used to be and I don't vote any more because of that.
On another note, I've always had 4 albums that I considered my 4 favs for decades now. On any given day, one might be higher than another but this one, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Close to the Edge are the 4 albums that always wow me and now they're all 4 available in surround. And I'd say they're my favorite 4 surround albums as content is always king for me. So even if I rated it a 9, it's still Abbey Road and sounds better than ever!

shakti

Reaction score
I'm late to this party as well. I didn't rush out to get this upon release. I have to admit that I have never been much of a fan of this album. In fact, if you catch me in a bad mood, I will go on record saying it is the most spectacularly overrated record of all time. If I'm in a good mood, I will just make my point by saying it's not even in the Beatles' top 5 (that being made up of White Album, Revolver, Pepper, Rubber Sould and A Hard Day's Night or Magic Mystery Tour if you count that). How this record can regularly check out in the top 5 of all time album lists is just beyond my comprehension. Maybe it is the silly mythology surrounding it that rubs me the wrong way - the BS tale of how the Beatles "all pulled together one last time, to make their ultimate album, the four pals from Liverpool, oh how they loved each other, and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" etc etc.

To my ears, so much of the Beatle "magic" is gone by 1969. It was starting to faulter by late 1967, although there were certainly lots of flashes of brilliance after that. But there was a wide-eyed excitement and "otherness" to anything up to and including Pepper and most of Magical Mystery tour. After that, they seem to sound much more ordinary (partly be design, of course, by shedding the psychedelic sheen). I love The White Album though, just for its sheer bloody-mindedness and warts-and-all approach.

Abbey Road, on the other hand, always sounded to me like sanitized Beatles. Half-baked songs wrapped up in posh and lush production to hide the weaknesses ("The Long One" in particular). There was something distant and detached about it. For all these years, I just could never get beneath the surface of the album, and I have been wondering why I dislike it so much. Song by song, even though there are tracks I don't care for at all, it is strong enough that I shouldn't actively dislike it so much. If I tried to evaluate it critically, and setting my biases aside, I would still rate it a 4 star album (the vocal harmonies for one thing are frequently stunning and influential, just listen to The Pretty Things' great Parachute album, which sounds like an Abbey Road rip-off in the vocals department). But for a 4-star album, I sure have a way too active disliking for it.

Until now, I could not quite understand wh, but now I know: I just hate the production and/or the mix on the album! The surround mix opens it up and reveals everything! What sounded removed and distant and detached, is now enveloping and intimate and engaging! Love, love, love this mix! The surround mix on The White Album was fine, even great, but this is stellar to my ears. It doesn't change the material on the album (still uneven and sometimes lackluster, with flashes of brilliance), but what's there is much easier to enjoy. I think I will actually listen to this again, which I hardly ever felt compelled to with the old stereo mix.

8 for content, 10 for the mix, so a 9 from me.

bktouchstone

Reaction score
After reassembling my surround system in the new house, I have now had time to try to slay the subwoofer dragon. For some reason, too much base kills songs for me, and at fairly low levels compared to what I hear at intersections from nearby cars. How do people listen to all that bass?

My solution, after much trial and error, was to just cave in to the 80 hz THX standard, and divert anything less than 80 hz from the fronts to the subwoofer, and then tweak the sub levels until satisfaction was possible without having to tailor the bass to each song. This worked!

Since I gave Abbey Road a 9 originally, I decided to revisit AR in surround and see if the new subwoofer treatment worked. And you know what? It did! And I have decided to change my score from a 9 to a NINE. I know a lot of folks rate this a 10 and I am glad they enjoy this to such a great extent. I also love listening to this album and will gladly pay for whatever Beatles recordings Giles puts his hands on.

markshan

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
the Beatles' top 5 (that being made up of White Album

To my ears, so much of the Beatle "magic" is gone by 1969. It was starting to faulter by late 1967, although there were certainly lots of flashes of brilliance after that.
Which is it?

shakti

Reaction score
Which is it?
What do you mean? As I said, I think the Beatles had a certain "magic" up to and including 1967. They were ahead of the competition, and were dishing out genre-expanding stuff on a daily basis, and the average quality is sky high. Everything seems inspired and unique.
By 1968, it shifts towards something a little more worksman-like, at least to my ears. They were operating more as individuals, and the average quality seems to slip a little. It's just not quite as "ahead of everyone else". I make a bit of an exception for The White Album because, while it is certainly guilty of everything I just mentioned (nothing is quite as mind-blowingly unique as the stuffleading up to it, average quality is definitely a step down all in all), it is at least a very "honest" album that puts it all on display. I love the hits, and enjoy many of the misses. I veer back and forth on which is my favourite Beatles album, but it is between any in the top 5 I think.
Abbey Road is where it gets just too "crafty" to me.

But in any case, I have been enjoying the heck out of this reissue, and has bumped up my enthusiasm for it at least a notch or two. It seems more "human" and more in touch with the rest of their catalogue. The sessions in particular kind of reminded me of what I heard from the White Album sessions. So I have concluded that it's the production, which is occasionally bordering on the saccharine, that I really dislike.

TVB

Reaction score
I bid on an abbey road bluray and just noticed it says eu (for europe) . Does the eu disc play in an oppo in the usa? are there problems with the eu disc? Can someone post a photo of the usa bluray (not the jacket).....

Snood

Staff member
Reaction score
I bid on an abbey road bluray and just noticed it says eu (for europe) . Does the eu disc play in an oppo in the usa? are there problems with the eu disc? Can someone post a photo of the usa bluray (not the jacket).....
Yes the Music Blurays are non region and will play in the USA - No problems heard of so specifically for Europe so far, but even as people reported here, some USA blurays have had some playback problems. They either play or do not.