HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - THE MISSING PIECE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant - THE MISSING PIECE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new edition of the classic Gentle Giant album "The Missing Piece" which features new stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos mixes from Steven Wilson in a CD/Blu-Ray edition.

(y) :) (n)

816TG9FlGUL._SL1500_.jpg

71iy1X2P2QL._SL1468_.jpg

Please post your thoughts and comments on this new edition of the classic Gentle Giant album "The Missing Piece" which features new stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos mixes from Steven Wilson in a CD/Blu-Ray edition.

(y) :) (n) Received my copy yesterday from importcds.com and love the audio and video content. Music is as-advertised, including attempts at being more mainstream balanced with GG's prog approach. Though a 96/24 LPCM 5.1 track is listed both on the package sleeve and the blu-ray disc itself, I could not find the track on the menu. The only 5.1 track i was able to play was the DTS HD-MA. Has anyone else encountered this?

816TG9FlGUL._SL1500_.jpg

71iy1X2P2QL._SL1468_.jpg

This is not one of my favorite band albums, as it represents the turning point of the abandonment of the progressive style to the trends of that time of new wave, punk, commercial pop. And that is something that those of us who have grown up with progressive rock cannot stand.

But I’ve had a good surprise with the Steven Wilson's Atmos mixing style, when it comes to the lead vocals. I was used to Steven Wilson mixing vocals in the center channel, mostly, and that's how it appears in the 5.1 mix of this album. But in the Atmos mix, Derek Shulman's voice is not located in the front center, nor in the two stereo Fronts. Instead, a dry vocal appears primarily on the Wides, supported by a copy (echo, reverb) of the vocals on other channels like Rears and Top Rears, and sometimes also on the center channel.

This is another mix that really amortizes my 9.1.4 rig.

Sometimes there is an alternate between other vocals appearing in the center channel, in the traditional way, and Derek Shulman's voice on Wides that make a very good contrast. The overall effect, using the Wides and other channels for vocals, is not exactly the "inside the head" that we mention sometimes, but a diffuse voice that expands all over the immersive bubble partially coming also from above. The result is very good, since it manages to ensure that the effect does not depend on being located in the sweet spot. Moving around the room, while listening, you continue to notice the enveloping voice that comes from the sound bubble, around and above you, while you locate the instruments here and there.

It's the first time I've noticed Steven Wilson this way of mixing the vocals. Maybe he has heard all of us who say that we don't like the vocals isolated in the center. I'll have to explore if there are more Wilson mixes with this criteria.

On the other hand, the visuals are interesting, for most of the songs, but not as spectacular as in “The Power and the Glory” Bluray. "Memories of Old Days" is especially endearing, to see the progress of the life of the band and its members, and perhaps the best song, which is reminiscent of their past era of progressive style

Of course, I love this Steven Wilson's Atmos mix, but the style of music prevents me from giving it a 10.
So my vote is only 9.

Back