Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself (CD & 5.1 DVD-V)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0tto

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself (CD & DVD-A)

Available as a 2 disc cd/dvda set, The Man Who Sold Himself is the third collaborative outing from Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison and Canadian multi-instrumentalist/singer-songwriter 05Ric.

Exclusive: the first 500 copies will be signed by Gavin & 05Ric

Best known for his work with Porcupine Tree, Gavin has also played with King Crimson and played sessions for many other artists, but Gavin has stated that his work on The Man Who Sold Himself contains, 'Some of the wildest rhythmic concepts that I have ever conjured and 05Ric has snaked his bass around.'

05Ric goes on to explain that lyrically the album deals with themes, “Based on the greed of the financial global crisis, the empty shallowness of goal seeking without passion or for its own sake and the destructive force left behind by selfish behaviour. The central character through heightened awareness and right action discovers his true calling.”

Both lyrically and musically, The Man Who Sold Himself pushes this unique collaboration's possibilities even further out than before.
Preorder now for 27th February 2012 release date

http://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/3486/

http://www.amazon.com/Sold-Himself-...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325948954&sr=8-1-fkmr1

http://www.amazon.ca/Sold-Himself-G...45TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325949023&sr=8-1

Strange one this the DVD has the DVD Audio/Video logo on it but seems to only play in DTS or Dulby Digital.
rather annoyingly when i choose the Audio options button it stops the disc I have to select DTS on the fly.

if it has a DVDA stream then i cant find it !!

FYI Ben Darlow is the author of the disc Hatch farm studios.

UPDATE
Checked the disc on my PC, it has both AUDIO and VIDIO folders, however the AUDIO_TS folder on the disc and its empty so i think there is an issue with the disc which needs resolving.

getting in touch with Burning shed now !!!

Last edited:
I got worried that this wasn't a DVD-A when Neil indicated that he didn't author it!!!.... Neil you did Circles - right?

Burning Shed et. al. should not be marketing it as a DVD-A!!!!

FYI - A lot of DVD-Videos have an empty Audio_TS folder.....

To be fair Burning shed say this should be a DVDA and they are according to the mail I received checking with the author. If its meant to be just a DVD rather than DVDA then its pretty badly done.
As selecting the Audio optiosn seems to stop the disc I think its a bad master issue. Hope so anyway not sure who quality checked it thogh.
Its a great album and quite a good mix in DTS.

It's disappointing that this is only a DVD and it's weird that selecting an audio option stops the disc. It's even stranger that the audio option seems to work when you restart the disc. Hopefully this is just an authoring problem as Burning Shed are usually more reliable in their descriptions of DVDs as being DVD-As or audio DVDs.:confused:

UPDATE
Checked the disc on my PC, it has both AUDIO and VIDIO folders, however the AUDIO_TS folder on the disc and its empty so i think there is an issue with the disc which needs resolving.

that's sucks, canceled mine order at amazon.
i wouldn't be impressed by illiterate description at amazon, but Burning Shed...:(
thanks for operative info rusinurbe.

Thanks to all for the updates.

I was ready to purchase this through Burning shed this weekend.
I will wait to see how this develops.

This is another great reason to have timely input on this Forum! :smokin

I got worried that this wasn't a DVD-A when Neil indicated that he didn't author it!!!.... Neil you did Circles - right?

Burning Shed et. al. should not be marketing it as a DVD-A!!!!

FYI - A lot of DVD-Videos have an empty Audio_TS folder.....

Yes, I did do "Circles".
Did not get asked to do this one, so obviously they have gone for the cheap option.

Now Burning Shed has it listed as a CD/DVD-V

Decisions decisions... I still want the album regardless as I like their music, but maybe now I should just wait for the FLAC files to purchase and download as they would be similar to the redbook CD.

Dullby Digital 5.1 (default) and DTS.

I have just had it confirmed that it is only a DVDV and that there is not going to be a DVDA.

I let it be known that I thought the disc is very badly authored (the audio options menu stops the disc) and that they have/will miss out on sales as its not a DVDA.

I also pointed out that this was a backwards step after the last album. Burning Shed did say they would pass my feedback back to K-scope.

Sad but true!!
However, the really cheap option is DVDSP and LPCM/DTS.
What is the actual content?

that's interesting.
Neil can you tell what drives up the cost - use of MLP or complexity of DVDA authoring?

b.t.w. what is DVDSP?

that's interesting.
Neil can you tell what drives up the cost - use of MLP or complexity of DVDA authoring?

b.t.w. what is DVDSP?

It's the complexity of the authoring, and the time taken to QC it.
You're putting 2 forms onto a single disc and then setting hooks from one into the other.
DVD-V is far simpler, as you do not have the restrictions with the Video_TS that you do when it goes into DVD-A.

DVDSP = Apple's DVD Studio Pro. It used to be Spruce Maestro, until Apple swallowed it up and was better in the old days.
Now it is an abstraction layer nightmare with many spec fudges and cannot produce DVD-A compliant title sets.

Another issue is that there seem to be a lot of people who think DVD-Audio is a DVD with Audio on it as opposed to a film.
Very bad that there is not even an LPCM stereo stream!!!

EDIT.
Another huge issue that gets terribly awkward sometimes is setting the layer break.
We're currently doing 2 concert titles that will also have the surround mix in Audio_TS as well as LPCM stereo & DTS with the film.
The problem here is that the Video_TS is the larger of the 2, so layer break needs to be set in Sonic DAC.
However, because there is no way to preview anything the only way to do this is as follows:
1 - Compile the Audio_TS
2 - Compile the Video_TS
3 - Determine the size of each _TS, and work out the bitrate in Mbps.
4 - Work out where this would tip me over the edge of the 4.2Gb limit for Layer 0, and pick the chapter point in the footage before this.
5 - Compile again after setting cutting point (as Sonic call it) to this chapter, and cross your fingers.
Given each full compile can take up to 45 minutes, and the only time you get to find out if Layer 0 or Layer 1 is too big is right at the end of the process when you get the dreaded yellow box with it's "Layer 0 exceeds 4.2Gb" message, and you can imagine how the hours mount up!

An ideal situation is the ATS larger than the VTS, and both smaller than 4.2Gb. This rarely happens though (sob)

Last edited:
Its a great album and quite a good mix in DTS.

I'm going to keep my order with Amazon.ca. It's only $16.15 CDN. That's what I expect to pay for a CD that isn't a mainstream release, and the DVD-V will be a bonus if the DTS 5.1 mix is enjoyable to listen to (even though the CD technically can have better sound quality).

Bottom line is that I would be buying the CD if it was the only format available, though we wouldn't be talking about this release here if it was only available on CD!

It's the complexity of the authoring, and the time taken to QC it.

that's what i have suspected. some time ago i got a copy of Sonic and even manual but after first attempt
to explore this appz, just gave up. very users unfriendly, no wonder so often discs have bad authoring.

that's what i have suspected. some time ago i got a copy of Sonic and even manual but after first attempt
to explore this appz, just gave up. very users unfriendly, no wonder so often discs have bad authoring.

It's not too bad really - but the tutorial project (and the manual & advanced concepts manual that comes with it) are also necessary.
Once you get your head around the naming protocols (mandatory) and the project structure (certain things must be imported to very specific places) and the structure of the discs themselves (for example, there is no provision in the specs to return to the PGC Menu Space once in title space) the light begins to shine.
The reason it is like it is stems from the fact it is not an abstraction layer tool, so drag/drop simply does not work & there is absolutely no provision for preview - early versions even used scripts and had no GUI at all!
The version that is "available" is also full of bugs (why, I have no idea, but again like Chrome's Paradox release must have leaked from a beta tester as the version in question was never released to customers & furthermore has the command editor & the navigation structures as separate applets - my version has a combined command editor where structure & navigation are all defined in the same applet. Much easier.
It's still not user friendly, but I reckon I can knock out a quick & dirty one faster in DAC than in Chrome.....

Back