Jackson 5 Quadraphonic mix Stereo fold down LP coming Oct 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• PMJ.jpg
    PMJ.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 159
Is this decision made purely because of the recent revival in vinyl?
Definately a missed opportunity.

I did read that some folk are using the vinyl outer sleeves as wall decoration. Who would have thought that vinyl would re-emerge as a popular medium for music.

At least the quads are safe!!

ABC, It's easy as one, two, three. :QQlove

Maybe the Dolby Labs ATMOS remix project people can use their influence
to obtain the Quad master tape (IMHO, it'd be useful for marketing purposes
to include the original Surround Sound mix along with the ATMOS remix).

(The Larry Fast/Synergy thread has posts by an individual wanting to get
the 1975 Synergy album remixed in ATMOS, maybe that same individual
can assist in getting Dolby Labs interested in this Jackson 5 album)

Kirk Bayne

I just finished listening to my conversion and man is it immersive. I could hear individual instruments and singers in each channel. If you turn off one channel it becomes like the old music minus one albums. I listened to it with my rear speakers to the sides and a bit behind me as opposed to the classic 4 in the corner set up I prefer as my apartment layout won't allow it. It could be distracting with the latter set up. It felt like I was on stage in front of Michael and the band around me. I hope Universal or whoever has the 4 channel tapes chooses to release them on a modern format, even if it is in a box set. I wonder if Victor in Japan can release it as they did with the CD4 LP. My only problems are that the album is too short for the pleasure I got from it and my conversion has a couple missed clicks still in it. There are a few songs I would not have known about if it weren't for the inclusion on this album. Not bad songs, just not the ones I would have remembered from radio or my old singles.
Do you know how it is encoded ? SQ, QS, CD-4 ? I looked around and couldn't find any info on the encoding.

I’m not sure if it’s encouraging or insulting when we get a Sabbath or J5 quad mix released as a fold-down. So close but yet so far away!

The Diana Ross quad arriving folded down did not prove to be a good clue that anything else at all was coming.

Guess the one possibly good thing is that it’s a sign that the quad tapes of the Japan releases are safe and did not get damaged or burned up in the several incidences that Uni have had.

Last edited:
Saw this (quad mix folddown) Jackson 5 vinyl LP at Walmart today (~$24), I bought it and later today, I plan to make a personal use copy with my DVD recorder.

(it happens to be on clear vinyl)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Saw this (quad mix folddown) Jackson 5 vinyl LP at Walmart today (~$24), I bought it and later today, I plan to make a personal use copy with my DVD recorder.

(it happens to be on clear vinyl)

Kirk Bayne
I tried to order one online and it was sold out. I guess I need to look again. This album (not the quad mix) was one of my very first albums I ever owned. So I’d like a special edition of it for the collection.

I tested my DVD recording on my bedroom system (w/DynaQuad), there was very little out of phase content in this stereo recording created by just adding LF+LB and RF+RB.

Now I'm interested to try my CD-4 albums folded down to stereo and decoded w/DynaQuad.

Kirk Bayne

I tested my DVD recording on my bedroom system (w/DynaQuad), there was very little out of phase content in this stereo recording created by just adding LF+LB and RF+RB.

Now I'm interested to try my CD-4 albums folded down to stereo and decoded w/DynaQuad.

Kirk Bayne
Repeating the experiment and expecting different results?

And did it sound good?

I didn't have DynaQuad set up until last year, I did have DPL2 in the receiver (since disconnected) also connected to my SH-400 demod, but I never tried a CD-4 stereo folddown thru DPL2.

I don't have my turntable connected to that system, so stereo DVD copies it is.

I looked again briefly for another copy of the J5 GH quad mix LP at the same Walmart, but didn't see another copy.

Kirk Bayne

Redid my basement surround sound system, now using my Pioneer VSX-D514 instead of my VSX-D209 receiver.

The DPL2 music mode extracts more surround content (DVD DD stereo copy of J5 GH Q LP) than DynaQuad.

Now I'm interested to hear the separate stereo mixes [and DPL2 music mode decoding] of these songs (may end up buying the MP3s).

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I didn't have DynaQuad set up until last year, I did have DPL2 in the receiver (since disconnected) also connected to my SH-400 demod, but I never tried a CD-4 stereo folddown thru DPL2.

I don't have my turntable connected to that system, so stereo DVD copies it is.

I looked again briefly for another copy of the J5 GH quad mix LP at the same Walmart, but didn't see another copy.

Kirk Bayne
Thanks for checking. If anyone sees one around let me know.
Jeff

Back